What's new

What annoys you? (2 Viewers)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
One of the stupidist new repetitive hipster just deserves the death sentence pretty much like those ridiculous Seinfeld Sayings, Just Saying, and newly minted 'meta' to describe anything

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What the hell is that (mic dropping) about anyway?
Keeping in mind that I'm in my late 30's and have never had my pulse on what the kids are saying, I believe it originated in rap battles between people where after someone said something particularly vicious, they would drop the mic because what they said ended the battle right there. In short, it's another thing that white people and Madison Avenue have stolen from black people and made uncool. :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Keeping in mind that I'm in my late 30's and have never had my pulse on what the kids are saying, I believe it originated in rap battles between people where after someone said something particularly vicious, they would drop the mic because what they said ended the battle right there. In short, it's another thing that white people and Madison Avenue have stolen from black people and made uncool. :)
So it's kinda like saying "Out" during a radio transmission. Except it's ending the conversation with attitude.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
No wonder Gamestop is shuttering 100+ stores. They are a cluster.

For my sons bday we were going to surprise him with a Switch bundle on his bday last week. A few days earlier GS came out with cheaper bundles so I went ahead and ordered one. The nice girl (manager?) made sure it was ordered properly via their store system. I opted for overnight shipment so we'd have it on his bday. No problem she said, "System shows delivery on or before the 24th" (ordered the 22nd). Great, all is well, got my receipt which showed delivery date etc and out the door I went.

Well by the end of the next day I thought it odd that I had no email notice of shipment. I got email showing me how to download a free game (part of bundle) but that was it. Of course it went downhill from there. Birthday came and went with no bundle. I called "India" GS hotline and asked for refund on myu overnight freight cost. "Sorry, we can't do that until you get your package(s). Ugh, ok. So we wait it out. I start getting emails that a book shipped, but oddly enough UPS says just a label printed, no other tracking info provided. I get another email that the games will arrive Monday. Same issue, and nope, no games, no book. I get email that they have to change the date of arrival. Ugh.

So last night I finally went to original store and met the nice girl who handled sale and she was very helpful and apologetic. She called her corporate cust. service line to complain. That was a 30 minute wait....she was so embarrassed. Really, she was a very nice girl who actually seemed to care, unlike most sales drones.

After 45 mins, the voice at the other end said to give me a Gamestop gift card to cover frt cost. Also stated that the whole bundle was packaged and shipping out by Wednesday. Crossing fingers, but not holding breath. :)

Yeah, that was a mega fail and we won't do anything similar again. We just got caught up in the whole birthday excitement of getting this new gadget. Hoping it all works out and he can be playing his games by this weekend. :)

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I sent an Amazon.ca Gift Card to myself in an amount sufficient to cover a pair of preordered Blu-ray sets that are being released next month. Correctly following the amazon.ca link to get to the box to enter my all important Gift Card claim code, upon entering this, I get an invalid on this site type of message. That's when I realized that the link on Amazon Canada redirected me to the U.S. site! Apparently, there is NO Canadian version, or at least not one that is obvious! AARRGGHH!!!! :angry:

EDIT: I ended up contacting Amazon Canada, regarding my Gift Card redemption issue. With management approval, the CSR was able to apply my Amazon.ca Gift Card toward my preordered Blu-ray sets. I still find it bizarre regarding the business of getting redirected to U.S. Amazon for Canadian Gift Card redemption, however! :blink:

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Only weeks after replacing my 2TB External Hard Drive, my PC Laptop performed a disk check on its own C:/ drive. I sure hope this isn't an early sign of imminent Hard Drive failure! :blink:
Thankfully, unlike the disk checks with my fairly recently failed Seagate External Hard Drive, this disk check DID complete, and there haven't been any recurrences, since. Having recently freed up a lot of space on my C drive, it had taken multiple disk defragmentations, and optimizations to get what was a 40% plus fragmentation level down to below 5%. My guess is that it may have been some lingering fragmentation in the wrong spot that triggered the C drive disk check.

I'm thinking a Windows 10 update (For some reason, I still haven't received the so-called Patch Tuesday update!) might be next on my list, in my quest to get things on my PC Laptop running more smoothly!

CHEERS! :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking a Windows 10 update (For some reason, I still haven't received the so-called Patch Tuesday update!) might be next on my list, in my quest to get things on my PC Laptop running more smoothly!

CHEERS! :)
I think Patch Tuesday may have vanished with Windows 10. I literally have no control over my laptop any longer, things just update on their own, no input from me as to "yes or no", they just run and install themselves.

No problems, but it would be nice to have some input as to what happens.

Still have my old Windows 98 PC as a backup, things were so much easier back then :(

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I think Patch Tuesday may have vanished with Windows 10. I literally have no control over my laptop any longer, things just update on their own, no input from me as to "yes or no", they just run and install themselves.

No problems, but it would be nice to have some input as to what happens.

Still have my old Windows 98 PC as a backup, things were so much easier back then :(
Yes and no. I can still remember the endless frustrations of trying to do things on Windows 98 that in hindsight, just weren't possible! The trouble was, this was fairly well into the XP era!

On the other hand, I'm STILL finding Firefox a MASSIVE PITA, with it's bloody stupid arse memory bog downs! I mean, it took me 10 effing minutes to type the above paragraph, for bloody gawd sake! Once again, I had to perform an End Task for Firefox on Task Manager in order to do a memory dump! It shouldn't take bloody command line/registry solutions to fix this s**t, either! It's no wonder so many casual PC users are getting fed up! :angry:

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Yes and no. I can still remember the endless frustrations of trying to do things on Windows 98 that in hindsight, just weren't possible! The trouble was, this was fairly well into the XP era!

On the other hand, I'm STILL finding Firefox a MASSIVE PITA, with it's bloody stupid arse memory bog downs! I mean, it took me 10 effing minutes to type the above paragraph, for bloody gawd sake! Once again, I had to perform an End Task for Firefox on Task Manager in order to do a memory dump! It shouldn't take bloody command line/registry solutions to fix this s**t, either! It's no wonder so many casual PC users are getting fed up! :angry:
It's only been a day, but I finally gave up on Firefox. Sucked in by MS and have been using Edge. It works, but my ad-block stuff hasn't transferred, I'll figure that out.

I despise pop-ups and other invasive ads, will never ever support a business that uses them. Our local paper used to have ads where if you cursor even moved over them they'd take over your screen. Complaints from me and others probably helped get rid of those.

Even just posting a comment is only reserved for this site, which is moderated. I gave up on MSN, CNN and others. The land of trolls.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
As far as I know, Microsoft still releases Windows updates every 2nd Tuesday of the month with the occasional hotfix pushed out when something absolutely can't wait.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's only been a day, but I finally gave up on Firefox. Sucked in by MS and have been using Edge. It works, but my ad-block stuff hasn't transferred, I'll figure that out.

I despise pop-ups and other invasive ads, will never ever support a business that uses them. Our local paper used to have ads where if you cursor even moved over them they'd take over your screen. Complaints from me and others probably helped get rid of those.

Even just posting a comment is only reserved for this site, which is moderated. I gave up on MSN, CNN and others. The land of trolls.
My current dilemma lies with the fact that I find all browsers to be problematic, one way or another. For me, my biggest issue with Firefox is that webpages take forever to load, which in turn, causes excessive memory buildup, which I believe, also contributes to severe typing lag time! Sometimes, it takes upwards of a full minute for a few typed letters to appear - it's like bloody Windows 95 all over again! :P

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The only usability problems I have with Windows 10 is random BSOD which I believe to be a compatibility issue with boot camp since I'm running it on my Mac. My company is preparing to roll out Windows 10 to technician laptops and desktops but mission critical servers and PCs for our production equipment are still Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 Pro respectively.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My current dilemma lies with the fact that I find all browsers to be problematic, one way or another. For me, my biggest issue with Firefox is that webpages take forever to load, which in turn, causes excessive memory buildup, which I believe, also contributes to severe typing lag time! Sometimes, it takes upwards of a full minute for a few typed letters to appear - it's like bloody Windows 95 all over again! :P

I had the same issue with Firefox, just painfully slow to load pages. And that time lag while typing drove me crazy. Did I type it correctly? Re-do it and a bunch of extra letters show up, back-space to delete them, but then discover 15 seconds later you've gone to far and have to fix everything. With Edge, I'm typing on a live screen, no delays.

Not to toot the MS horn, but I've had really good luck with Edge, life is back to normal :cool:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I must admit to laughing my self silly at the Lexus LaneValet April 1 commercial.

The only people worse than 'that guy' are the twits who appear to be overtaking a car +10mph, pull to to someone's blind spot or even front quarter panel, but immediately slow down to mirror that speed so that they're side by side for no apparent reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks