What Are All The Different Halloween (1978) DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Sep 6, 2001.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I have one of the Halloween DVD's. I know there are multiple ones, including recent re-releases and a highly sought-after Anchor Bay Limited Edition,, etc.
    Is anyone out there able to list them all and give each one's relative strengths and weaknesses? I'd like to replace the one currently in my collection - I'm certain its among the weakest of the lot - with the strongest version I'm able to get. Thanks.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

There's the non-anamorphic Anchor Bay disc, which is ridiculously bad and cries out to be replaced if that's the one you own.
    There's the 2-disc Halloween LE, and the first disc is the theatrical release and the second has the television scenes inserted in. Those discs are both available separately now as well. A limited edition of the extended version includes a small strip of a print.
    I've never really been a fan of the extended scenes, so I'd recommend just getting the theatrical disc. The theatrical disc also has a pretty nice 5.1 remix.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Halloween on DVD:
    Anchor Bay 1st release: terrible pressing 4:3 transfer with godawful artifacts throughout
    Anchor Bay Limted edition: 2-disc set Disc One is the ultimate version of the original movie (anamorphic 16:9, Pan & scan, 5.1 remix, original mono, "Halloween Unmasked" documentary, THX certified, still gallery, trailer, TV, & Radio spots). Disc Two has the extended version with the 12 minutes of additional scenes shot by Carpenter for the TV version edited into the movie. It is anamorphic widescreen only with mono sound. The LE includes a hologram cover and a random production photo card in the package.
    [​IMG] Anchor Bay single disc release: same as disc one of the LE
    [​IMG] Anchor Bay "Extended edition": Same as disc two of the LE
    Anchor Bay "Extended edition"(Limited):Same as previous, but includes a film clip insert in the packaging
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

4. MaxY

MaxY Guest

David,
    There are a bunch of them aren't there.
    The best one to have is the 2 Disc LE which you can't find anymore.
    If you can't get that one the latest AB theatrical cut is the one to get. I did not really care for the version with the addtional TV scenes cut back in. I think the AB 2 Disc LE one can still be found in stores now and then.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

5. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

The only difference there is between the 2-disc limited edition and buying the theatrical and extended discs separately is the packaging.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

6. MaxY

MaxY Guest

7. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

If you want the Limited Edition 2-disk set, try Half.Com. I was able to find it there a few months ago for $25 used and you get a $5 coupon for being a new user so that is only $20 which include media rate shipping (I think). So for a hard to find, out of print, limited edition item, I paid only $20.
    Also, there have been some rumors that Borders has found some extras in their warehouses and have shipped them out to stores, so if you live near one, you might check it out.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones