What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
How people seem to be dismayed when they go to a store on the second day of a predicted historic heat wave and the air conditioners are all sold out.

Meteorologists were predicting for a week that this heat wave in New England would be very intense, but rather than get out there and buy an AC in the days before the heat gets here, people wait until the heat wave is already in progress then moan about not being able to find any AC's.

You have to plan ahead, folks. If you wait until the event is already in progress, you will be out of luck.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
How people seem to be dismayed when they go to a store on the second day of a predicted historic heat wave and the air conditioners are all sold out.

Meteorologists were predicting for a week that this heat wave in New England would be very intense, but rather than get out there and buy an AC in the days before the heat gets here, people wait until the heat wave is already in progress then moan about not being able to find any AC's.

You have to plan ahead, folks. If you wait until the event is already in progress, you will be out of luck.
While I agree with you for the most part, there are also those who have to wait for their end of the month pension checks to make such a purchase. Unfortunately, in this case, their arrival probably roughly coincided with the second or third day of this 'historic' heatwave in many areas.

Thankfully, we're set up with AC. We'll have to take it down before our move in August, though.

CHEERS! :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My job is now to train him. I
A squirt bottle of water is the most aggressive thing I would recommend. I would also suggest talking to the cat in a calm and loving voice, do it often enough and they often get the idea you like them. Hand out cat treats often. Socializing a cat is an effort, I agree.

Good luck. BTW, we allow our cats on the counters.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I don’t like “cat steps on turds in the litter box, cat steps on counter”. Actually the cat now basically loooooooooooves me!
In our household, counter and table tops, along with shelving units and the entertainment centre, are strictly verboten. Almost everywhere else is fine, though. Our cat loves me too, and has since day 1! :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Actually the cat now basically loooooooooooves me!

Who among us doesn't??
confused-smiley-013.gif

:D

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I don’t like “cat steps on turds in the litter box, cat steps on counter”. Actually the cat now basically loooooooooooves me!
My cat dragged kitty litter throughout the house, luckily not a "counter" cat.

Her litter box was in the basement. Counting the stairs and where I placed the box, easily 40 feet from the main floor. Yet the floor and stairway were covered with litter, must have had very clingy paws.

She's gone, no more constantly vacuuming fur and litter. Now a black lab, so just fur.

No throw-ups inside. If she's out and I see her chomping on the lawn or her favorite shrub, no coming inside until she barfs it up outside. :D

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
When certain family members are contrary for the apparent sake of it. We don't need unsolicited moving "Advice" from negative nancies who don't have a clue about the subject at hand, and continue to argue even after their argument has been credibly refuted.

The "Queen Of Trash" next door STILL leaves her garbage on the front lawn even AFTER somebody from housing paid a visit, warning her that she needs to clean up her act. That's Ok, though. While the Mrs and I were waiting for a cab the other day, a surprise yard inspection was being conducted in our section, thus our neighbor's (She was out, at the time!) trash was spotted in full view, and of course, I also put in my 2 cents regarding the ongoing issue! :D

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
With one month to go till moving day, and we now have a winged ant problem!

They're easy enough to kill, but the sheer number of them crawling up our patio window and living room walls, probably from the baseboards, has become an annoying pain in the ass!

It doesn't help that the only bug spray that we found to be effective that's also pet friendly, is no longer available locally. This past Spring, I tried to get some liquid Insectigone at our local Walmart, which was the last place in town that had them, but now they no longer carry it, either! Just the toxic crap, FFS!

You'd think that with the number of people who have pets, SOMEBODY would bloody damn well carry pet friendly bug killer, especially stuff that actually works! Yep, I'm super pissed about this, right now! :angry:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This is why we buy all our insect spray/weed killer/lawn insect spray in the states. Canadian regulations obviously value pests more than humans now.

We went on a US bus trip that included a shopping excursion and coming back from Walmart the entire bus smelled like weed and feed. Apparently you can’t sell the good stuff here, but it is not illegal to possess or import it for personal use.

My wife’s first defense is the vacuum cleaner! In the mean time, I have found ant traps very effective, and they can be picked up and put outside so pets can’t get at them when you are not looking. (We once had a squirrel grab one and run up a tree!).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This is why we buy all our insect spray/weed killer/lawn insect spray in the states. Canadian regulations obviously value pests more than humans now.

We went on a US bus trip that included a shopping excursion and coming back from Walmart the entire bus smelled like weed and feed. Apparently you can’t sell the good stuff here, but it is not illegal to possess or import it for personal use.

My wife’s first defense is the vacuum cleaner! In the mean time, I have found ant traps very effective, and they can be picked up and put outside so pets can’t get at them when you are not looking. (We once had a squirrel grab one and run up a tree!).
We do use Ant traps, which are very effective with the typical Ants that we normally get. They have zero effect on the Winged Ants, unfortunately. I did some vacuuming yesterday, but I don't think it helped much, in this case.

The Mrs sprayed the Listerine/Water mix, which she immediately noticed had a repelling effect, around the three open sides of our unit. So far, so good.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The flying ants I believe are the male ants. If so, they basically fly, mate and die and are only around for a short time.
True. We had a worse batch of them 3 summers ago, right around this time. As that was the only other instance that I recalled of having Winged Ants in the last 25 years, I thought that we were safe from getting any more batches before our move next month, but nope. At least spraying the diluted Listerine seems to be working at the moment.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
True. We had a worse batch of them 3 summers ago, right around this time. As that was the only other instance that I recalled of having Winged Ants in the last 25 years, I thought that we were safe from getting any more batches before our move next month, but nope. At least spraying the diluted Listerine seems to be working at the moment.

2 hours seems to be the limit with the diluted Listerine spray! :(

Just have to keep spraying around the Patio Door, I suppose. Regular Ants don't really bother me much (Although, it's a different story with the Mrs!), but Flying Ants annoy the bejesus out of me! Also, I had just been considering removing the Duct Tape that I had applied to the outer Patio Window sashes during our previous Flying Ants outbreak of 2015! I guess that'll have to wait a bit longer, PFFT!!

Ah well!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A mix of dishwashing soap and water will also work to kill some insects.
Thanks for that tip, Malcolm!

At least the diluted Listerine seems to be good for about 2 hours, which alleviates the having to get up every 2 minutes to kill another Winged Ant. Do you know whether the diluted dish soap might be an effective overnight solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks