What's new

What are my subwoofer options for music and HT in the $850.00 range? (1 Viewer)

Leo

Second Unit
Todd, you don't mention what you currently have as speakers nor do you mention the room size you plan on putting it in (if there is a limit to the size of sub you want to use). The recommendation I would offer is either a PSB Image 6 or an sub from SVS.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
A great sub does everything well. I think it is a common misconception that a sub good for HT is somehow worse for music, or vice versa. The two are not mutually exclusive realms.

I will say this - HT is by far more demanding on a sub than music. If a sub does HT well, it will handle the demands of music easily.

To paraphrase Peter Aczel of The Audio Critic - a subwoofer sounds exactly as it measures. It is a relatively simple device that presents no mysteries and hides no subtleties. It has a frequency response, a dynamic limit, and a distortion range - that's it.

If you buy a sub that has a flat FR, very low distortion, good transient response, deep extension, and high SPL capability - it will sound great on everything.

With that said, my first choice in your price range would be the SVS 20-39PC+, which uses the TC Sounds dB-12 woofer. If you don't like the cylinder, SVS offers the PB1-ISD for $600, which uses the slightly less capable (as compared to the dB-12) Improved Standard Driver and is tuned to about 22 Hz.

See it all at www.svsubwoofers.com

Other fine subs in that price range I would not be ashamed to own are:

HSU VTF-3
HSU TN1220 HO w/ external amp
Klipsch RSW-12 (lacks deep extension; otherwise excellent)
Paradigm PW2200
Velodyne SPL-1200

david stark

Second Unit
I will say this - HT is by far more demanding on a sub than music. If a sub does HT well, it will handle the demands of music easily.
I would have to disagree on that. I admit a sub usually has more to do in HT than music, but music generally contains a lot more subtleties than films do and poorer subs can not handle this and can only give big booms. I think it is much easier to get away with a poor sub in HT as opposed to music.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I would have to disagree on that. I admit a sub usually has more to do in HT than music, but music generally contains a lot more subtleties than films do and poorer subs can not handle this and can only give big booms. I think it is much easier to get away with a poor sub in HT as opposed to music.
Hi David:

I never said being able to produce big booms was my bench mark for a great HT subwoofer.

What I meant was - all other things being equal - the hottest HT DVDs will expose a subwoofer with poor dynamic range more quickly than the typical music track (except maybe for hip hop).

I will admit you don't hear much acoustic bass guitar, jazz kick drums, kettle drums, or organ pipe on HT DVDs. With that said, I have found the best and newest DVD soundtracks to contain all sorts of subtle and detailed bass notes that change in timbre and texture and which require a great sub to reproduce properly and accurately.

Dynamic range issues not withstanding, the difference between a poor sub and a great sub on HT is just as dramatic and noticeable as it is with music, IMHO.

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
I think it is much easier to get away with a poor sub in HT as opposed to music.
Whether this is true or not is only important to a person trying to "get away" with a poor sub.

With an $850 budget and the availability of excellent subs in that price range from SVS, Hsu and Adire (not to mention DIY), "poor" subs just don't enter the picture here.

I think there may be an underlying misconception that to be "good for HT" a sub merely needs to be loud and maybe low. The reality is that soundtracks contain subtle bass, both in the sound effects and in the background music.

To me (and I think Edward also sees it this way), a sub has to get everything right to be considered "good for HT"...the loud and the deep and the subtle. And if it succeeds in doing all that, it will then be "good for music".

CurtisC

Second Unit
The sub's I tried all sounded different,better or worse with music.You should try all you can in your range,I think you will hear a difference too.Most important DON'T buy on recomendations only.Many people like the model they bought,that's good for them,maybe not for you.I have owned some highly recomended subs,some were not so great(for me) as some other people thought.There are good subs in your $range,most will perform well,buy/get loaner, and try it at home first.After that if you ain't happy with anything local,look at online company's,the ones with good return policy's.Good Luck!

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
I am running 4 jbl s-38's for front and rear and the s-center for speakers. My room is 10x23 perfect rectangle and I will most likely be pairing all this with the hk 525. So what are your thoughts now. I appreciate your replies everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread