What's new

What are some good jazz DVD-A disks? (1 Viewer)

Michael_T

Second Unit
You might want to try looking at www.hiresmusic.com - they seem to be putting out some really good Concord Jazz titles.
On Warner's there is Billy Cobham "Spectrum" - which is fusion jazz - classic album though.
Warners has also issued Grover Washington Jr's. - "Winelight", as well as an album by "Fourplay".
Even though these are not true DVD-Audio discs, Classic Records has released quite a few Digital Audio Discs (DAD) that have a pure 96/24 bitstream. Titles inlcude Coltrane "Blue Train" and a classic Canonball Aderly title among others.
You can check the Classic DADs out on www.elusivedisc.com.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I second the recommendation for the DADs. I have Blue Train by Coltrane, Open Sesame by Freddie Hubbard, and Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley. Musically, they are wonderful, and sonically, they are amazing. Personally, I feel that these older jazz recordings are benefitting more than any other style with the higher resolution, so it's definitely worth checking out.

I don't have any jazz DVD-As. I will get Spectrum at some point. There just isn't much out there, though. SACD has a lot more stuff.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Paul, SACD has it all over DVD-Audio when it comes to jazz. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but if you are a jazz fan, you ought to consider picking up an inexpensive SACD player like the Sony SCD-CE775 carousel changer for $180. It plays CDs too. SACD offers jazz artists like Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Herbie Hancock, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Charles Mingus, and a host of others.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I don't have any jazz DVD-A's yet, but on my wish list is Bucky Pizzarelli's "Swing Live" on Chesky records. It has gotten tremendous reviews for being both a great performance and recording.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Paul, SACD has it all over DVD-Audio when it comes to jazz. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but if you are a jazz fan, you ought to consider picking up an inexpensive SACD player like the Sony SCD-CE775 carousel changer for $180. It plays CDs too. SACD offers jazz artists like Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Herbie Hancock, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Charles Mingus, and a host of others.
I agree with this, too.
NP: Sam Phillips: "The Indescribable Wow" (which by the way, I own on DAD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.