What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I don't need my government talking down to me...in verse.

I think, based on that, that the old yellow "School Bus Stop Ahead" signs (and the later ones with an image of a bus picking up kids and a straight-up arrow [also on yellow] got the point across far better than that).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think, based on that, that the old yellow "School Bus Stop Ahead" signs (and the later ones with an image of a bus picking up kids and a straight-up arrow [also on yellow] got the point across far better than that).

Proper signage is the thing. The examples you cite are proper road signage to indicate road situations to drivers. Just like a "yield" or "stop" sign or a traffic light.

The situations we were talking about earlier involve taking "temporary" (sometimes permanent) road hazard or traffic indicators which might alert you to an accident ahead or roadwork and putting up mindless sayings to "remind" drivers about common sense driving practices. "Ice and snow. Take it slow." That sort of thing. Someone in NYS has decided to co-opt the use of those signs to display nonsense verse that drivers should already know and follow. If the drivers don't, they shouldn't be driving and an inane "Burma Shave-style" verse isn't going to change. It's just a waste of taxpayer dollars and an insult to responsible drivers.

I'm sure there are those who will tell me that they are harmless and more important things to get worked up about. But I've seen too much stupidity on the part of people in government and waste in tax dollars (and I consider myself a very good driver--who knows the rules of the road) that this particular issue SCREAMS "annoyance" at me.

Proper:

portable-mobile-electric-message-boards-250x250.jpg

Idiotic:

3259269080_3666c2ceda_b.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Maybe they think the little rhymes are catchy and will stick in their heads. It is pretty pathetic, but then again traffic is so bad on my expressway travel that I am just about to swear it off forever. People really do drive like crazed maniacs, and it is frightening to know my life depends on them, and they aren't pulling their weight. Being a defensive driver just doesn't cut it anymore.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe they think the little rhymes are catchy and will stick in their heads. It is pretty pathetic

Really. How pathetic have we gotten as a society when government thinks its citizens are so ignorant they think they need to spoon-feed common sense into its people with bits of nonsense verse?

It wasn't THAT long ago when our founding fathers were able to read the classics in their original Greek and Latin: Ovid, Homer, Plato, Herodotus, etc.

And nowadays we hope that people we trust to operate a one-ton automobile will be better for having read "Ice and Snow. Take it slow."

rolleyes.gif

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Really. How pathetic have we gotten as a society when government thinks its citizens are so ignorant they think they need to spoon-feed common sense into its people with bits of nonsense verse?

It wasn't THAT long ago when our founding fathers were able to read the classics in their original Greek and Latin: Ovid, Homer, Plato, Herodotus, etc.

And nowadays we hope that people we trust to operate a one-ton automobile will be better for having read "Ice and Snow. Take it slow."

rolleyes.gif

When you think deeper about it is SCARY!!

The government treating citizens like 5 year old children. Do they think we are dumb, or at the very least simple? Do they know something we don't?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

rolleyes.gif

When you think deeper about it is SCARY!!

The government treating citizens like 5 year old children. Do they think we are dumb, or at the very least simple? Do they know something we don't?

Or is it government which is dumb...or, at the very least, simple.

Or...sigh...maybe both are true.

(Without getting heavily into politics).

My first knee-jerk impulse reponse would also be similar: Idiocracy taking over the world.

Though with that being said, over the years I've come to the realization that most of this style of "visible stupidity" might very well be window dressing masking other issues. My suspicion is that a lot of this "visible stupidity" may very well be a form of setting legal precedents, such that "twinkie defense" type of stuff isn't corrupting the legal system with idiocratic style precedents.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(More generally).

The standards for what is stupidity / infantile can also change with the times, and vary from person to person.

For example if I was a hardcore film snob with a "get off my lawn" mentality, I would think that the mainstream popularity of superhero + horror films would be an "infantilization" of society.

:)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Being from Canada, we are bewildered by the long list of possible side effects that appears after drug commercials in the USA. , especially on CNN. This always makes us laugh. Does this encourage anyone to take the drugs? I don’t think prescription drugs are advertised here. We generally trust our doctors to prescribe for us, rather than find a drug and ask for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks