What's new

What are some of the best looking 5.1 speakers? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes.
OK, let me qualify that...if a speaker is the best sounding speaker I've ever heard, I will take it over one that looks better. While image may be important to some, I prefer sound characteristic over appearance. I would rather have something that sounds great and looks average than looks great and sounds average.

Example: Norh "drums". I don't particularly like the look of them, but if they sound great, I could learn to live with them (I've never heard them).

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I can't learn to live with something ugly. There is no "best"
speaker in the world. Best is not a measurable factor and
therfore there are certainly other speakers that look better
that will also sound as good as that "best" speaker.
Thats JMHO :)
Hey guys like the way things look too.. For example I do
not care for ML's at all. Those Bohlender Radiance's are
sweet though! :)

Scott Garmon

Auditioning
Speaker companies who utilize Industrial Design in their product development process usually create more visually appealing speakers than those who do not. After all, we live in a society that places a high value on appearance, and all things being equal, we generally gavitate towards the product that is better looking.

Speaker companies who employ ID on a regular basis include:

B&O

Canton

Boston Acoustics

Polk (their VP is an Industrial Designer)

Cambridge Soundworks

B&W

JBL

AR

Martin Logan

Jamo

Infinity (has the highest number of recent design awards)

Vienna Acoustics

Linn

Revel

Bose (at least their speakers LOOK good)

...and others that don't immediately come to mind. Personally, I favor Canton, Boston Acoustics, B&W, Infinity, and the Newton series from Cambridge (very nice sound and contemporary design aesthetics at an affordable price). The best thing about all of these companies products is that they compliment a room rather than dominating it and will look as fresh ten or twenty years from now as they look today. And all offer products that should fit in the higher end of your budget.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Daniel, I hate to be blunt, but you won't find any ML 5.1 system, not even used, under your $3K budget.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Those Wilson Benesch speakers look like euro trash garbage. The point is that if you are buying speakers just for their looks, what's the point? Spend the money on art. I would think ANYONE that bought speakers PURELY on looks was a complete poser. If you want some nice transparent speakers, check out the B&W 602s, they sound great.

You might be able to find 4 ML Aerions for $3000 though.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Larry,

They may look like "euro trash" to you. And you are entitled

to that opinion. But I hardly think you can call them garbage.

I would be willing to bet just the drivers alone cost more

than most of our mains.

Larry B

Screenwriter
I'll second the Sonus faber Amati Homage as the most beautiful speaker I've seen.

Larry

Miles_W

Second Unit
Daniel,
the best place to check for used is Audiogon
the url is...
www.audiogon.com
check under speakers / planar
good luck
( a fellow Martin logan fan!)

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
All of these posts are great!!.. I really like the looks of the KEF's. Any info on how they sound? How much they cost?

Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Angelo, the KEFs sound GREAT. The Q series are some of my favorite speakers. Not inexpensive though...

Sonus Faber are also very nice, along with Aerial, Thiel and B&W CDM & Nautilus, but they still have function before form.

MoG

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone mentioned Gallo Acoustics?
The micros are extremely attractive speakers. The dues are also quite attractive, especially the new silver ones.
And the micros look very elegant on their wallflower stands.
Gallo Acoustics

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Example: Norh "drums". I don't particularly like the look of them, but if they sound great, I could learn to live with them (I've never heard them).
I may not be a good point of reference, because I thought the Norh's at least looked "interesting" when I first saw the pictures on the web, but once I saw them in person I was completely blown away (by the wood AND marble). The pictures really don't do them justice. But perhaps the amazing sound makes them subconciously "look" so much better as well.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
I would be willing to bet just the drivers alone cost more
So do bose 990s and every single speaker in Bang and Olefson. My B&W 602s will still blow them all away sonically. When did cost become a factor in quality? The Sony Grand Wega is MUCH more expensive than a Loewe television, but they aren't even CLOSE in terms of picture quality.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
How quickly we lose focus... :)
I'd definitely put in a plug for the Polk LSi line. Attractive piano gloss black finish with either a cherry or ebony finish. Polk LSi15
Very nice and also within the price constraints outlined at the beginning of the post.
Troy

Walt N

Second Unit
I guess these are out of the question then? :b
enigma_500_500.jpg

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Larry,
I think you are being very dilusional. Wilson Benesch are
not Bose nor are they even in the same league with B&W if
you ask me.. As far as the B&W's blowing them away sonicaly
well I highly doubt it..
But you can choose to believe whatever you want. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks