What's new

What are Bipolar, Dipolar, and front-ported? (1 Viewer)

Wes C

Supporting Actor
Im new to home theaters and I have been reading this site to increase my knowledge. Could someone tell me what these 3 things mean and the differences they make. Thanks!

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
A bipolar speaker has drivers which radiate in-phase on opposing surfaces. Commercial producers include Definitive and Mirage.

Dipoles have surfaces radiating 180 degres out of phase. This may be accomplished with single diapraghm (electrostatic or magneplanar, as in Martin Logan/Final or Apogee/Magnepan respectively) or dynamic drivers (this is the case for THX surrounds).

Front ported speakers have a port on the front. The excuse given is that you "could" place them in a book shelf or something without obstructing it, although this will ruin the sound anyways so it's not a real issue.

Ryan T

Second Unit
Wes

Bipolar speakers have drivers(speakers) on the front and back of the encloser(or angled on the right and left sides). with bipolar speakers all the drivers are wired the same way. Dipolar speakers are setup just like bipolars except that the back drivers are wired out of phase meaning the are wired backwards. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Ryan

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
So if you think of "in" as "towards the inside of the box" and you think of "out" as "towards the outside of the box" then they work like this:

With a bipole speaker both drivers move "in" at the same time and then they move "out" at the same time.

With a dipole speaker one driver will be moving "in" while the other is moving "out". And then they'll both change directions so that the first is moving "out" while the second is moving "in".

George Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question in reguards to this topic.

Which is better for side surround speakers in a 7.1 set up that has direct radiating rear surrounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks