What's new

What are some good 8"subs (1 Viewer)

Shannon S.

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently in the market for a smaller 8" sub to finish out my bedroom set. So far I have a Nad integrated stereo amplifier and a Nad cd player. My speakers are B&W 601s. Of course the leading candidate is a B&W ASW 300. What else is out there? Is the ASW 300 decent. I will be using the system primarily for music.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The velodyne will own those other ones. At least I think so. The HSU will be a good option for a lower-priced selection.

Shannon S.

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to limit my spending on this one to $350.00. Does HSU sell online only? Thanks for all of the replys so far:) .

PatrickDT

Grip
If you're looking for a consumer grade sub, but nothing insane, check out Athena Technology's 8". I think it retails for 300, but you could score it considerably less, even at Best Buy, and it's got a 300 Watt amp, and a decent frequency range.

Shannon S.

Stunt Coordinator
I already went for the under $200.00 sub with the Sony SAWM40 when I first stated out and was not pleased with it. I figure that If I start out looking in the $300.00 and up range, I have reached a solid foundation. I just tried out my Infinity Entra sub 2 from my home theatre (12" sub) and it was too large for the bedroom set up, so I want a quality 8"sub.

Andrew JC

Stunt Coordinator
Shannon S. I auditioned the ASW300 yesterday. Even at $250 I was not that impressed. It seemed a little slow and not that tight. Granted it was hooked up via the speaker connections so I only listened using music only. I also listened to the Energy 8.2 sub. It performed very well on some scenes from Spiderman. However, I did not listen to music on that sub. My last audition was the Velodyne SPL 800. At $750 its performance was jaw dropping to say the least. At 3 times the price of the B&W it should be. That's the sub I think I'm getting! Initially I planned on getting the Atlantic Technology T70 sub at accessories4less.com Mark had it $209 plus S/H but I waited to long and lost out.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Shannon,
If music is a concern, I'd look very hard at the Adire Audio Rava. I know of a way to get 5% more off of the price too. Just PM for details.

Shannon S.

Stunt Coordinator
Shane, how much does the Adire Audio Rava cost and how big is it? I looked it up in my 2004 buyers guide and that company was not listed.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Surprised no one has suggested the Velodyne CHT-8
It doesn't extend as low as some of the others, so its not so hot for movies. Its got a strong hit for such a little tyke for music though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks