What are Discrete Remote Codes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephan Bowman, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Stephan Bowman

Stephan Bowman Auditioning

Hello,

I'm excitedly awaiting the arrival of my MX-500 (which I purchased after reading many posts on this forum extolling its virtures). I would like to get the most out of the remote that I can and I have been reading some recent post about discrete codes, but I only have a vague idea what they are. So, my questions are:

1) What exactly are discrete codes, and
    2) how can they simplify my remoting?

Thanks

2. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

A good example would be a discrete power on code. It only turns the TV on - if it's already on it does nothing. Discrete input codes (TV/Receiver) takes you directly to that input, you don't have to toggle through various inputs to get there.

It simplifies your remote by preventing your gear from getting out of sync. I.e. turning a piece of gear off (in a macro) when you didn't mean to. Also the input discretes let you jump to say video 3 - regardles of where you currently are. You can therefore build a macro to say play a DVD and it'll always take you to the right input.

Jim L

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

congrats on your mx-500. i absolutely love mine!

you should also visit the remotecentral.com website. they have a forum dedicated to just hometheatermaster remotes:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...aster/list.cgi

you'll find all sorts of good info about discrete codes, tips and tricks, etc.

4. Stephan Bowman

Thanks for the info guys.

I went to Remote Central as you suggested and there was more information on discrete codes there than I could process in a lifetime. I then spent several hours chasing down discrete codes for my components. Although, the thought of buying another remote just to teach my 500 is a bit much. If my wife ever found out how much I spent on a remote I'd be a dead man (and here I am leaving evidence all over the internet).

Steve

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

6. Stephan Bowman

If I wasn't 100% satified then I suppose the only option would be to return it. [​IMG]

Thanks Ted

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Remember that the OneForAll 7 is only about $25 so we are not talking a lot of money.

8. Stephan Bowman

No $25 doesn't sound like much, but in Canada that price will be inflated substantially. Without having priced it out, I would guess that remote would go for just over $50 and then throw another %15 sales tax on that.

Call me cheap, but all these little extras add up to a bunch of moolah.

Steve

9. Stephan Bowman

Just priced out a One-for-all 8 at Radio Shack and they retail for $59.99 (Canadian).

10. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

Hello I just rcvd my MX-500 in the mail I bought the bundled package with the jp1 cable and the 8811 All for One. I must admit I started to do some surfing last night on the Jp1 stuff and WOW it is a bit over whelming and semi complicated at first glance! I was hoping it would have been a bit more intuitive which it may end up being after I dive in. [​IMG]

11. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Before you get too overwhelmed by JP1, see if you can get all the discretes you need through One for All advanced codes. You may find that you don't need JP1 for now.

12. steven pm

steven pm Agent

3 thumbs up for the MX-500! You can probably find a cheaper one-for-all remote and just get by on the known discrete codes. A 3 or 4 device remote is plenty. One neat tip I found at remotecentral.com is the 'trick' for getting Mitsubishi rptv discretes (power & inputs) from the original remote.

13. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Stephan, I purchased an OFA 6017 (which is the CDN version of the US 6011/6012w) at WalMart in BC for 24.95 CDN. It does not do JP-1 (it will with some soldering and EEPROM Mods) but is certainly sufficient for published Discrete/Advanced codes. As steven said above, they have a 4 unit remote for about 16 bucks that should also handle the published codes.
    For more info about some OFA programming, check this link:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...42#post1417642