What are some good all-region or region-free DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremiah W, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Jeremiah W

Jeremiah W Stunt Coordinator

Are there any good movies on DVD that are NOT available in region 1 but are on DVD(all region/region free)[obviously the discs need to have an English audio track since I don't speek French or Spanish]

2. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Some will tell you Jeremiah that region free dvds are bootlegs. However, that simply is not true in all cases. One example: Anne of Green Gables is region free, as is Anne of Green Gables, the sequel. These I bought in Canada and they work on my region 2, region 1, and region free players. Great movies! Also, one of my criterion disks is region free

3. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Well, it's also important to know if your set can display PAL video. If so, there are a lot of nice region-free DVD's for you to find. If your set can only handle a NTSC signal, however, it's better not to import anything from Europe or Australia, where the standard is PAL.
    An example of a nice region free NTSC DVD is the Korean Pulp Fiction. It's a nice 2 dvd set and has much better video quality than the R1 version.

4. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

I heartily second the Pulp Fiction recommendation!

5. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

Shaolin Soccer is the best film and best quality region 0 DVD that I've seen. It's a Chinese film with english subtitles and menus. Incredibly fun film with some great f/x. You can find it for pretty cheap on ebay.

6. MaxY

MaxY Guest

It is important to note NTSC or PAL on the DVDs.

Some players can convert PAL to NTSC such as some of the JVC Models, APex and even the Xbox can do, while others will not.

You can also buy a region free DVD player that will switch regions. I just got myself a JVC XV75 that will convert PAL->NTSC and switch regions easily with a a special Mod. You can buy them with the mod allready done for you. for about $349.

Then you can search the whole world for DVDs you want and never have to worry about them no working your player.

Max

7. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a region-free NTSC coded DVD of [rant]Croupier[/rant] out there (I saw it in SF last week). It's not available in Region 1, and it's a pretty good movie.

Joseph