What's new

What annoys you? (14 Viewers)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Unless you do like I do. I turn on my work cell phone when I get in the car to leave for the office and turn it off immediately upon arriving at home in the evening. Everyone else in the office gave up their work phone and use their personal phone for work - have it tied to email too. Not me - even if I owned a personal cell phone (I do not). Work stays at work. If I'm off work I rarely check work email (maybe once a day depending...) and don't take work related calls.
Exactly. In fact I just ignored a call to my work cell phone because I'm now home and simply not in the mood to talk to someone from work. 99.9% of work "emergencies" simply aren't.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Finding out that something you’ve been promised repeatedly for the last 15 years isn’t going to happen.

(Without getting heavily into politics).

I generally do not assume that promises will be fulfilled, unless there is an absolute death penalty to the promiser(s) for non-fulfillment .

Both figuratively and literally.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
How I came to such a cynical mindset about promises, dates back to when I was a kid/teenager.

I repeatedly encountered one too many promises which were completely broken. Especially when it comes to family members, they repeatedly doubled-down and tried to convince me that they never promised anything.

Basically their standard doubling-down tactic was to argue: "An oral agreement / promise is only worth the paper is it written on".

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When a tech support person doesn’t know the product and starts to read from a checklist. “Yeah it’s plugged in and all the connections are working, how else could I see the tv screen with content.” This just happened to me today, combined with the fact I had to tell the tech person 3 times what the problem was and a personal call of nature emergency, I told her I’d call back and hung up. Even without the call of nature, I was going to hang up. I did do it politely.

Then I rebooted the TiVo and it worked.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This not only annoyed me- it angered me. I went into the local Wally World to browse new BluRay releases. I picked up 3 titles, then went to the check out area. This store recently remodeled by adding a bunch of “scan and go” registers. The problem, at least the way I saw it, is that’s all they had open- no “regular” check out registers were open. I commented to an assistant about how much I disliked self check out. I just let her scan my items. Ridiculous.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This not only annoyed me- it angered me. I went into the local Wally World to browse new BluRay releases. I picked up 3 titles, then went to the check out area. This store recently remodeled by adding a bunch of “scan and go” registers. The problem, at least the way I saw it, is that’s all they had open- no “regular” check out registers were open. I commented to an assistant about how much I disliked self check out. I just let her scan my items. Ridiculous.

What does Wal-Mart think is so bad about normal checkouts?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What does Wal-Mart think is so bad about normal checkouts?

Self checkout saves them a whole lot of money. The less "normal" lanes with paid employees, the more money they make. On a global scale, $millions saved each day.

You can expect self checkout technology to get much easier, and hassle free in the future, and the human interaction with cashiers will be a distant memory.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
What about people like me who remember grocery store “carry out boys” who bagged your groceries, took them to your car, and weren’t allowed to accept a tip?

That was actually the case when I stayed with my sister a couple of times, in Maryland and Alabama-- the military commissaries she shopped at had just such workers.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My store did the same a while back. I think they have about 12 self checkouts, and only 4 staffed checkouts. Usually there is at least one or two staffed lanes open. I've never been there when self-check was the only option.

I would think this would increase theft, but likely not to a level that would offset additional salary and benefits to hire more staff.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I only use self checkouts if I have two or three small items. Any more and I will wait in line for a manned checkout. If self checkout is the only option (this is the case more frequently at my local Walmart) I will leave and go elsewhere.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I only use self checkouts if I have two or three small items. Any more and I will wait in line for a manned checkout. If self checkout is the only option (this is the case more frequently at my local Walmart) I will leave and go elsewhere.

I read an article that stated self checkout lanes launched in Germany just last year, and they flopped so bad they are taking them out of the stores they were installed in.

When the customers were asked why they avoided them like the plague, they simply said there was nothing in it for them. That they were puzzled they were expected to do every bit of work from shopping, to scanning, to bagging. They thought there should have been some incentive like money off coupons for doing so. So it failed.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I read an article that stated self checkout lanes launched in Germany just last year, and they flopped so bad they are taking them out of the stores they were installed in.

When the customers were asked why they avoided them like the plague, they simply said there was nothing in it for them. That they were puzzled they were expected to do every bit of work from shopping, to scanning, to bagging. They thought there should have been some incentive like money off coupons for doing so. So it failed.
I agree - there should be some incentive to use the things.

WM claims the employees who once manned registers now do other duties but knowing how WM does things I truly doubt that's the entire truth.

I use them *only* if I have 3 or 4 items *and* am in a bit of a hurry. Otherwise I avoid them if at all possible. I often check out in the garden center - it's rarely crowded and fast (and it helps that I've usually parked just outside those doors to be able to get out of the parking lot faster).

FWIW - as long as WM sells tobacco products there'll always be at least one line with a person.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Reading about toilet paper orientation and toilet seat positioning in another thread brought something to mind that annoys me. What is annoying is the spatially challenged slobs who use a public toilet and are too bloody lazy to lift the toilet seat when they take a leak. They piss all over the seat then leave it for the next user to clean up the mess.

To people like that........Lift the seat. It isn't that heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks