What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Yet another issue brewing at work where we will end up doing something and then finding out later that it's a bad idea, even though there are plenty of folks pointing that out beforehand.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
During a visit from the granddaughters, our younger dog (Pete) ended up with a mouthful of glitter glue.

A call to the ASPCA's Animal Poison Hotline informed us that before we could even ask a question, we'd have to give them our credit card number and give them $75.

Wow.

How cruel, at least IMO (to charge you just to ask a question about how to treat your dog, especially [seemingly] when it could be life or death])!

BTW, is glitter glue poisonous?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yet another issue brewing at work where we will end up doing something and then finding out later that it's a bad idea, even though there are plenty of folks pointing that out beforehand.
Yes the joys of working in corporate America. I left that rat race behind 14 years ago, and I still get annoyed thinking about some of the dumb stuff my former employer’s middle and upper management came up with. The idea I still get pissed off about is the bench technicians had to go to the section head to get an OK for parts we needed to fix the defective boards. How absurd- we’re there to fix stuff, and we need permission to fix stuff? :angry:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Read my past postings if you want to know what annoys me. Having to be subjected to them in any context without permission, such as, for instance, having to be subjected to the personal lives of undeservedly famous people who annoy me while waiting in a checkout line in a grocery store, is annoying. I try to avoid them as much as possible because I really do not want them around. Even to mention them by name is more acknowledgement than I am willing to grant them because they do not deserve it. But having to hear friends and family bring them up makes it twice as annoying. I want to be able to put my foot down on it without hurting anyone's feelings.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
During a visit from the granddaughters, our younger dog (Pete) ended up with a mouthful of glitter glue.

A call to the ASPCA's Animal Poison Hotline informed us that before we could even ask a question, we'd have to give them our credit card number and give them $75.

Wow.
IMHO that's simply unconscionable! I'm rather speechless about such behavior from a supposedly "good" group. You'd think something like that, and provided free of charge, would be part of the mission statement.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Taking care of pets is more expensive than you think these days. So's everything if you live where I live, except it's less expensive by California standards only.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
BTW, is glitter glue poisonous?

In this instance, it turns out the answer is no, Ben. Peg had picked up the glitter glue at Michael's (craft store). And it was in their "Creatology" line which is designed especially for children so, therefore, is non-toxic. But not all glitter glue is created equal so YMMV.

However, the real question--with glue ingestion--is whether or not it will solidify somewhere in the GI tract creating an obstruction. Michael's customer service rep told me that it is very unlikely for that to happen (because of their care when creating kid-friendly products). He said it might loosen Pete's stool temporarily but that should be the worst effect. And, so far, so good.

But having had a Golden Retriever who snatched an unattended corn cob once--resulting in a $3k surgery...we were quite concerned about this until I found a way to get a definitive answer.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The number of individual Star Wars threads clogging up the Movies forum, some films with multiple threads. I thought there was an omnibus "Star Wars Saga" thread to eliminate this issue?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
A first world problem I know, but my idiotic cable company is in a dispute with AMC because of this, after 9 years of watching, I will no longer be able to see "The Walking Dead" or "FTWD". I'll have to wait months until the Blu rays come out. They stop carrying the channel Jan. 1.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's part of why I disconnected my TV from cable. It's physical media for most of it with a random smattering of streaming (mostly Amazon series that've not yet seen physical release).

Most of those idiotic disputes come from the provider wanting more money per subscriber and the cable company not wanting to cough up as that'd mean they'll either lose money (like that'd ever happen) or be "forced" to pass the increase along to the subscribers (at a higher rate than what they are paying in the new contract while telling subscribers "We had to do it because we had to pay more for what you want.")

What annoys me more is being forced to pay fees for "Off Air Channels" and "Sports Programming" when no one in my household watches either. I've complained several times telling them to put those in additional, separate, tiers and let those who want them pay for them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A first world problem I know, but my idiotic cable company is in a dispute with AMC because of this, after 9 years of watching, I will no longer be able to see "The Walking Dead" or "FTWD". I'll have to wait months until the Blu rays come out. They stop carrying the channel Jan. 1.
These disputes are usually worked out in relatively short order (within days of the deadline). I would expect you won't be without the channel for long since, as you say, AMC has a number of popular programs that viewers will be upset about missing.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Wha who! I just called the cable co to register my displeasure and they told me there was a settlement of the issue and we will get AMC after all!

By the way, there was a controversy here a couple of years ago about people being forced to take packages with channels they don’t want from cable providers, so a law was passed saying everything was to also be offered individually.

We all made list of what we wanted and called. To get our channels that way ended up being about 50% more expensive than a package deal with them with a lot of other crap.

I just set a favourite’s list that we use exclusively and flip past all the ethnic religious and sports channels

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Co-workers calling me at home while I’m out on bereavement leave to ask me questions they should know the answers to.
Terrible. I used to work for a freight company that would call me while I was on home time to ask me to leave the house early. I took 2 calls of this nature, declined to cut my own home time short, then stopped answering the phone if I saw the terminal number come up on my phone.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Having a cell phone from work was once considered a status symbol which showed how important you were to where you work. It now only shows you are “a slave to the man”.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Having a cell phone from work was once considered a status symbol which showed how important you were to where you work. It now only shows you are “a slave to the man”.
Unless you do like I do. I turn on my work cell phone when I get in the car to leave for the office and turn it off immediately upon arriving at home in the evening. Everyone else in the office gave up their work phone and use their personal phone for work - have it tied to email too. Not me - even if I owned a personal cell phone (I do not). Work stays at work. If I'm off work I rarely check work email (maybe once a day depending...) and don't take work related calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks