What are some good jazz DVD-A disks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Seyfarth, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Paul Seyfarth

Paul Seyfarth Stunt Coordinator

Could I also get a discription of the tracks, or where I could listen to a demo.

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

You might want to try looking at www.hiresmusic.com - they seem to be putting out some really good Concord Jazz titles.
    On Warner's there is Billy Cobham "Spectrum" - which is fusion jazz - classic album though.
    Warners has also issued Grover Washington Jr's. - "Winelight", as well as an album by "Fourplay".
    Even though these are not true DVD-Audio discs, Classic Records has released quite a few Digital Audio Discs (DAD) that have a pure 96/24 bitstream. Titles inlcude Coltrane "Blue Train" and a classic Canonball Aderly title among others.
    You can check the Classic DADs out on www.elusivedisc.com.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I second the recommendation for the DADs. I have Blue Train by Coltrane, Open Sesame by Freddie Hubbard, and Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley. Musically, they are wonderful, and sonically, they are amazing. Personally, I feel that these older jazz recordings are benefitting more than any other style with the higher resolution, so it's definitely worth checking out.

I don't have any jazz DVD-As. I will get Spectrum at some point. There just isn't much out there, though. SACD has a lot more stuff.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, SACD has it all over DVD-Audio when it comes to jazz. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but if you are a jazz fan, you ought to consider picking up an inexpensive SACD player like the Sony SCD-CE775 carousel changer for $180. It plays CDs too. SACD offers jazz artists like Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Herbie Hancock, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Charles Mingus, and a host of others.

5. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I don't have any jazz DVD-A's yet, but on my wish list is Bucky Pizzarelli's "Swing Live" on Chesky records. It has gotten tremendous reviews for being both a great performance and recording.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor