What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

mylan

Screenwriter
Our downstairs heat pump went kaput during the night. At least the house is insulated well enough that it’s still retaining some residual heat from yesterday and the high today will be in the upper 50s. The joys of homeownership.
Our upstairs main HVAC has been leaking Puron for over a year, we just kept adding it and hoping it would last another six months. The annoying thing was listening to the outside compressor making noises as if it was about to quit, finally after $7,300 later, we have a new Amana 3 1/2 ton unit. It was painful but now we have a new energy efficient unit with an ecobee digital thermostat and our electric bill has already gone down. The joys of homeownership indeed...

Edit...the other annoying thing? I've forgotten my wi-fi password and can't use the smartphone feature until I reset the password.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Get the dog LOTS of things which you WANT him to chew.

Heavy duty Nylabones, Benebones, Kongs, etc.

They'll keep him busy, keep him from biting things you don't want him to. And expend a fair amount of energy. That's the other thing. LOTS of walks and exercise.

You'll also want to take him to training classes--where you will learn what the dog is trying to tell you--if he's bored, sick, etc. It will socialize him with other dogs and teach you both tricks on how to get him to behave. You need to learn how to understand the dog's needs. Dogs want to please humans, but they need to understand each other.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
There has got to be better progress on using a finger print or Iris scan. These $&@%ing passwords for everything drive me crazy. We had to switch internet providers. I now have an entire page of passwords to refer to.

I am sitting in my living room going on a website, by myself, no one but me is there — why the fuck (I typed it that time!) can’t I see what I type to make sure it is correct!?

As life goes on, these passwords are getting more and more complicated, and you are supposed to use a different one for each site. How many “ZUTV4$&🦶s” can you memorize?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
There has got to be better progress on using a finger print or Iris scan. These $&@%ing passwords for everything drive me crazy. We had to switch internet providers. I now have an entire page of passwords to refer to.

You're not the only one on that one-- it's a juggling act trying to keep them all together.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There has got to be better progress on using a finger print or Iris scan. These $&@%ing passwords for everything drive me crazy.

Once fingerprint/iris scans become common, there will be very different ways of hacking.

Stealing login credentials will involve chopping off someone's hand(s) for fingerprints, while iris scans will involve decapitations/beheadings or removing eyeballs from eye sockets.

:rolling-smiley:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Once fingerprint/iris scans become common, there will be very different ways of hacking.

Stealing login credentials will involve chopping off someone's hand(s) for fingerprints, while iris scans will involve decapitations/beheadings or removing eyeballs from eye sockets.

:rolling-smiley:
I sure hope we don’t see much of this activity in the news.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I sure hope we don’t see much of this activity in the news.

Even in the absence of limb removals and beheadings, there will likely be more high profile kidnappings to force someone into fingerprint/hand scans and/or forcing their eyes open into an iris scan to validate login credentials (albeit coerced).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the sense of high profile kidnappings of high powered politicians, corporate executives, high value employees, etc ....

Kidnapping a spoiled brat heiress would be less effective at hacking login credentials.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

I am sitting in my living room going on a website, by myself, no one but me is there — why the fuck (I typed it that time!) can’t I see what I type to make sure it is correct!?

As life goes on, these passwords are getting more and more complicated, and you are supposed to use a different one for each site. How many “ZUTV4$&🦶s” can you memorize?
Use a password manager. Personally, I recommend and use 1Password.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I had to have two toilets pulled and reseated because they were both leaking around the base. Luckily, the flanges weren’t damaged or it would have been more expensive. Also had a water stop for our dishwasher replaced. It sprang a leak Christmas Eve and I was able to shut the valve tight enough that it stopped leaking but it still needed to be replaced. We have another leak in the master bathroom shower that needs to be repaired but it will keep for a while. There are two shower heads and one of them leaks inside the wall between the valve and the shower head. That’s going to be $600 minimum to open the wall and repair the leak. In the meantime, we are only using one of the shower heads. Apparently, the previous owners let it leak for so long that the floor beside the shower is a little soft so eventually we’ll have to hire a contractor to rip up the tile and fix the floor, then either re-tile or put down vinyl plank flooring like we did in the living room last summer. It rains but it pours.

Also, one of the dogs jumped up and peed on our bed this morning. Happy birthday to me, I guess.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I had to have two toilets pulled and reseated because they were both leaking around the base. Luckily, the flanges weren’t damaged or it would have been more expensive. Also had a water stop for our dishwasher replaced. It sprang a leak Christmas Eve and I was able to shut the valve tight enough that it stopped leaking but it still needed to be replaced. We have another leak in the master bathroom shower that needs to be repaired but it will keep for a while. There are two shower heads and one of them leaks inside the wall between the valve and the shower head. That’s going to be $600 minimum to open the wall and repair the leak. In the meantime, we are only using one of the shower heads. Apparently, the previous owners let it leak for so long that the floor beside the shower is a little soft so eventually we’ll have to hire a contractor to rip up the tile and fix the floor, then either re-tile or put down vinyl plank flooring like we did in the living room last summer. It rains but it pours.

Also, one of the dogs jumped up and peed on our bed this morning. Happy birthday to me, I guess.
Bummer for all of the above. Happy birthday regardless. And thank you for writing "sprang" instead of "sprung." Spring, Sprang, Sprung, that's what I was taught in school.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Those are long existing defects. We’re they disclosed to you as part of the sale? If not, I’d contact your real estate agent or a lawyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks