What's new

What are some good 8"subs (1 Viewer)

Alan M

Second Unit
I have the athena S-2 sub.8" that goes to down to 25 hz.Not in the least boomy and very responive.It runs about $375,cant be bought at BB,but can be found online.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The CHT-8 should be a very musical sub. You will probably be impressed. It features circuitry that limits the big transients when the music pushes the driver real hard, so you don't get as much distortion, but it can't go as deep as the Velodyne servo-based ones. It is in a bass-reflex box, though, and it should be as good or better than the VX-10.

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
Had the Energy S8.2 for a couple of months and it performs amazingly well @ $200 for music. The only negative I noticed was it couldnt hit the very low of lows at extremely loud volumes ie. the scene in Finding Nemo where the little girl is tapping on the fish tank.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

I don't know if you can expect that of a compact sub. I've got the same one (S8.2) and will agree that it is a good sub for music and most theatre use, but if you want huge bass, you shouldn't be looking at small subs (Sunfire maybe being an exception). My friend has a JBL S120PII in a hardwood floored room, and that sub just ignites the whole room with solid solid rumble. The only thing is though is that sub is aboslutely massive.

The Athena sub is also good, it resides in my theatre setup in addition to the other Athena speakers in my setup. It has plenty of boom, but it's not as defined as I want it to be, but to the dismay of the local Future Shop, I've gone through 3 subs from them already and just decided that this would be a cheap alternative until I could afford more time/energy/money to finding a good sub for my room. Alot of it is placement (and PATIENCE in placement), and room acoustics. The return policy is key here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks