What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
636198154092018677-Krista-and-Jayna.jpg

Please stop this "fashion trend" ASAP please. NOT a good look.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Let me start by saying I am FAR from a prude. But for me there is a time and a place for it. I do my best to filter per situation.

I've noticed a few times some folks here feel compelled to drop all kinds of F bombs and S bombs and similar to convey their message, in one recent case someone felt compelled to sprinkle their TV show review with (IMO) these "bombs" for I'm sure more "shock" value. Nothing more.

I guess I feel HTF is a more classy forum to hang at and when folks pepper their posts with cuss words, it just makes us look lower class. I'm sure some say it's no big deal, and at the end of the day, they are probably right, but to me, I don't see the need to toss these words in, your points can be made in a more dignified way.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Let me start by saying I am FAR from a prude. But for me there is a time and a place for it. I do my best to filter per situation.

I've noticed a few times some folks here feel compelled to drop all kinds of F bombs and S bombs and similar to convey their message, in one recent case someone felt compelled to sprinkle their TV show review with (IMO) these "bombs" for I'm sure more "shock" value. Nothing more.

I guess I feel HTF is a more classy forum to hang at and when folks pepper their posts with cuss words, it just makes us look lower class. I'm sure some say it's no big deal, and at the end of the day, they are probably right, but to me, I don't see the need to toss these words in, your points can be made in a more dignified way.

I've always tried to behave with HTF. Classy is a great description, a place where we can have a decent conversation without the common riff-raff. It seems like if it's the "Internet", just unload your negative feelings, insult others and don't worry about it, but HTF has always been a safe place to come back to.

I don't think I've ever dropped any "bombs", but somebody will dig up some old posts and prove me wrong. Been a member for close to 20 years, so probably slipped occasionally.

Also far from a prude, but I'm amazed at what gets by on TV. Many "swear" words from when I was a kid are totally acceptable now. "F" and "S" bombs have become normal dialogue on many shows, not just "cable", but regular network stuff.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"F" and "S" bombs have become normal dialogue on many shows, not just "cable", but regular network stuff.
I'm nitpicking but, unless it slips through on a live feed, they don't say "fuck" or "shit" on network TV (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, etc.). If any show did that, the FCC would strip the network of their license and level fines into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Wow!
I am all for civility, and try not to swear too much in mixed company, but this is not a reflection of class or what makes HTF members better than the average citizen. You do have to keep up with the times. One generation has always thought the next was going to the dogs.
Remember that over a hundred years ago a G & S comic opera was heavily criticized for having the title "Ruddigore" because it was too close to the word "bloody" that the Victorians thought was a dirty word.
Just walk through your local high school some time. You will get a good indication of how most people talk today. There are really no more
&$@%#ing dirty words.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I sometimes get annoyed when Hallmark Channel edits language on their episodes of "The Golden Girls" and "Frasier" (and probably other repeats of shows they run). Words that were perfectly fine on network TV 20-30 years ago are somehow forbidden on today's basic cable. Plus, it usually ruins the punchline of the joke.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Did not know they did that on such mainstream, huge hit older shows. Interesting.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm nitpicking but, unless it slips through on a live feed, they don't say "fuck" or "shit" on network TV (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, etc.). If any show did that, the FCC would strip the network of their license and level fines into the hundreds of millions of dollars.
Maybe I was mistaken, but things have changed a lot in the last few years.

Bitch, douche, bastard, even dick sometimes makes it through. All things that would have never made it past the censors when we were kids.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I was mistaken, but things have changed a lot in the last few years.

Bitch, douche, bastard, even dick sometimes makes it through. All things that would have never made it past the censors when we were kids.
Yeah, the networks are more lenient in terms of language than they ever used to be but the 'big ones' still aren't on network TV.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I can always find something to bitch about :D

The latest is Dish Network and their descriptions of films, TV shows, etc.

They've changed their format and now just leave you with a little mystery synopsis ending with "..."

For example, Criminal Minds, "Meanwhile, Morgan uses his...", "Agent Aaron Hotchner is asked to evaluate Agent...", something about an arsonist ends with "when the behavior doesn't..."

So far, they don't do it a lot, but it's becoming more noticeable.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

That's not quite true. ABC occasionally shows a Spielberg WWII film completely uncut in prime time. (I think both Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan have gotten this treatment.) Maybe they get special dispensation somehow.

Those are pretty much the only occurrences of that kind of language on the major networks that I can recall (aside from slip-ups on live broadcasts).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
That's not quite true. ABC occasionally shows a Spielberg WWII film completely uncut in prime time. (I think both Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan have gotten this treatment.) Maybe they get special dispensation somehow.

Those are pretty much the only occurrences of that kind of language on the major networks that I can recall (aside from slip-ups on live broadcasts).

I do think they get special treatment, which is wonderful. I hate it when films are edited, bleeped or some other word substituted. Maybe because they're such classy, well done, historical films the networks show them as filmed.

Nudity, swearing, violence, etc. Go to HBO, STARZ or IFC if you want to see them un-cut, the way they were meant to be seen. The editing some networks do is so obvious, I don't even watch them. Everything cleaned up for the G-Rated crowd.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Remember that over a hundred years ago a G & S comic opera was heavily criticized for having the title "Ruddigore" because it was too close to the word "bloody" that the Victorians thought was a dirty word.

Can't believe I knew without even thinking what G & S meant. "Pirates of Penzance", that hilarious "Frasier" episode with "Three Little Maids from School are We". Wow, I'm getting old :laugh:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Annoying:

Driving behind an old Suburban that is spewing out stanky exhaust fumes. YUCK!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Can't believe I knew without even thinking what G & S meant. "Pirates of Penzance", that hilarious "Frasier" episode with "Three Little Maids from School are We". Wow, I'm getting old :laugh:
I think knowledge of what G&S means is timeless. They have entered the classical repertoire and are like referring to something by say Strauss or Offenbach.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Maybe annoyed or just terrified. The little bell alerts on the upper right part of the screen.

I see those alerts and it's like OMG, what have I done now, who did I insult, am I going to be banned, what did I say that upset somebody, are the grammar police after me for an incorrect word usage? Probably just child-hood guilt, I'm really a nice guy, but I dread clicking on those red messages :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks