What are some good underwater games?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleK, Oct 5, 2002.

1. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

I have always been fascinated with the undersea world and I love to snorkel, so I was wondering, are there any good underwater video games? I was planning to pick up Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future, because that seems to be the only one. Are there any others I should look into?
    Thanks,
    Kyle [​IMG]

2. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Aquanauts Holiday for PSOne. That game was very cool. Cna't begin to describe the type of game this is.

Aquanox / Aquanox 2 for PC. Underwater shooter. VERY good graphics. Probably help if you have a higher end video card.

Those are about the only underwater games I can think of right now. I'm sure there are more though.

3. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

any specific system? There was Seaquest for Genisis :)

4. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    Critical Depth for PSX.
    It's basically Twisted Metal with submarines and I loved the game. It really didn't get real high reviews, but honestly, most reviewers didn't seem to spend any time with the game.
    For example, this quote is from the IGN review of the game: "but it's really irritating to crash into things because you have no feeling of depth and space. Then there's the actual controls themselves. They lack finesse and have no inertia, which destroys any feeling of being underwater -- it feels stiff, like it needs a few more weeks of tuning. Some subs have better handling than others, but the majority are either too sluggish or, when you press the "turn fast" button, too twitchy."
    Total BS. I never had any problems with depth perceptions in the game. Second, there is indeed inertia. If you get a sub going fast you can turn a 180 and your sub will continue to go in the original direction, slow, and then begin traveling in the new direction. The time it takes to do this also varies with the size of the sub.
    Basically, the game's controls are difficult to master, but dead on perfect once you do. Every reviewer I saw obviously took no time trying to learn. Idiots. [​IMG]
    Anyway, it's old, but great, IMO.
    Aaron

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I don't recommend playing any games under water. It's just not good for your console.

6. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

7. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

underwater games from the top of my head :

ocean hunter
    in the hunt

somehow i keep thinking of mario sunshine!

8. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Aquanauts Holiday was for PSOne.

Aquanox is for PC.

I don't know of many on any other systems...

9. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit