What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Amazon sending me e
Mails asking if I’d buy individual seasons of tv shows after I bought the complete series of the same tv shows

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sounds similar to my cable company that keeps sending me all these great offers that are only available for "new customers." I'm a current customer, and have been a continuous customer for years, so I don't know why they keep wasting money printing and posting these special offers for which I'm not eligible. Can't they tell I'm a customer?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds similar to my cable company that keeps sending me all these great offers that are only available for "new customers." I'm a current customer, and have been a continuous customer for years, so I don't know why they keep wasting money printing and posting these special offers for which I'm not eligible. Can't they tell I'm a customer?

In the age where everyone is pushing paperless, why would they send you mailings like that in the first place? I’ve worked in customer service for several large companies and it amazes me that they even send paper to people

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Your cable company doesn’t even know you’re getting these. Things like that are generally contracted out to a 3rd party mailer who mass-mails every serviceable address in a particular region of the country. It doesn’t matter if you’re a current subscriber. If you have a valid mailing address, you get the advert.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
In the age where everyone is pushing paperless, why would they send you mailings like that in the first place? I’ve worked in customer service for several large companies and it amazes me that they even send paper to people
Paper mailings are still tremendously successful. If they weren’t, companies would stop doing it. Because of what I do for a living, I request a paper copy of every bill I pay, even though I pay everything online. I also request a paper copy of every insurance claim and EOB.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Your cable company doesn’t even know you’re getting these. Things like that are generally contracted out to a 3rd party mailer who mass-mails every serviceable address in a particular region of the country. It doesn’t matter if you’re a current subscriber. If you have a valid mailing address, you get the advert.

And you might think of it this way-- if someone you know doesn't have the service, you could possibly turn them on to it and gain a new customer!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We go to Niagara Falls at least 2X a week. When we get near the border our phones receive a text which says “Welcome to the USA. Here are all your possible ways to bill you etc. etc.

We then go deeper into the US but near the border again on the way to our hotel on the US side near the Falls we get “Welcome to Canada”. These announcements continue over and over until we get about 5 each.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This issue has probably been brought up by somebody on this thread already (3,946 posts is a lot of annoyances). Here’s one-
a few years ago, I pledged $50 over the phone to donate to a cause. That opened the floodgates for a bunch of other people to constantly call me, and ask for money. I took the first couple of calls, and declined to donate (I don’t have an endless supply of money- who does?). I stopped answering the phone if it was a number I didn’t recognize. One day, the same number showed up 4 different times within the space of an hour. That 4th time is when I answered the call, and angrily told them not to call my number again. I still get a bunch of calls from several different numbers- I don’t hit accept anymore.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, no good deed goes unpunished. You make one charitable donation, you have dozens of others hounding you. It doesn't pay to be charitable.

A similar thing happened to me with blood donation. I gave once a couple years ago (I used to give regularly in college, but hadn't donated for years), and was inundated with mailings and phone calls from the Red Cross. I finally told them to leave me alone, and I will never donate blood again.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Paper mailings are still tremendously successful. If they weren’t, companies would stop doing it. Because of what I do for a living, I request a paper copy of every bill I pay, even though I pay everything online. I also request a paper copy of every insurance claim and EOB.

I prefer paper bills. An email is going to get missed, and having a paper copy ensures I'm am going to review the charges. If I just get an email telling me my bill was paid I'm not going to be inclined to follow the links, and sign in and download my bill for review. Additionally, I keep all my bills in yearly folders. Every now and then I need to go back and look something up.

What I find ridiculous is how companies pressure you to go to paperless billing to be more ecological, but then pack their paper bills with a dozen ads from various companies. Just send the bill and the return envelope and nothing else.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My uncle died some years ago. Mourners were asked to donate in his name to The Salvation Army. We did so, and not a week seemed to go buy without begging letters from them. We called, put return to sender on the mail — finally it stopped.

When my mother-in-law died, we had her mail re-directed here. We discovered that she had been scammed to contribute to almost every charity we could think of. I made dozens of calls to get her off the lists. Most were very good. Some would not give up. My wife made up large stickers to paste on mail which said:

FOR GOD SAKE! SHE’S DEAD!!!

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
In the vein of paper bills...

I prefer paper - keep your "paperless" billing. Trees are *grown for the specific purpose of making paper* and the manufacturers constantly replant their paper forests on a rotating basis! Keep your "treehugger" mentality for the ones that matter - Old growth forests and hardwoods not grown specifically for furniture making.

So... my cable company charges me $1 per month for the privilege of receiving a paper bill! Of course this is in addition to all the other somewhat usurious fees charged. I've complained constantly and it falls on deaf ears. My dad simply pays everything but that $1. I keep wanting to look at his bill to see if they're charging a "late fee" for that small amount not being paid.

I wish there was an alternative but they're the only viable game in town for internet service (AT&T offers a laughably slow 3Mbps service in most of the town with a few close to the core getting up to 18Mbps for what the cable company charges for 400Mbps service). The satellite "TV" folks are no better than cable and, in the long run, just about as expensive with horrible and flaky service (most lose signal during heavy rain). My wife won't let me dump "Cable TV" - bummer.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In the vein of paper bills...

I prefer paper - keep your "paperless" billing. Trees are *grown for the specific purpose of making paper* and the manufacturers constantly replant their paper forests on a rotating basis! Keep your "treehugger" mentality for the ones that matter - Old growth forests and hardwoods not grown specifically for furniture making.

So... my cable company charges me $1 per month for the privilege of receiving a paper bill! Of course this is in addition to all the other somewhat usurious fees charged. I've complained constantly and it falls on deaf ears. My dad simply pays everything but that $1. I keep wanting to look at his bill to see if they're charging a "late fee" for that small amount not being paid.

I wish there was an alternative but they're the only viable game in town for internet service (AT&T offers a laughably slow 3Mbps service in most of the town with a few close to the core getting up to 18Mbps for what the cable company charges for 400Mbps service). The satellite "TV" folks are no better than cable and, in the long run, just about as expensive with horrible and flaky service (most lose signal during heavy rain). My wife won't let me dump "Cable TV" - bummer.

From the looks of it, you're getting smoked all the way around!

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
What I find ridiculous is how companies pressure you to go to paperless billing to be more ecological, but then pack their paper bills with a dozen ads from various companies. Just send the bill and the return envelope and nothing else.
Selling ad space inside an envelope is a revenue stream for the company that sent the bill and they’re not likely to stop that. For all utilities, car payments, insurance, medical bills, credit card, etc... I get the bill along with an email reminder that payment is due. I’ll go online to review the monthly statement and make a payment, then shred the paper bill.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Selling ad space inside an envelope is a revenue stream for the company that sent the bill and they’re not likely to stop that. For all utilities, car payments, insurance, medical bills, credit card, etc... I get the bill along with an email reminder that payment is due. I’ll go online to review the monthly statement and make a payment, then shred the paper bill.

You can't just go paperless?

Paul D G

Screenwriter

Yes, I understand that, but they're also trying to get us to go paperless under the guise of being more ecological. Either truly go ecological and reduce the paper being used in these mailers, or quit nagging me every time I log on to their site. One or the other. Either way it's truly only about money - either making it or reducing costs to maximize profit.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Beyonce, Ariana Grande, and Lin Manuel Miranda. Any one of these three clears their throats and my social media feed and local newscasts goes crazy with stories and fan worship.

I know I'm alone in this, but currently, Game of Thrones as well. I binged the first two seasons but gave up on the third. It's just not my thing. I'm not going to slam anyone for liking it but man, I've already put so many filters on my Twitter feed and posts about it still get through.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Beyonce, Ariana Grande, and Lin Manuel Miranda. Any one of these three clears their throats and my social media feed and local newscasts goes crazy with stories and fan worship.
Definitely agree. Grande has a nice voice given the right song, but I've never understood the appeal of the other two at all or why they engender such fanatical devotion. There is no celebrity that I'd raise on a pedestal that high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks