What are my options if i just want the network Channels

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mark Leiter, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

This is really fustrating. I was trying to get just the boadcast channels from Adelphia, all total about 10 channels for about $14 a month. But on the morning of the install, i was informed that they could not do it because since i have thier cable internet they arent able to connect just the broadcast channels. I can only have the "classic cable" package which would mean that i would have to pay about $100 a month for cable tv/internet!!!!

Do I have any options. I really have no desire for any cable package. I just want my local networks for the news and what-have-you. I live in an apartment so getting a good antenna is not an option and i'm pointed in the wrong direction for me to get Voom sat.(which in my opinion would be worth the $50 a month).

Thanks

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Mark, that doesn't sound right. I would call back and ask for a supervisor. I've heard that if you subscribe to cable internet, you automatically get basic cable with it. Do you have a way to hook up a TV to the cable jack (RF input)?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jim, I think it all depends on the company and the market. Here in the Houston area we have the same situation, getting soaked with a double bill for both cable and high-speed. However, my son in Corpus Christie pays I think $65 for phone, high-speed and basic cable, all from the same company.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Another reason I love my satellite.

5. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

Jim brings up a good point. The cable signal has to be coming into your home to get the modem service. Attaching a cable ready TV (any TV), it should get all of the unscrambled channels (many more than just the locals). I guess being unwilling to take your $14 a month is one of the reasons Adelphia is in bankruptcy.
    I have a TV tuner card in my computer, I just split the cable before it gets to the modem. I get the modem service, and I can watch all the unscrambled channels on my computer. The cable company doesn't charge you to hook up as many TVs to service, so it's definitely worth your effort to give it a try.

6. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

That's interesting. When I switched to DirecTV, I wanted to keep my comcast internet. It wasn't going to be a problem to keep only the internet, but the Comcast rep I spoke to told me I ought to keep the basic cable for $13 since any cable tv service qualified me for a $15 discount on the internet. So I save $2 a month (woohoo) but also have a backup connection in case something happens to my satellite. Either you spoke to someone who doesn't know what they are doing (likely with most cable CSR's) or Adelphia needs to get their act together.

7. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

>"I live in an apartment so getting a good antenna is not an option..."

Why not? Unless you're one of those odd folks who cares more about decor than HT ([​IMG]), you can easily put either an indoor (e.g. Silver Sensor) or small outdoor antenna up to receive OTA channels.

I have a ChannelMaster 3021 outdoor antenna in a second floor office window and get about a dozen stations from 2 cities. Free.

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

The Silver Sensor isn't good for VHF. It's good for HDTV, but that's because most HDTV stations broadcast on the UHF frequencies. And, unless you happen to have a "view" in the direction of your local stations, you'll be cursing and moaning about either snow or multipath.

9. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Right. I was thinking only of digital channels, most of which are currently in UHF band. Though Silver Sensor can pick up high VHF fairly well, sometimes.

10. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

On my silver sensor, '9' is half decent, '7' is iffy, and '4' and '5' are right out. The hdtv simulcasts, on the other hand...