What's new

What annoys you? (2 Viewers)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This is just a very minor annoyance, but today I read that the two surviving Dionne Quintuplets will be at the grand reopening of the Dionne Quints Museum in downtown North Bay on August 5, which will be the day AFTER we move to London! :blink:

However, the all time personal untimely departures/arrival award goes to my just narrowly missing Queen Elizabeth II's Canadian visits to North Bay and London, back in June, 1997. The longest reigning British Monarch visited London the day before we left North Bay, and North Bay the day we left for London for a week long family visit! At least I got a peek at the Queen Mother when she visited London in 1989, so there was that, at least! :D

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Interesting. I don't think there's any charge for mail forwarding in the U.S. (though it's been nearly 20 years since my last move, as well).
Not for first class mail. Just fill out the change of address form and turn it in. If you want periodicals or packages forwarded you have to pay a fee for each one and specifically indicate that on the form. But there's no up-front fee charged. You only get charged when they are delivered and even that's a simple "Postage Due" notice on the magazine or package. If you don't pay in a timely fashion the just won't deliver any more. You could also opt to have those held at the PO and get a notice in your mail that there's something for you to pick up. No fee for that. At least that's the way it was done the last time I changed addresses - about 30 years ago.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Don’t forget, you are dealing here with citizens of a country that for the most part are no longer getting door to door mail delivery. Some people in older neighbourhoods still do, but we have lived in this house for 30 years and have had to walk around the block to the “super” mailbox every Monday to Friday”.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Don’t forget, you are dealing here with citizens of a country that for the most part are no longer getting door to door mail delivery. Some people in older neighbourhoods still do, but we have lived in this house for 30 years and have had to walk around the block to the “super” mailbox every Monday to Friday”.
That sucks.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While we're on the subject of mail delivery, one aspect the Mrs and I have been fortunate with is having the complex community mailbox right behind our back yard. Each tenant has a designated compartment with a key. There are also several larger compartments designated for parcel delivery. The Apartment Building we will be moving into in London does have a secure entry system, so hopefully their postal setup will be similarly secure. I feel bad for those who have to walk or drive long distances to get their mail. Canadian stamp prices are certainly not any the cheaper for the ceasing of door to door service in many areas of our vast country within the past few years. It sucks, indeed! :(

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Especially when politicians get elected with promises to D to D restore delivery and the post office gets more and more profit since Amazon etc.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have to get back up for work in 5 hours and I’m not a bit sleepy.

I put new tires on my wife’s car about three weeks ago and she’s already picked up a nail.

Lazy people really bother me.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Lazy people really bother me.
Same here!

Coming home from my annual checkup at my Ophthalmologist's, we saw a neighbor who lives by one of the entrances to our complex. After a quick hello, the Mrs commented about how he walks all the way down to our end and around the corner to properly dispose of his garbage about three times a week. Meanwhile, our next door neighbor has to be prodded by somebody from housing just to walk around the corner to dispose of her trash. Even then, I suspect that she simply transfers it to her shed, she's that lazy!

Yep, it's annoying AF! We won't miss that nonsense after we move into our adults only building, either. We're literally counting down the days~43 to go! :)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not for first class mail. Just fill out the change of address form and turn it in. If you want periodicals or packages forwarded you have to pay a fee for each one and specifically indicate that on the form. But there's no up-front fee charged. You only get charged when they are delivered and even that's a simple "Postage Due" notice on the magazine or package. If you don't pay in a timely fashion the just won't deliver any more. You could also opt to have those held at the PO and get a notice in your mail that there's something for you to pick up. No fee for that. At least that's the way it was done the last time I changed addresses - about 30 years ago.
That's not they way it works anymore. I just moved a little over a year ago. The USPS now forwards First Class and Priority Mail for 12 months, and periodicals for 60 days. No charge, but make sure you notify your subscriptions to your new address.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That we can't simply stick with our same isp that we've overall, been very happy with over the past 6 years. The search for satisfactory packages available in the London area is proving a somewhat frustrating exercise, thus far.

Also, this past year, our cat's coughing up food and hairballs has markedly increased in frequency, to the point of it now occurring almost daily. Not a great situation, especially when we're moving from a carpet free unit to an apartment that's nearly all carpeted. :P

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
When co-workers leave their cell phones turned on, usually with the loudest ringtone possible, then leave their phones at their desks when they're walking around or at a meeting elsewhere.

They're nowhere to be found, but their phone is ringing like it's Armageddon.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
An inane first world annoyance, but due to our son not being able to book off the first Thursday in August (He had to settle for Friday, as somebody else at his work already had the Thursday booked!), our London relocation has been pushed back a day to Sunday, August 5, which also throws off our written Calendar countdown slightly.

A ripped open, mostly full bag of flour is our soon to be ex next door neighbor's latest choice of trash to leave outside in her front yard! :rolleyes:

Whether it be 35 or 36 days to go, for us, better days are coming soon! :dance:

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That we can't simply stick with our same isp that we've overall, been very happy with over the past 6 years. The search for satisfactory packages available in the London area is proving a somewhat frustrating exercise, thus far.

Also, this past year, our cat's coughing up food and hairballs has markedly increased in frequency, to the point of it now occurring almost daily. Not a great situation, especially when we're moving from a carpet free unit to an apartment that's nearly all carpeted. :P

Chalk another one up to the 'Never Say Never' department; After 6 1/2 years, we'll be back with Bell Canada when we move into our Apartment in London next month. At least they have better options available down there, than in North Bay. The Bell Associate at the Bell store in Northgate Square Mall was also very helpful. Incidentally, he is also Insulin Dependent Diabetic, like myself. The "Better" TV plan we signed up for will also include most of our preferred channels, including TCM! Not having the option of getting that station with any of the Cogeco packages was one of the few annoyances associated with them over the past several years. Our first late '90s go round with Cogeco was also not a pleasant one, so hopefully Bell will in turn, be at least a somewhat better experience for us, this time around!

Meanwhile, the cat is still coughing up food and hairballs, but otherwise seems healthy enough.

This weekend has been well into the 90s in Fahrenheit. Despite this, our next door neighbor STILL keeps her dog outside all night, and during the day. Sometimes, I think irresponsible pet owners should be given a taste of their own medicine and be subject to the same horrible conditions they put their pets through, and see how THEY like it! Makes me sick!

T-Minus 34 days to go!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I spent a couple hours in a 90 degree laundry mat getting dog puke stains out of our very nice and expensive bed comforter. The comforter has been back on our bed less than five hours aaaaaand one of our dogs jumps up and pukes on it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I spent a couple hours in a 90 degree laundry mat getting dog puke stains out of our very nice and expensive bed comforter. The comforter has been back on our bed less than five hours aaaaaand one of our dogs jumps up and pukes on it.
Ya washed it to soon. You were tempting fate. :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This is a prime example of why we pet owners can't have nice things! ;)

I relate, as the Mrs and I will very soon be in a living situation, in which we'll no longer have our own Washer/Dryer setup, and a cat that's increasingly prone to puking in her middle age. Not looking forward to having to get it off of carpeting, either! Just a couple of life's trade-offs for what we expect will be an overall better living situation.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is a prime example of why we pet owners can't have nice things!

But we do! We have the pets themselves! :D

They are worth the occasional "accident." ;)

banana169.gif

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
How about a pet you don’t want? My wife’s 80 year old mother lost her cat and against all advice (except from a cousin who we are going to kill!) adopted another one. Her first report when we asked her how he was, was to say “he is a bit bitey”

This cat was allowed free reign to jump on counter tops, get as fat as possible (he weighs 25 lbs!) and bite. He also is very vocal and woke her up at 5:00 a.m. every morning. She often had bloody bite marks on her hands. Despite all this she loved the cat and basically devoted her life to him.

After 3 years she died and we were bequeathed Mr. bitey. We tried every rational kind thing we could think of to get rid of him. We usually love cats, but are both retired and want to travel. No one wanted him because of his reputation and our local SPCA told us that the chances of having a 6 year old cat adopted were minimal. My wife’s brother suggested we just leave the front door open! For her mothers sake we kept him.

My job is now to train him. I am not abusive, but suffice it to say he has a different life and there is no more jumping on counters or tables and certainly no more biting! He is coming along, but my wife still does not trust him especially when his eyes get all black and he tries to grab your hand to bite it.

Does anyone want a cat?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
How about a pet you don’t want? My wife’s 80 year old mother lost her cat and against all advice (except from a cousin who we are going to kill!) adopted another one. Her first report when we asked her how he was, was to say “he is a bit bitey”

This cat was allowed free reign to jump on counter tops, get as fat as possible (he weighs 25 lbs!) and bite. He also is very vocal and woke her up at 5:00 a.m. every morning. She often had bloody bite marks on her hands. Despite all this she loved the cat and basically devoted her life to him.

After 3 years she died and we were bequeathed Mr. bitey. We tried every rational kind thing we could think of to get rid of him. We usually love cats, but are both retired and want to travel. No one wanted him because of his reputation and our local SPCA told us that the chances of having a 6 year old cat adopted were minimal. My wife’s brother suggested we just leave the front door open! For her mothers sake we kept him.

My job is now to train him. I am not abusive, but suffice it to say he has a different life and there is no more jumping on counters or tables and certainly no more biting! He is coming along, but my wife still does not trust him especially when his eyes get all black and he tries to grab your hand to bite it.

Does anyone want a cat?
A bit of citrus spray on countertops is supposed to be a repellent for cats. Ours eventually got used to it, though. :blink:

But we do! We have the pets themselves! :D

They are worth the occasional "accident." ;)
I meant nice things (not a word I use for pets, anyway!) other than our pets, but fair point, Terry's unfortunate situation, notwithstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks