What's new

What are some advertising campaigns that changed the world? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
LOL, John! (I will review your member profile later! :) )
Another one: The original campaign for Federal Express in 1982. It built the company up almost overnight, took humor in advertising to new levels, and saved the ad agency itself (the billing rates more than doubled).
And then there was Alka-Seltzer's dryly hilarious ads from the very early '70s: "I can't believe I ate the whole thing," "Mamamia, that's-a-some-'speecy'-pizza!," etc. (I think that was an Ogilvy and Mather-created campaign, too.)
Okay, said the geezer, then there was the "Marlboro Man" from the mid- to late '60s. Most of you have never seen commercials for cigarettes.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
There are several Brit slogans indelibly etched onto the UK public's imagination (at least for anyone over a certain age). E.g.

'clunk, click, every trip' (a government information film to encourage people to use saftey belts)

'eight out of ten owners said their cats preferred it' (slogan for a brand of cat food - the slogan later had to be changed to 'eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred it')

'vorsprung durch technic' ('forward through technology' - advert for Audi)

'go to work on an egg' (the Egg Marketing Board encouraging people to have eggs for breakfast)

'be like dad - keep mum' (wartime slogan, now horrendously sexist of course, warning people about the danger of gossiping about military details)

'I bet he drinks Carling Black Label' (brand of lager - the TV adverts typically showed someone doing something patently impossible, followed by one man saying to another 'I bet ...')

'Heineken refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach'

'how do you eat yours?' (an advert for creme-filled chocolate eggs, in case you're wondering)

and so on. I doubt if they changed the world, but they certainly permanently blighted the language.

Incidentally, the thing about Coke and Santa Claus - although Coke didn't invent the red and white Santa, they're probably responsible for fixing that image in people's minds as the standard one around the world. Although the red and white Santa was on the ascendent before Coke started their campaign, after it, red and white was absolutely the norm.

'

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Whazzzzup!

Though I haven't seen it (yet): Clydesdales paying tribute to the Sept. 11 victims.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Don't squeeze the Charmin!
You're soaking in it
Rock The Vote commercials on MTV (made tons and tons of teens get pumped up to vote)
Time to make the doughnuts

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Sure, there are a lot of good ad campaigns. Absolute, Gap, anything with Britney... But I'm looking for television, print, or radio ads that truely changed the way the world worked. For example, Coca-Cola basically invented the idea of Santa Clause. Any ideas? Thanks!

I don't think any ad campaign that sells anything has changed or could change the way the world works. Maybe a product could, but

not its marketing campaign.

I don't think any of the ABOVE ad campaigns have changed the way the world works. There is one marketing idea that did change the world. Soap is a generic product that was easily produced by mixing fat ashes, applying to the body with water to remove grease and dirt. So why would you ever go purchase something that you could produce so easily and cheaply? The first advertising for soap in the late 1800's hit on a formula that endurs to tis day. The product could be produced consistantly, and the consumer's ego was stroked by telling him/her that they were making a wise and healthful decision to purchase the specific brand of soap. The advertiser never had to explain that the cost of the store bought soap was cheaper than the home made variety as the buyer was freed from the mundane and boring chore to engage in other more productive activity.

When you get in your car and drive around town another marketing concept will appear obvious. You will likely drive past the same style of building offering an identical product that we will all recognize. Franchising has changed how we purchase restaurant food and has made a significant change on our landscape.

I can walk over to my tap and pour out a glass of the most generic substance imaginable; water. Yet a markeing genius has put this substance in a bottle and is actually selling it!

And it all started by selling soap.

Oops, sorry guys, I hit strike thru instead of the quote. Not trying to dis you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks