What's new

What are some careers that let me carry a breifcase and wear a suit and tie? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hey guys, i was just talking with my friend about future careers, and i told him i wanted a career in downtown vancouver where I'd get to wear a suit and tie and carry a breifcase everywhere and stuff, but one problem.. I dont know of many exact careers that'll let me do that.
Right now i just have the broad image of 'businessman'.
What carrers should I look into to that let me wear a suit and tie and breifcase? (kinda like the look Nicolas Cage had in THE FAMILY MAN... without the penthouse and the Ferarri 550Maranello :D )

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
A accountant, Lawyer, Broker, captain in the Mafia any of these will have a suit on at least 4 days a week.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Actually, if you are unemployed for an extended period of time you will get to wear a suit and carry a briefcase all the time while you are interviewing for a new job. :D
BTW: You will learn to hate neckties and hot jackets very quickly. ;)

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
A accountant, Lawyer, Broker, captain in the Mafia any of these will have a suit on at least 4 days a week.
Actually, no. Most law firms in Vancouver are very much business casual, as are most brokerages and accounting firms. Investment bankers have been known to wear suits from time to time.

This, by the way, is true almost everywhere in North America -- even New York. The only place that springs to mind where suits are still standard fare is London.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
BTW: You will learn to hate neckties and hot jackets very quickly.
So very true! Nothing beats a nice wool suit and stiff, starched shirt on hot, humid summer afternoon! Yes sir, that collar feels like sandpaper against your sweaty neck and the dark suit is a wonderful heat sink!

Give me Dockers and a golf shirt anyday...

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I'm the VP of information systems for a community bank in Michigan and I have to wear a suit and tie to work 4 days a week. I'm not particularly fond of that aspect of my job. Curious why you would want to seek out a job that would require this kind of attire? Trust me, it's no fun to maintain 2 wardrobes, dry cleaning bills, etc. Not to mention ties are so much fun on warm days. But then again you probably don't get many hot days in Vancouver.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This, by the way, is true almost everywhere in North America -- even New York.
It's changing back. "Business casual" was largely a product of the internet bubble, when lawyers and investment bankers started to dress more like their clients. That culture has largely faded into history, and the old ways are starting to reassert themselves.

M.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Nick --
You've got it backwards -- LEAVE the suit and briefcase, TAKE the penthouse and the car!!! :D
Matt

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Process server or salesman. The only people I see around my office in suits are b2b sales guys and job interviewees.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Haha, thanks guys for the reply...

I dunno why... I think it just looks kinda cool.. :p)
I was just thinking of something in business and commerce, working for a big company or something.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Are things really going back to suits from casual? Been out of that scene for a while . I started the Master's degree last year, but going through Co-Op here at Waterloo, I worked for a lot of different companies over the last five years. Most of the tech companies were super casual unless they were meeting with clients, which was more than fine with me. Is this really changing back?

Really, the only place I can see a backlash against casual happening is in places like Banks.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Nick, you could just wear that attire at whatever job you got. :) At my job, we all wear the standard "business casual" uniform, but one day I decided to come into the office in a suit and tie. They were all asking me if I had a job interview somewhere. :)
/Mike

ChrisP

Agent
I've seen several articles lately about the return to business formal from business casual, and how productivity is better with suits, and how casual work wear can only hurt your company. The funny thing about all of them is they ALL are based on studies done by the Mens Business Apparel Association or something like that, and include many quotes from the spokesperson from said orginization....
You don't think that the Suit makers and sellers would be trying to push the trend back to suits, do ya?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Chris, you're right about that. There was a report on NPR about that a while ago, where they said that suitmakers had really taken a hit in recent years. They tried to start things like "dress-up monday" to get people to wear more suits again, and they had done thuse surveys and stuff to prove their point. So I would definitely take their reports with a grain of salt.

/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks