What are some good 200w x 7 amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Apr 2, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Eventually I want one of these amps to power Paradigm Studio 100 x 2, a Studio CC, and Studio 20 x 4. I'm looking for something affordable, so I obviously have had my eye on the Outlaw amp. If anybody has any other suggestions, I'd like to know. Just so you know I'll eventually be using an Denon 1082 (3802) as a preamp.

james

2. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Here are a few. Outlaw 770, B&K 7270, Aragon 2007, and Sherwood is coming out with a new one in May.

I was looking into the same thing to pair with my Pioneer 49TX. I eventally got an ACURUS A200X5 for the fronts an sides. The Pioneer should have more than ample power for just the Back surrounds.

3. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

James,
    Outside of Outlaw, you'd be hard pressed to find a 200w 7-channel amp in a decent price range. Although these amps would meet your required specs;
    I'm sure there are more. Also, don't rule out getting multiple amps, say a good 5 channel and another 2 channel or a 4 channel and a 3 channel, etc.
    Troy

4. LorenzoD

LorenzoD Agent

5. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

6. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks for the information guys, you have given me a wealth of information!

james

7. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Did Sherwood ever come out with the the 7 channel amp, because I can't find info on it at all. Also are there any new 7 channel amps that came out in the last couple months? I'm looking for something to run Paradigm Studios with a Sony DA5ES. I'm looking for an amp that will give a nice warm sound to it with plenty of power for bass. Thanks!

James

8. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

James-

The amp I have mated with my Sony 5ES is a Parasound 855 which is a REAL warm amp. Very nice and tight on the bass and mids. I have my friends Rockets 750 hooked up to them and they are enough for the rockets!

Im sure the bigger Parasound will be a little better but if Price is an issue, you can always buy 2 Parasound HCA-1205 (120X5 THX Certified) at around $600-700 each and bi-amp the Paradigm speakers!

Good Luck!

Angelo

9. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

My next upgrade is going to be a Parasound HCA-1205 to mate with my 5ES, it will have to wait a while though since I just finish setting up my 7.1 setup and purchased a new RP-91.

Angelo,

How do those Rockets sound? I bet they are sweet.

10. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

James,

I agree with Troy. Don't rule out a five channel plus a two channel, that's what I did. Yes, I would like the Aragon 2007, but for $3,000. I have about $1,200 in my amp set-up by using two.

11. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I'm very happy with the Outlaw 770. I'd say it's a very detailed, relatively neutral amp; sounds very nice mated to the Rotel 1066 and my Axiom speakers. A 7-channel amp was appealing to me due to limited rack space, and the Outlaw seemed to offer the most bang for the buck.

12. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I would agree with Jeff's assessment of the 770. I use mine with the Outlaw 950 and really think its a great value. No coloration as far as I can tell, very neutral, which I prefer for an amp. The reason I chose an all in one over 7 mono-blocks is I didn't like the idea of adding 6 more power cords into my setup.

13. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

14. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Sherbourn has a 7 channel coming too (if it isn't out alread).

I have a 5/2 setup. Rotel RMB-1095 (5x200) and RB-1090 (2x380) total price $3300. You could get the Rotel RB-1080 (2x200) for about 800 less.

Marc

15. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks for all the info guys and it's nice to hear some good things being said about the Outlaw amp too. Right now I think that's the front runner because of it's price point. Although I am interested to find out some information on that Sherbourne amp and the Sherwood amp too.

James

16. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

another one: Anthem pva-7

17. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

The Anthem PVA-7 doesn't have nearly 200Wpc though.

18. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

The Sherbourn will be coming out in the next few months, but it's gonna list for around $2800, making the Outlaw the best deal so far. Also, Outlaw is coming out with a lower-powered 7 channel amp if you can tolerate less than 200 watts/per.

19. Mike Thomas

Mike Thomas Auditioning

James,

Overlooked is the ATI amp 250 x 5 at a very good price. I picked one up for $2,300 delivered overnight.

I have this amp running my Paradigm 100's, CC and 20's with the Anthem AVM20. I have plenty of power to spare and I think the unit sound very good. I have heard all of the comments that the amp was bright before I bought it. When I first bought it I to thought it was bright as well as I thought the speakers were bright. After about a month all calmed down. I than constructed my own accoustical wall panals and the system now sound killer.

I would take a look at the ATI amp and its build quality for the price. Also keep in mind that ATI produces components for Outlaw I believe.