What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
How about people who absolutely insist on backing into every parking space? They are always either so crooked that they are on an angle, or so close to you that you can’t get into your car.

Rule: You can see best when you are looking forward, so you pull forward into the narrow parking space. You can’t see as well when moving backward, so you pull out into the much wider aisle when you leave!

Heh. Since getting my current car with a rear camera I prefer backing into spaces. I don't have depth perception so I never know how close I am to kissing the bumper or concrete wall when pulling front first into a parking space. With the rear camera I can clearly see the parking lines and the fore-mentioned bumper/concrete wall. Plus proximity sensors warn me to stop. When pulling into my garage I have to have a mark on my wall aligned with my door lock so I know when to stop.

But, yeah, I totally get what you're saying. My office window overlooks the parking lot at work and watching people (attempt to) park is often entertaining. You can tell those who don't have reverse cameras because it takes them several attempts to back into a space.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Related to my upcoming Thursday morning colonoscopy (Yes, this will be my first!):

- Maybe I'm just overthinking things, but while the instructions are to dissolve the contents of ONE packet of PEG 3350 into 1 L of water, mix well, and drink ALL of this solution between 3 and 6 PM on the day before the procedure, the kit comes with TWO packets. What am I supposed to do with the second packet, throw it away? If so, why even include two packets in the first place? :blink:

- Having to deal with the fact that the local scoping centre and my endocrinologist's instructions regarding my diabetic medication dosages on the day before and morning of my procedure don't jibe. Yes, I know that my endocrinologist's instructions are supposed to take precedent, but it's still annoying.

At least the 3 Bisacodyl tablets that I'm supposed to take at 3PM tomorrow jibes with what is actually included in my kit, so there is that! :D

Unrelated, I see that I just missed being the 4000th post on this thread! ;)

CHEERS! :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Related to my upcoming Thursday morning colonoscopy (Yes, this will be my first!):

- Maybe I'm just overthinking things, but while the instructions are to dissolve the contents of ONE packet of PEG 3350 into 1 L of water, mix well, and drink ALL of this solution between 3 and 6 PM on the day before the procedure, the kit comes with TWO packets. What am I supposed to do with the second packet, throw it away? If so, why even include two packets in the first place? :blink:

- Having to deal with the fact that the local scoping centre and my endocrinologist's instructions regarding my diabetic medication dosages on the day before and morning of my procedure don't jibe. Yes, I know that my endocrinologist's instructions are supposed to take precedent, but it's still annoying.

At least the 3 Bisacodyl tablets that I'm supposed to take at 3PM tomorrow jibes with what is actually included in my kit, so there is that! :D

Well 4001 is a nice number. When ever we get conflicting medical instructions, we always call to determine what we should do.

Welcome to the world of colonoscopies. Be sure to follow the instructions to get yourself cleared out, otherwise the procedure is pointless and will have to be repeated. The worst part is the prep. Yuch!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

When ever we get conflicting medical instructions, we always call to determine what we should do.

Welcome to the world of colonoscopies. Be sure to follow the instructions to get yourself cleared out, otherwise the procedure is pointless and will have to be repeated.
Absolutely.

I think those "prep packets" are pretty generic and believe some doctors do things differently. I wasn't given a "kit" but was instructed to purchase an over-the-counter bottle of Colyte (basically magnesium oxide in liquid form - nasty stuff - but less than $1/bottle) and a specific, generic, over-the-counter laxative to take in stages. The "what to purchase" page said get 2 bottles but the prep instructions page indicated drinking only one. I called - they said one.

Like Johnny said... I'd call to be on the safe side. You do *not* want to do that prep again... or at least until the next time which is hopefully 10 years.
The worst part is the prep. Yuch!
Most assuredly. Even getting rid of the extra gas and discomfort that caused afterwards wasn't bad taking the prep process into account.

I'm hoping they'll have a better process in place before I have to do that again...

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Oh, it gets better! :rolleyes:

I did call the Scoping Centre just before closing today. It turns out that I have to drink a second mixed solution, starting 6 hours BEFORE my 9 am procedure. Yep, add having to haul my ass out of bed at 3 am to the list of headaches associated with my upcoming colonoscopy procedure! At least I'll be sedated for it. :P

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Also, what is the consensus regarding Coffee consumption the day before a Colonoscopy procedure?

While the diabetic instructions that the London Scoping Centre emailed me includes Coffee and Tea as day before Colonoscopy beverage options, their Colon Bi-Peglyte PDF lists Coffee and Tea as no-nos.

Since I tend to suffer caffeine withdrawal headaches, I say the former wins out for me, though I will limit my usual 10 cup a day intake to about 6. It's bad enough that I have to drink it black. :P

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Also, what is the consensus regarding Coffee consumption the day before a Colonoscopy procedure?

While the diabetic instructions that the London Scoping Centre emailed me includes Coffee and Tea as day before Colonoscopy beverage options, their Colon Bi-Peglyte PDF lists Coffee and Tea as no-nos.

Since I tend to suffer caffeine withdrawal headaches, I say the former wins out for me, though I will limit my usual 10 cup a day intake to about 6. It's bad enough that I have to drink it black. :P

I am allowed black coffee the day before. However, black is the way I drink it (just like the little girl in Airplane:P). Jeez, 10 cups a day? You really like your coffee.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
My major annoyance lately has been people who cannot drive the speed limit and then speeding up and slowing down between 40-50 mph in a 55 mph zone as if they haven't heard of cruise control. These are probably the same people who also don't pay attention at stoplights (especially those that have shorter intervals than the busy highway cross traffic) so they spend 5-10 secs after the light has turned green to move their foot from the brake to the accelerator creating a gaper delay for everyone else behind them and then you have to spend another cycle at the intersection when you were only two or three cars behind the leader when the light turned green. So annoying that some people behave myopically in public as if they're the only ones moving about with no regard whatsoever to unspoken civil politeness for others who are trying to make their way in the world as well.

Uhn. I have to do this soon myself and am dreading having to choke down that prep solution along with the procedure itself. Of course I've been aware of a colonoscopy for decades but didn't know all the particulars surrounding the procedure and now I'm just like, "Really!?!" Good luck, Tony!

Really-SNL.jpg

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
BTW, there is a “low volum” option for the prep stuff. Next time I’m going to ask for that. By low volume, I mean the volume of prep crap you have to drink.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
On my soapbox: Any unpleasantness from the prep and procedure is more than made up by the potential of a tumor not being discovered until you have symptoms. Wait that long and you’ve got a serious cancer situation. Mine was discovered early and I’m in the 90% surgically cured category. No Chemo or radiation!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I am allowed black coffee the day before. However, black is the way I drink it (just like the little girl in Airplane:P). Jeez, 10 cups a day? You really like your coffee.
I drink a pot a day. The carafe says it's 12 cups but it comes out to 5-6 in the cup I use. My first cup of the day is "froo-froo" coffee (usually a chocolate-mint creamer) and the rest is black.

This past Sunday I went with my daughter to take my oldest grandkid to band camp (in Conway). By the time we were headed home (around 3pm) I had a splitting headache, took some aspirin, got home, and promptly went to sleep in my comfy chair. When I woke the next morning it hit me that I'd had *zero* coffee on Sunday. My daughter had stopped at Starbucks 3 times (she's "addicted" to iced froo-froo coffees) and I refused anything each time (I can't stand what they pass off as coffee) never thinking about caffeine headaches. When I got home Monday afternoon I told my wife what I suspected, and confirmed the symptoms with her (she used to suffer them frequently - it took months for the doctors to figure out it was a caffeine issue - she was drinking 3-4 pots(!!) a day at the time). Wow! I've never had a headache so bad. I will *not* be repeating that if I can help it! We pick him up this Saturday and you can be assured I'll be either drinking some coffee before we leave or taking along a couple of cups worth for the drive.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've become quite experienced at backing into a parking space. Leaving is much easier and quicker. :)

Big annoyance over the weekend: What IS it with old people and the INSISTENCE on writing checks instead of using an ATM card? So annoying.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Big annoyance over the weekend: What IS it with old people and the INSISTENCE on writing checks instead of using an ATM card? So annoying.
Yep, I shudder anytime I take a parent shopping and they have to write a check. My mother finally got her first debit card at the age of 71. We'll see now if we can wean her off the checks. My father is a lost cause.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've become quite experienced at backing into a parking space. Leaving is much easier and quicker. :)

I've almost changed checkouts when getting behind someone who pulls out the checkbook *after* being told the total. Really!?! You know you're going to write a check so get the checkbook out and make out as much as possible *before* the checker finishes with your purchases. At least now many locations just scan the check and it processes similar to a debit card.

Almost as bad are those who start to dig in their wallet for the cash or exact change after being told the amount.

While I generally do not like them (where's my discount for doing an employee's work?) I've gotten to where I use self-checkout to avoid such stupidity.

In all fairness... I refuse to use an "ATM" aka debit card. They offer little protection should the card be compromised. I know people who had account issues after their card was "stolen." Usually issues getting the money properly, and quickly, credited back. Because of that I use nothing but CC and pay it off every month. Zero liability should it get compromised.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In all fairness... I refuse to use an "ATM" aka debit card. They offer little protection should the card be compromised. I know people who had account issues after their card was "stolen." Usually issues getting the money properly, and quickly, credited back. Because of that I use nothing but CC and pay it off every month. Zero liability should it get compromised.
I only use my debit card where the card remains in my possession (most stores). I never use a debit card at a restaurant or any place where they take the card away, out of sight, then bring it back. In those places I use a credit card. And though the card would remain in my hand, I also don't use debit at gas stations where the readers at the outdoor pumps are easier to compromise with skimmers and such.

I've never had any issues with my debit card being compromised. The only issue I've ever had with any card was one MasterCard that once had the number stolen, I believe at a restaurant where the staff likely skimmed the card when they took it away for payment of my bill.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I drink a pot a day. The carafe says it's 12 cups but it comes out to 5-6 in the cup I use. My first cup of the day is "froo-froo" coffee (usually a chocolate-mint creamer) and the rest is black.

This past Sunday I went with my daughter to take my oldest grandkid to band camp (in Conway). By the time we were headed home (around 3pm) I had a splitting headache, took some aspirin, got home, and promptly went to sleep in my comfy chair. When I woke the next morning it hit me that I'd had *zero* coffee on Sunday. My daughter had stopped at Starbucks 3 times (she's "addicted" to iced froo-froo coffees) and I refused anything each time (I can't stand what they pass off as coffee) never thinking about caffeine headaches. When I got home Monday afternoon I told my wife what I suspected, and confirmed the symptoms with her (she used to suffer them frequently - it took months for the doctors to figure out it was a caffeine issue - she was drinking 3-4 pots(!!) a day at the time). Wow! I've never had a headache so bad. I will *not* be repeating that if I can help it! We pick him up this Saturday and you can be assured I'll be either drinking some coffee before we leave or taking along a couple of cups worth for the drive.
Going by your calculations, my coffee intake would be 4-5 cups, as it reads as 10 in my carafe.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
My daughter had stopped at Starbucks 3 times (she's "addicted" to iced froo-froo coffees) and I refused anything each time (I can't stand what they pass off as coffee) never thinking about caffeine headaches.

I don't blame you! I drink 3 cups a day (seldom more than that), and it's all black every time. I can't even stand iced coffee (tastes vile)!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I don't mind people using checks, although as I recall when I was a kid before debit cards mostly took over, it used to be the courteous thing to do to have it partially prepared before it's time to pay so all that's needed is to write in the total. I don't seem to see that anymore on the rare occasion I'm behind someone paying with a check.

But I really hate it when I'm at a convenience store or drug store and see that a senior citizen is in front of me. It inevitably means 10 minutes of waiting while they slowly select lottery tickets, perhaps do multiple transactions (buying tickets for multiple people, I suppose), and sometimes they'll even wait and see if they got any winners before moving aside.

I also hate if I'm at Wal-Mart late in the evening when the two local colleges are in session. You'll get packs of 6-12 college kids that don't seem to have learned yet how to use their debit card, each buying one or two things and struggling to be able to pay for it. It's not their fault and they have every right to be shopping, but it sure makes for a really slow checkout line.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks