What are good choices for Receiver and Speakers under $1500?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_TN, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Dan_TN

Dan_TN Auditioning

I just bought a TOshiba 50H82 and now will need a decent receiver and speakers to go with it. I want to spend no more than $1500 total. What would be some good choices?

Dan

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'd reccomend one of the following three setups, depending on where you'd rather invest the most $$ (Speakers, or Receiver):

Better Speakers:

Receiver: Denon 1803
    Speakers: JBL S38 Mains, S26 surrounds (2 pairs), S-Center
    Subwoofer: Sony SA-WM40
    Total: under $1400

Better Receiver:

Receiver: Denon 3802
    Speakers: JBL N38 Mains, NSP1 Package (4 N24s, N Center)

Compromise:

Receiver: Denon 2802
    Speakers: JBL S26 (3 pairs), S Center

Either of these setups would sound great. If you're a big music listener, you would be better off to go with the Better Speaker setup. If you're mainly a HT enthusiast, the better receiver route might be of most advantage. If you're fairly mixed, the compromise route would be best.

All the setups i listed are 7.1 speakers setups. You could save some money, or get better speakers/receiver for the $$ if you only went with a 5.1 setup. This is mostly a question of personal preference and room size.

I used the Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer in all 3 setups because it's one of the best sub woofers around and a steal at around $200. Add $3 worth of polyfill, and it sounds better than anything else for under $500.

Hope this helps.

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I would first say to start with a 5.1 setup as opposed to a 7.1 setup. You can always add speakers later. here is my suggestion
    Receiver: HK 520 ~550-600
    Speakers-Mains: 1 pair of JBL S38 OR Axiom M3ti~275
    Speakers-Surround: 1 pair of JBL S26 or Axiom M1ti ~175
    Speakers-Center: 1 JBL S Center or Axiom VPS50 ~150-175
    Subwoofer: Hsu VTF2 or Adire Rava ~350-400
    Total: $1500-1625, and will give you much better bass and musicality than the systems listed above, no offence, stephen

4. Dan_TN

Dan_TN Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I will take a look at the JBL speakers.

What about the Energy Take 5.2's?

5. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I think in here you will find fans of almost every speaker and receiver brand. Energy Takes is a good pakage. But for me JBL is the leader in $1000 budget.

And for me SVS also makes the best subs under $1000. You might buy an SVS 25-31PCi for $550

Try
    Four S26 = $370
    S center = $141
    SVS 25-31 PCi =$550

And for receiver, I agree with previous comments about H/K AVR520 it is going very cheap right now. Or you might check also DENON 1803 and Marantz SR6200. Very good choices for the money.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

6. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Check out the Ascend Acoustics package here. And the Denon 1803.

7. Dan_TN

Dan_TN Auditioning

Where do i find the S26's or do I need the S26II's?

8. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

dmc-electronics.com for a nice psb setup (they often deal at lower prices than on their website)

and get a used or B stock outlaw 1055 unless you need DP2, in which case get the H&K 225.

good luck

the take 5.2 is a good bargain, a lot of people like the athena's, the paradigm, and the AR glossy ones, but i never heard any of them, so i cant say.

Rich

9. RandyKudor

RandyKudor Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Russ's suggestion. The complete 5.1 system from Ascend (which includes the renowned Hsu Research subwoofer) is the way to go.

I own their 22-1003 system (Hsu vtf-3 as opposed to vtf-2) and it is an incredible system for both HT and music!

10. Iain

Iain Agent

For what it's worth, here's what I'm getting for around your budget to go with a Toshiba 42HDX82 (and I researched this to death [​IMG]):
    Receiver: Marantz SR5300, $530 (out later this month)
    6.1 speaker set-up: Paradigm Focus (mains), CC-170 (center), Atoms (surrounds), and PDR-12 (sub): $1,140
    Cheers, Iain

11. Dan_TN

Dan_TN Auditioning

If I were to go with the JBL S26's, what is the best way to mount them? The room is 14x18 and the TV would be on one wall and the couch up against the other wal 14' feet away. How should I arrange the speakers with the couch being against the wall?

12. Chris Mickle

Chris Mickle Auditioning

Well, there is some pretty fair advice there, the Denon recievers listed are a great buy, a wonderfull value! I also agree that the JBL speaker choices give you more for your money, but you would be so much better off to look out on e-bay or on classifieds in this and other sites for some paradigm or definitive technology used speakers at a much higher quality. Or my choices would be to either p/u an Atlantic Technologies 270 THX (about 800 new) or a used package of higher end for no more money.
    My #1 choice in that price range however, would be to p/u some used NHT super 2s or preferably 2.5i speakers for the front, then super ones for the rear, and either an extra super one for the front, or better a super center 1 or 2. used the set up could be had for highest end choices 2.5is at 600-650, super 1s at 150-200, and super center 2 for 350-400 - then I would just p/u asub latter, as if you got the 2.5i speakers and placed them properly they will produce enough low end to satisfy you for a while. Actually, although this NHT group was replaced last year with a new series, there are still plenty of dealer closing out on the speakers, and if you looked around you could likely find it all new for about the same price.
    The NHT speakers are in a very sleek piano black laquered finish, and are extremely highly regaurded, and accurate speakers. Check out their website for a few reviews- but note that the speaker just above the 2.5i (2.9) was rated by stereophile as a class B best, and the 3.3 was rated as a class A recomended - all the same the 2.5 uses the same drivers for the mids, and highs, just in a smaller enclosure and with a smaller bass driver.

Good luck

13. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Dan,
    you should be wary of any advice that is given by people who don't understand YOUR needs....If the salesmen or "posters" don't ask you a BARRAGE of questions then walk away ,'cause they don't have YOUR best interests in mind.....before any recommendations are made ,I would like a .......
    Detauiled discription of the room including furnishings, floor and wall coverings, diagram including (among other things) windows and doors, etc...
    Detailed analysis of listening habits of you and all others using the system, including types and %ages of music and movies and likely listening levels...
    An understanding of additional uses, equipment, other room options ,and future upgrade ideas, would be very helpful especially if you don't want to spend money twice...
    Hopefully , people are making buying decisions based on their own needs and only offer advice after meeting YOURS...
    If you can provide the info above I'll be glad to try and help...GOOD LUCK!!!

14. Dan_TN

Dan_TN Auditioning

Ok the room is about 14'x19'. I will have the TV in the middle of one of the 19' walls and the couch straight accross from it on the other 19' wall. The room has a 9' ceiling inthe middle but slants down on the sides to a 5' wall. I am loking for a system that will primarily be used for watching movies and regular television. Music isn't to big a deal to me as this room is upstairs by itself and I wouldn't be lisening to music there. With all that said, I was looking for something in the $1500 range, but since have thought about lowering that to around $1100. The $1500 is still possible but I was just wondering about a lower cost alternative.

Dan