What are some good martial arts movies with use of weapons on dvd?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Adams, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

We all know what has sparked this question. Kill Bill. I absolutely loved this film. It reminded me of the old martial arts movies I used to watch on Saturdays as a kid on Kung Fu and Black Belt Theatre. I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on what martial arts movies that use sword play and other weapons, that are on dvd.Thanks.

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon has some amazing sword play in it. Its not martial arts, but Mask of Zorro has amazing swordplay in it as well. Shanghai Knights has a great swordfight at the end of it. I would suggest the Star Wars movies, but they are blends of so many styles in there.

3. Justin W

Justin W Stunt Coordinator

As far as old Martial Arts flicks most of the ones available in the US aren't very good quality. Here's a few of the better ones:

These three are referenced in Kill Bill:
    Master of the Flying Guillotine (Restored Ultimate Edition)
    Five Deadly Venoms
    Five Fingers of Death

A good DVD of one of the worse Shaw Brothers movies:
    The Mighty Peking Man (Quentin Tarantino's Rolling Thunder Pictures)

Bad DVDs of great movies:
    Shaolin Master Killer
    Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms
    The 10 Faces of Sonny Chiba (Contains all 4 Street Fighter flicks)

And of course:
    Bruce Lee, The Master Collection
    Enter the Dragon (25th Anniversary)
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Others are the Zatoichi series and the Lone Wolf and Cub series.

Browsing www.hkflix.com wouldn't hurt.

If you can play region 3 DVD's there's a Shaw Brothers Collection put out by Celestial which are very good quality. Shaolin Master Killer is available in that series.

Another film I'd recommend getting if you liked Kill Bill is Battle Royale. While not a kung-fu flick per se, Quentin said it had the most influence on Kill Bill.

Enjoy.

4. WillKTaylor

WillKTaylor Stunt Coordinator

Wing Chun: Look for Michelle Yeoh and her short swords. Very well choreographed. I hear she does most of her stunts, but I can't be sure in some of the weapons scenes.

Hero: Various weapons used throughout. This film is very modern in terms of cinematography and well worth the watch other than for just the fight sequences. Comparisons can be drawn with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The HK version has an impressive DTS track if you can get it. Here, I thought I was getting a VCD (bought on eBay) and it turned out to be the real deal. So, when I spun it up, I was very impressed with the anamorphic presentation and the DTS track [​IMG]

Magnificent Butcher: Couple of good sequences with use of pole fighting. Fun movie with some cheesy and great choreography on martial arts fighting. Sammo Hung .. can't go wrong.

Master of the Flying Guillotine: The flying guillotine. Lol. Not a serious weapon, but I had to throw that in there.

Also, check out some of Jet Li's films .. the guy is seriously quick and fairly impressive with his weapons skills considering he is not a master.

When I can think of a few others, I post them ...

5. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

6. WillKTaylor

WillKTaylor Stunt Coordinator

I too own Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and if you have interest in this film, definately give Hero a chance ... and when you're done, I'd be interested to hear your opinion comparing the two. I don't think you would be disappointed in the least knowing that you enjoyed CTHD. Give it a shot ... very good film, interesting plot/story line, great acting/actor/resses .. and for the fight scenes ... you should eat it up. If not, I'll stake your copy for free. Zhang Ziyi is involved as well .. although minimally compared to Crouching. Then again, Maggie Cheung is top in this film. .... enjoy ....

7. Justin W

One I forgot that's usually considered the best Shaw Bros. film and in turn Gordon Liu (Johnny Mo) film is Invincible Pole Fighter. The only available DVD is Pan & Scan but it's a great film.

I think there's a Buena Vista Jet Li Collection that has four of his best films in it (Twin Warriors, The Enforcer, Fist of Legend, and The Defender). Iron Monkey is another good Jet Li flick, as are the first three Once Upon a Time in China movies available as a box set from Columbia Tri-Star.

On an unrelated note, I just watched Hong Kong Phooey on Cartoon Network, boy does that show bring back some memories.

8. Justin W

9. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

10. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Once Upon A Time In China trilogy is a definite must-have. However, avoid the DVD of FIST OF LEGEND if you have a widescreen set since it is not anamorphically enhanced and the subtitles are at the bottom (making it near impossible to watch on a widescreen television).

11. Justin W

most kung fu films aren't anamorphic. although they Jet Li films are more recent so they should be. Of note, every american release of a foreign Jet Li film is edited for violence.

and I'd consider him a master. I'd take him over Jackie Chan any ol day of the week.

If you're a martial arts fan though, the Celestial Shaw Bros. Series is worth getting a region free player for. Remastered Anamorphic transfers with the original language tracks and bonus features. Right now the best ones are The 36th Chamber of the Shaolin, Return to the 36th Chamber, and Two Champions of Shaolin. With many more in the works.

12. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

A second vote for the Celestial release of the 36th Chamber of Shaolin (aka Master Killer, Shaolin Master Killer, etc.). A very nice disc of a classic movie with good weapon scenes.

13. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

14. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

Since this is a Martial Arts movie thread, I have a question I need answered -
    There was a movie I enjoyed as a kid that featured 2 kids as the leaders of a "gang". One kid was around 13, the other around 10. It was called "Fists Of Dragons" I believe, but I know many of these films have alternate names. Is this film available on DVD?

15. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter