What's new

What annoys you? (2 Viewers)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Our CBC forecasts weather for the entire country. They start in Vancouver and work east. By the time Ontario is reached, my mind has wandered out the window, and I miss it every time!
Ontario has basically been colder than usual for this time of year. Glad I'm not still living in the Near North, where temperatures have already dropped to below -25 Celsius, at times! We're broke AF, though!

CHEERS! :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Then he drops his little bomb saying "But you get $128 worth of accessories with our bundle and it's just $6 more per month x18 months" I tell him thanks but no thanks, I just want the phone. NOPE he says, he says that the EVERY phone in the store that is sold is sold in a "bundle" and you can't just buy the phone alone because they "make no money on phones" WTF!? So I tell him that's a scam if I've ever heard one and he claimed that all their stores in town do that, BUT there are a couple of other "franchises" that might not. So I left and called another franchiser of TMO and she said she'd gladly just sell me the phone. So off I went and now I have the new 6T at the online pricing of $24 per month.

Sheesh, what a scam. I feel bad for the folks who think the bundle is such a deal and pay the extra $6 every month for 18-24 months.

Glad you were able to find a dealer who'd let you buy just the phone, just the way you wanted it!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Glad you were able to find a dealer who'd let you buy just the phone, just the way you wanted it!

Couldn't agree more. I wasn't smart enough to know that AT&T was giving me the business a few years ago when they convinced me my only option to get a new phone was to get it through them and doing their plan of breaking up the payment over 24 months (just to keep me tied to them for that amount of time). I had wanted to just buy the phone and not have the monthly payments (not that there was any interest involved). I've since learned that I have many, many other options. But I was pissed when I found out that I hadn't had to do it that way.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
What annyos me? How about when a friend or family member asks for your professional advice, then does a complete 180 from what you recommended, then complains to you about the decision (but doesn't even credit you for telling them otherwise)?

This time last year, my sister calls me up and asks me to put together an appliance package for her house - kitchen and laundry - and even gave me a budget that she was working with. For those who do not know, I sold appliances for almost five years before moving to rural Nevada last year, and was top salesman in my region for much of that time, so I am pretty knowledgeable. I put together a few packages for her. She then asks me about putting together a package of GE appliances since she can get a rebate on them through her employer. I told her that GE was not a good choice, based on my experience and feedback from customers, plus the fact that nearly every floor model that came into our showroom arrived with with some sort of dent or scratch, including most that were new-in-box. "Oh, that's good to know" she tells me. Then asks if I can recommend a TV and soundbar solution, and I give her a few options.

Several weeks later, my wife and I are over at her house for Christmas, and I notice that her kitchen and laundry room are decked out in, you guessed it, GE appliances, and her husband begins telling me this long story about how the retailer tried to deliver scratch and dent open box items even though the invoice clearly stated NEW, and thus refused shipment, only to have new in box arrive the following week with the fridge, washer, and dryer all badly dented. Then my sister chimes in "Yeah, these really aren't that great." I had to basically bite my toungue the entire time we were there, especially when they go to turn on the football game, and although the TV was on my list, the soundbar was one that, when asked, I said to not bother or waste the money on. And, you guessed, it, the two bitched about how low-powered it was.

Fast forward one year later, and the small church my wife and I attend asks me to recommend a solution for recording the weekly sermons so they can post them up on Vimeo. Knowing that I am the only "techie" in the very small congregation, i make a rather low-tech and low-cost recommendation. Instead, they go with something much more high tech that I just know will go over most people's heads. I asked, "Who is going to operate this equipment?" And of course, the one guy who is always mucking up my A/V setup at the church raises his hand. Turns out, he was the one who recommended what was purchased. I politely told them that I would prefer to listen to the weekly message than operate or provide tech support to the camera and recording equipment. I just know that once they try to set it up, they are going to come crying to me to "fix it."

I'm just too nice a guy to say "I told you so...."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What annyos me? How about when a friend or family member asks for your professional advice, then does a complete 180 from what you recommended, then complains to you about the decision (but doesn't even credit you for telling them otherwise)?

This time last year, my sister calls me up and asks me to put together an appliance package for her house - kitchen and laundry - and even gave me a budget that she was working with. For those who do not know, I sold appliances for almost five years before moving to rural Nevada last year, and was top salesman in my region for much of that time, so I am pretty knowledgeable. I put together a few packages for her. She then asks me about putting together a package of GE appliances since she can get a rebate on them through her employer. I told her that GE was not a good choice, based on my experience and feedback from customers, plus the fact that nearly every floor model that came into our showroom arrived with with some sort of dent or scratch, including most that were new-in-box. "Oh, that's good to know" she tells me. Then asks if I can recommend a TV and soundbar solution, and I give her a few options.

Several weeks later, my wife and I are over at her house for Christmas, and I notice that her kitchen and laundry room are decked out in, you guessed it, GE appliances, and her husband begins telling me this long story about how the retailer tried to deliver scratch and dent open box items even though the invoice clearly stated NEW, and thus refused shipment, only to have new in box arrive the following week with the fridge, washer, and dryer all badly dented. Then my sister chimes in "Yeah, these really aren't that great." I had to basically bite my toungue the entire time we were there, especially when they go to turn on the football game, and although the TV was on my list, the soundbar was one that, when asked, I said to not bother or waste the money on. And, you guessed, it, the two bitched about how low-powered it was.

Fast forward one year later, and the small church my wife and I attend asks me to recommend a solution for recording the weekly sermons so they can post them up on Vimeo. Knowing that I am the only "techie" in the very small congregation, i make a rather low-tech and low-cost recommendation. Instead, they go with something much more high tech that I just know will go over most people's heads. I asked, "Who is going to operate this equipment?" And of course, the one guy who is always mucking up my A/V setup at the church raises his hand. Turns out, he was the one who recommended what was purchased. I politely told them that I would prefer to listen to the weekly message than operate or provide tech support to the camera and recording equipment. I just know that once they try to set it up, they are going to come crying to me to "fix it."

I'm just too nice a guy to say "I told you so...."

C'mon, Todd...

My wife asks me my opinion ALL THE TIME...only to do whatever she was planning on in the first place anyway. :laugh:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I politely told them that I would prefer to listen to the weekly message than operate or provide tech support to the camera and recording equipment. I just know that once they try to set it up, they are going to come crying to me to "fix it.""

Wow! I've had similar experiences. In one instance I was a member of a church that wanted to offer basic computer classes. I had been professionally working with Windows based computers for probably 20 years at the time. They initially turned it over to me but eventually brought in some other guy. Turns out they got a grant and his involvement meant money for them, never mind the two years I spent building the program, I was gone.

Eventually I found a new church. This time I simply volunteered for the "Media Ministry" which handles the A/V services. I have a demanding work schedule. After maybe 6 months I was confronted by the Pastors secretary at the entrance to the booth. She said I had to agree to a schedule. I couldn't do that because I have to work on my real job late nights and some weekends. I was told it was non- negotiable and that was the end of my involvement. I've now found other opportunities to serve that don't require such rigid commitments but I definitely identify with your experience.

I won't even bore you with my family experiences. Suffice it to say, those of us with tech skills are seriously taken for granted and underappreciated..

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Except I repeatedly call her out on it afterward.

"WHY did you even bother to ask me??"

Even though we're not supposed to talk politics here, I personally feel that such is what I would be faced with if someone asked me about such a thing. I'd be afraid to state my opinion because I'm worried that someone would call me wrong (even if I stated that what I was saying was indeed my opinion). As if there's a right/wrong opinion to begin with!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Even though we're not supposed to talk politics here, I personally feel that such is what I would be faced with if someone asked me about such a thing. I'd be afraid to state my opinion because I'm worried that someone would call me wrong (even if I stated that what I was saying was indeed my opinion). As if there's a right/wrong opinion to begin with!

You're not alone. When presented with opposing opinions I just agree to disagree. For whatever reason, some can't do that.

Mods. If this crosses the line please forgive me and do what you have to.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Trying to figure out why 1 or 2 well known news websites are obsessed with almost bi-weekly stories about Will Smith and Jada Smith and their divorce issues. I think I've seen 6 "news" stories about their marital issues in the last couple of months

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

You're not alone. When presented with opposing opinions I just agree to disagree. For whatever reason, some can't do that.

Mods. If this crosses the line please forgive me and do what you have to.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Today, the new Canadian National Alert system was tested via cell phones and televisions. The annoyance is that prior to this morning, there didn't seem to be any other advance warnings of this happening.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Today, the new Canadian National Alert system was tested via cell phones and televisions. The annoyance is that prior to this morning, there didn't seem to be any other advance warnings of this happening.

Are you able to opt out? I think we have that option here in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks