What are separates?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PeterK, Aug 14, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

What exactly are separates. My best guess is they are some sort of individual speaker reciever, or something like that? It's pretty sad that I on this forum all the time and I still dont know what separates are.

2. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

A receiver actually has 3 components in 1.
    1)Tuner
    2)Amplifier
    3)Preamplifier
    A home theater receiver adds a surround processor.
    You can buy these components 'separately' , as in separates, or in all in one boxes.

3. Bruce-E

Bruce-E Stunt Coordinator

When you have pre/pro and a separte amp.
    It's two pieces of equiptment connected by rca innerconnects.

A receiver is processor with a built amp section.

Separtes use external amp.

4. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Also separates allow a manufacturer to concentrate on putting quality components into a box based on it's function. Each box has it's own power supply - usually an upgraded -greater capacity and whatever better electronics the manufacturer wants to use for improved sound, video, etc. Separates also allow it's owner to upgrade individual components rather than having to replace a single piece that contains both amps, receiver, tuner, etc. Long ago, separates we the way stereo components were supplied, and as time progress, technology improved and the trickle down effect was applied, manufacturers turned to single multi-function units. Separates are still available and usually at a greater cost than a single multi-function unit, but the benefit gained by going separates is greatly appreciated by it's owners.

Search around the forum here and you'll find plenty of discussions on the topic.

5. Andy_Steb

Andy_Steb Stunt Coordinator

Don't leave out, pre/pro = preamp/processor

Most people on this forum try to pick a receiver that has pre outs. Pre outs allow you to add an external amplifier bypassing the receivers amplifiers. Thus allowing you an easier way to upgrade to seperates.

Don't feel bad at all. That is what the forum is all about. Even the experts ask the other experts for advice. If everyone knew all the answers we wouldn't need the forum.

6. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Yeah, when I was first shopping for stereo speakers, I wanted a pair of the 'B' word speakers [​IMG]