What are SACD's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler T, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Tyler T

Tyler T Stunt Coordinator

(Sorry if this is not the right place to post this)

Title says all.

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    SACD is an audio format, using DVD technology, but which competes directly with DVD-Audio. It's being pushed primarily by Sony.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Tyler, SACD is a high-resolution format co-developed by Sony and Philips that exceeds the fidelity provided by the CD. An SACD is a 5" optical disc like a CD. However, the pit size of an SACD is much smaller than that of a CD, and like the DVD-Video format, an SACD is read by a smaller-wavelength laser than a CD. An SACD, therefore, is a higher-density disc than a CD. Also, CD and DVD-Audio are encoded in Pulse Code Modulation (PCM), but SACD is encoded in Direct Stream Digital (DSD), which in essence is a 1-bit, 2.8224-MHz encoding scheme. The sampling rate of SACD is much higher than that of CD (44.1 kHz). The high sampling rate of SACD is attributed to the great dynamic range and frequency response of the format relative to CD.
    For more on SACD, see the following link:
    http://www.sonymusic.com/sacd/
    Also, both Circuit City and Best Buy sell budget SACD players and have them on display. They also sell some of the discs. Internet resources for SACDs include the following:
    www.amazon.com
    www.amusicdirect.com
    www.acousticsounds.com
    www.elusivedisc.com
    www.circuitcity.com
    Also, www.crutchfield.com is a good resource for information on Sony SACD players.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Tyler,
    Also see www.superaudio-cd.com for a complete description of the music.
    Go to your local Tower Records or Circuit City and ask about it. They usually have listening stations set up, particularly at CC. You can hear the difference there.
    Happy listening!

5. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

There are two competing formats which really sucks. I wish they could just agree on one standard. Any high-end audio format is already going to have a hard enough time succeeding.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I would not worry Craig. A winner will emerge soon enough. You can always vote with your wallet and hold off until then.
    As for me, there are too many great titles with great sonics and I am buying every SACD I can afford.
    [​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, I would characterize SACD and DVD-Audio as high-resolution formats, not high-end formats. High-end implies high price. You can buy SACD and DVD-Audio players for as little as $200 now. Examples include the Sony SCD-CE775 (SACD), Sony DVP-NS500V (SACD), Panasonic DVD-RA60 (DVD-Audio), and Toshiba SD-4700 (DVD-Audio). Also, SACDs and DVD-Audio discs are not much more expensive than CDs now. In fact, Warner recently dropped the prices of its DVD-Audio discs to CD levels. Www.circuitcity.com sells the Warner discs for $13.99. Amazon sells them for $14.99. On the SACD side, Best Buy sells Sony titles for the price of CDs in some stores. So, there really is no price barrier preventing the masses from getting into both formats now.

8. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

I think (and hope) SACD will prevail over DVD Audio because its conventional CD layer provides a much smoother migration path from standard CD which is absolutely critical for acceptance, IMO.

9. andrew markworthy

Sorry, but we've seen this all before with VHS versus Betamax, and DAT (and several variants) versus minidisc. I've given up doing the beta testing for hi-fi companies. Just let me know when one system has been decided upon, and I'll buy into that.

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Andrew,
    Not even for better sound of The Who and The Rolling Stones? I think its worth it for a $160 investment in a player.
    By the way, DAT survives well for homebrew recording - see this month's Stereophile, John Marks column.
    [​IMG]

11. andrew markworthy

Lee, not even for Gryphon and the Yellow Magic Orchestra!

SACD et al are still expensive over here, and the range of disc titles is very limited. To be honest, regardless of price, I'm not sure I'll buy a new CD or DVD player for a while (except to replace a broken player) until the market sorts itself out, and then I'll go for a top of the range unit that will do everything in one package.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andrew, to each his own. $400 USD gets you players in both formats ($200 USD players for each one). The price of admission is not high. Why not enjoy some great-sounding music now? No one knows if and when things will distill down to just one format.