What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Are they the same bugs which seem to invade Cleveland every year during a portion of the baseball season?

I've always heard those referred to as "midges."

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Nope.

Midges look similar to mosquitoes, but do not bite:
midges_adult_600-97-600-450-90.jpeg

The Mayflies we had look like this:
5KTKXKDKHKHS8QV02QD0EQ104QA0KKC06QUKEQPK4QO0VQJ0NQZSGK1K9QRS9QVKWQRSWQAKXK6KQKEKSKO08Q2K2QT0.jpg

There are darker varieties, but ours were the pale and/or light green ones. They have huge swarms that are quite visible. Had those been Mayflies on that field they'd have had trouble playing due to the amount of bugs in the air.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My aunt had a devilish sense of humour. Fish flies are really stupid things that only land on you and flap their wings up and down slowly. They are also ultra easy to catch. My aunt liked to take one and put it on my cousin’s shoulder and say “here is a broach for you!” She was rewarded by my cousin screaming and heading for the hills!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Ogdensburg NY used to be famous for its shadflies. People used to even have to use their snow shovels to clear sidewalks of them.

In recent years though, it's much less of a hassle for some reason.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Ogdensburg NY used to be famous for its shadflies. People used to even have to use their snow shovels to clear sidewalks of them.

In recent years though, it's much less of a hassle for some reason.
Hopefully, this isn't a sign of environmental issues. I've always heard that so long as the shads spawn off of Lake Nipissing as they do every June and July, it's a positive sign that it hasn't become overly polluted. Of course, with the local sanitation plant alongside the lake, I do sometimes wonder. The Mrs said there was a sewage leak this Spring, and there didn't seem to be as many shadflies this year, either.

North Bay shadflies are of the dirty brown variety. I've always referred to them as "Snap, crackle, and stink!" ;)

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Due to logistics, having to mail the modem back to our soon to be former provider (They're unavailable in the city we are moving to!) 2 days before we move, despite technically having access to their service up until our day of departure. We're basically going to be without internet access for at least the better part of 3 days.

First world problems, I know. We also recently received some disappointing financially related news, which means our month to month will be much tighter (Though thankfully, still doable!) than expected.

Just 2 days till moving day! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
With the caveat that no situation is ever perfect...wishing you all the best Tony that this long-awaited move goes without too many hitches and brings you all much happiness.
Thank you very much, Mike! It hasn't been without its bumps to be sure, but we're getting there.

By the way, after today, I'll be offline for a few days, as we're mailing our modem back to Cogeco tomorrow morning. We should be back up next week with our new Bell package, which will include TCM! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
At the end of June when we signed on with Bell, our installation appointment was set for August 2, between 5-7 PM. This was so that our son could be at our Apartment AFTER working hours to oversee the installation.

Of course, the Bell Installation Technicians showed up at 1 PM, and our Landlord called our son at his work to let him know. As a result, he ended up getting the OK from his understanding employer to take a leave from work. Thankfully, he only had to go a few blocks, but SHEESH!

So, are these appointment blocks merely suggestions? I suppose we should be thankful the Bell Technicians showed up on the right day? :rolleyes:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
At the end of June when we signed on with Bell, our installation appointment was set for August 2, between 5-7 PM. This was so that our son could be at our Apartment AFTER working hours to oversee the installation.

Of course, the Bell Installation Technicians showed up at 1 PM, and our Landlord called our son at his work to let him know. As a result, he ended up getting the OK from his understanding employer to take a leave from work. Thankfully, he only had to go a few blocks, but SHEESH!

So, are these appointment blocks merely suggestions? I suppose we should be thankful the Bell Technicians showed up on the right day? :rolleyes:

In the states, we are usually given three timeframes depending on the company. They’ll either show up between 8AM and noon, 1PM and 4PM or they waste your entire day by saying the technician will be there sometime between 8AM and 5PM. I usually end up having to take an entire day off work if I ever have to have a service tech out for satellite or internet issues.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Annnnnd here’s my insomnia again. I could hardly keep my eyes open on the drive home from work this afternoon and went to bed at 6. As soon as my head hit the pillow I snapped wide awake and have been lying here in the dark for 3 ½ hours. I have to get back up for work in 3 hours (12:30 AM) and there’s no sleep in sight. :angry: I might as well look at HTF for a while.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Annnnnd here’s my insomnia again. I could hardly keep my eyes open on the drive home from work this afternoon and went to bed at 6. As soon as my head hit the pillow I snapped wide awake and have been lying here in the dark for 3 ½ hours. I have to get back up for work in 3 hours (12:30 AM) and there’s no sleep in sight. :angry: I might as well look at HTF for a while.
Sounds like you're pulling split shifts, or something along that line. I don't find it hard to fathom how this could mess with one's sleep patterns! Sorry to hear this is giving you trouble, again.

CHEERS! (Not taped before a live studio audience!) ;)

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Sounds like you're pulling split shifts, or something along that line. I don't find it hard to fathom how this could mess with one's sleep patterns! Sorry to hear this is giving you trouble, again.

CHEERS! (Not taped before a live studio audience!) ;)
Not split shifts, just long days. I normally get up at 2:30AM on Monday - Thursday, cook breakfast, shower, and commute about an hour to work. My work hours are 6-2:30. Fridays I get up at 12:30AM and work 4-12:30PM. My afternoon commute is often 1.5 - 2 hours+ due to traffic and I may have to run errands and make multiple stops on my way home as well. It’s nothing for me to leave home at 4:15 in the morning and not get back home until 5-5:30 in the afternoon. Thursday night/Friday morning always presents a challenge since I’m usually having to go to bed as soon as I get home so I can turn around and get back up in 6 or 7 hours.

I actually fell asleep last night around 11 and my alarm jarred me awake at 12:30. It’s a three cup of coffee and a monster energy drink day.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Not split shifts, just long days. I normally get up at 2:30AM on Monday - Thursday, cook breakfast, shower, and commute about an hour to work. My work hours are 6-2:30. Fridays I get up at 12:30AM and work 4-12:30PM. My afternoon commute is often 1.5 - 2 hours+ due to traffic and I may have to run errands and make multiple stops on my way home as well. It’s nothing for me to leave home at 4:15 in the morning and not get back home until 5-5:30 in the afternoon.
Clinton, this sounds positively awful. Sorry you have such an arrangement, but like everyone else you gotta do what you gotta do I suppose.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My afternoon commute is often 1.5 - 2 hours+ due to traffic and I may have to run errands and make multiple stops on my way home as well. It’s nothing for me to leave home at 4:15 in the morning and not get back home until 5-5:30 in the afternoon.

Wow! I had no idea it had gotten that bad in Arkansas. My wife is from nearby Oklahoma and traffic there is basically a breeze. Hopefully a new and better opportunity is in your near future.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not split shifts, just long days. I normally get up at 2:30AM on Monday - Thursday, cook breakfast, shower, and commute about an hour to work. My work hours are 6-2:30. Fridays I get up at 12:30AM and work 4-12:30PM. My afternoon commute is often 1.5 - 2 hours+ due to traffic and I may have to run errands and make multiple stops on my way home as well. It’s nothing for me to leave home at 4:15 in the morning and not get back home until 5-5:30 in the afternoon. Thursday night/Friday morning always presents a challenge since I’m usually having to go to bed as soon as I get home so I can turn around and get back up in 6 or 7 hours.

I actually fell asleep last night around 11 and my alarm jarred me awake at 12:30. It’s a three cup of coffee and a monster energy drink day.
That sounds like a broadcasting shift. I used to work 5am-1:30pm M-F if I was training a new director. Fortunately my commute was ~15 minutes if traffic was bad.

By "Central AR" I'm assuming you life in/around LR and are commuting to Searcy, or Hot Springs, or vice-versa (I can't imagine it being that bad to/from Conway or Beebe - but if you live around Vilonia and are going into/out of LR... Well... I don't envy you). I've been in some of that LR area drive-time traffic (7:30-8:30am and 4:30-6pm) but didn't realize early afternoons are that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks