What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
This was probably already posted in this thread-

Drivers who refuse to turn on their headlights in the rain. If it’s pouring, there’s little chance of my seeing you behind me, so changing lanes becomes a risk (I drive a big rig). Surprising how many cars I see that run with no lights in limited visibility.

It's more annoying when you see it in a state where it's the law that wipers=headlights.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Once upon a time I thought daytime running lights were becoming standard equipment on cars. I guess that went by the wayside. My current 2011 Honda has them, so my lights are always on when I'm driving.
I think they are standard equipment, however, they don’t help in the rain. Most people are too cheap or lazy to replace the bulbs when they burn out as well.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Seems to me just about all the newer vehicles do have illumination at all times- not necessarily headlights, but those light strips that wrap around the headlights. Of course these won’t help in deluge rains.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Seems to me just about all the newer vehicles do have illumination at all times- not necessarily headlights, but those light strips that wrap around the headlights. Of course these won’t help in deluge rains.

Which is why I wouldn't ever attempt driving in deluges if I could help it!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
All vehicles in Ontario have these running lights.

How about people who weave in and out of lanes at the last minute in front of you on 4 lane highways at high speed, but never use directionals? I almost rammed into one yesterday.

These people can be classed with those who don’t signal for exits or anything at all on these highways and the people who role through every stop sign in neighbourhoods and beep if you stop at one.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This was probably already posted in this thread-

Drivers who refuse to turn on their headlights in the rain. If it’s pouring, there’s little chance of my seeing you behind me, so changing lanes becomes a risk (I drive a big rig). Surprising how many cars I see that run with no lights in limited visibility.
It's more annoying when you see it in a state where it's the law that wipers=headlights.
It's the law in Arkansas. Every time it rains I see at least 50% of the drivers running without headlights on - or they turn on only the "parking lights" (I don't get that one as it takes more effort to do that than full lights - plus it's illegal here to run with just parking lights). Some are police vehicles (that I always want to pull over with a "citizen's arrest!" comment - but they can't pull you over just for that).
2010 Arkansas Code

Title 27 - Transportation
Subtitle 3 - Motor Vehicles And Their Equipment
Chapter 36 - Lighting Regulations
Subchapter 2 - Lighting Requirements Generally

§ 27-36-204 - When lighted lamps required.

(2) (A) Every vehicle, except motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, upon a street or highway within this state shall display lighted lamps and illuminating devices, as respectively required for different classes of vehicles, during any period in which the vehicle's windshield wipers are being used for clearing or cleaning rain, snow, or other precipitation from the windshield because of inclement weather.

(B) (i) No vehicle or the operator of the vehicle shall be stopped, inspected, or detained solely for violations of the requirements of subdivision (a)(2)(A) of this section.

§ 27-36-205 - Use of parking lights.

(a) No motor vehicle shall be operated on the public streets, highways, or roads of this state while the parking lights or lamps of such motor vehicle are on unless the headlamps are also on.

(b) This section shall not apply to a motor vehicle which is parked.
I have a newer car. It has driving lights *and* headlights that come on automatically when the wipers turn on. No option. I love it! Before I got this one I ran with my headlights burning all the time - day or night, rain or shine. It's just safer.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
North Carolina has had this law since at least the early 90s- at whichever border you cross, you’ll see this sign- burn headlights when using
windshield wipers.

Another thing that drives me nuts behind the wheel- those who won’t use the passing lane for passing. This is not a safe practice, and it’s not very smart either.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It annoys me that sometimes you just can’t win. This morning my wife informed that she had reordered 200 personal checks and the price was nearly $100. My reply was “What!” I asked her to cancel the order and she said there’s no way to do it. So I go online to the web page find the contact number and less then 5 minutes later the order is canceled.

I then do some googling and find another site with better prices. I order 200 very generic looking checks and with a first time discount, which was generous, I payed $14 and change. Without the discount, it would have been $35 and change. Either way a substantial savings.

Buuuuut she’s still pissed at me. I’m getting a soft cold shoulder. Sometimes you just can’t win.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It annoys me that sometimes you just can’t win. This morning my wife informed that she had reordered 200 personal checks and the price was nearly $100. My reply was “What!” I asked her to cancel the order and she said there’s no way to do it. So I go online to the web page find the contact number and less then 5 minutes later the order is canceled.

I then do some googling and find another site with better prices. I order 200 very generic looking checks and with a first time discount, which was generous, I payed $14 and change. Without the discount, it would have been $35 and change. Either way a substantial savings.

Buuuuut she’s still pissed at me. I’m getting a soft cold shoulder. Sometimes you just can’t win.
Before I decided I could live with standard checks (I liked those carbonless duplicate checks) and changed banks to one which gives me standard checks free I used these guys:

https://www.checksunlimited.com/

As I recall they had pretty decent prices if you're willing to order a couple of boxes or more at a time. Hmmm... I just looked at what I used to order (Executive Grey Duplicate) and could get 4 boxes for ~$12/box. Not bad but not as good as free. :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

In general, people often can't stand being proved wrong on anything, even when it's to their benefit.

CHEERS! :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I thought cheque’s were antiques. I haven’t used one for years. My pensions go right into the bank via direct deposit, and all bills — electricity etc, just comes automatically out of the bank. I use nothing but plastic for every transaction and have carried the same $20 bill in my wallet for years for “emergencies” and never used it.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It bothers me when people leave the room for extended periods and leave lights, television, etc... on.

It also bothers me that I seem to be the only person who knows that fans don’t cool a room. Fans blowing on you cool your skin but the room temperature stays the same. No one benefits when the room is empty except for the electric company. Turn off the damn fans when you leave!!!!!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It bothers me when people leave the room for extended periods and leave lights, television, etc... on.

It also bothers me that I seem to be the only person who knows that fans don’t cool a room. Fans blowing on you cool your skin but the room temperature stays the same. No one benefits when the room is empty except for the electric company. Turn off the damn fans when you leave!!!!!
I get the issue with lights and TVs. My wife runs the TV in the master constantly and watches it one hour out of 8. However ceiling fans, they use so little electricity that we just leave them going.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought cheque’s were antiques. I haven’t used one for years. My pensions go right into the bank via direct deposit, and all bills — electricity etc, just comes automatically out of the bank. I use nothing but plastic for every transaction and have carried the same $20 bill in my wallet for years for “emergencies” and never used it.
We seldom use them. The 200 checks will last us years. I wonder if I can pay someone with my iphone when that person doesn’t have one.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You are unusually progressive for someone of your years. As I mentioned in another thread, my parents are baby boomers and they're all about cash and paper checks. Can't get them to do anything online, or even use a debit card.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
upload_2019-8-21_13-13-9.jpeg

gee thanks, I try to keep up!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
There are two reasons for this:

A) My wife’s hobby has always been getting as many coupons and points and premiums as she can. She does the banking, (and I go through life with a blank look on my face doing what I am told!). We therefore use credit cards for the smallest purchase accumulating as many air miles or scene points as possible. We pay these off at the end of every month.

B) We live in Canada, which because of its smaller population and different banking system has had some of these things like interact cards, direct depositing, credit cards with PIN numbers and tap, far longer than the US.
(I am still shocked you don’t have the metric system yet!)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They basically are.

I use a check for utilities (city owned electric/water and corporate owned gas) and car insurance payments. That's 2 checks every month with 3 every 2nd month. Why? Because *all of those* charge me $3-$6 each time to pay with a CC. The check is much less expensive, I drive right by both utilities almost every day with work related stuff, and my office is next door to my insurance agent (I walk over to pay him). I have minimal out-of-pocket to pay those with a check. Everyone else, well... other than the local comic store where I pay with cash (to help 'em out a bit because of their low profit margin), gets paid with a CC that's paid off every month (via electric fund transfer).

I get annoyed when the person ahead of me in any payment line whips out a checkbook to pay. It slows things considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks