What's new

What annoys you? (2 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
By this ^ measure, I was previously drinking a "pot" of coffee every day. (A full pot approximately fills up 4 or 5 servings using my current coffee cup).

Both my father and I drink coffee every morning; I don't know how much he gets besides my 3.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In TV crime procedurals, the scene where a team of investigators or officers are standing in a group, delivering a case briefing, and each character delivers a single sentence of information about the investigation while the camera circles around the group.

It's used all the time on shows like Criminal Minds and S.W.A.T. I find it very annoying. There's no reason to deliver information in this piecemeal, staccato rotation.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In TV crime procedurals, the scene where a team of investigators or officers are standing in a group, delivering a case briefing, and each character delivers a single sentence of information about the investigation while the camera circles around the group.

It's used all the time on shows like Criminal Minds and S.W.A.T. I find it very annoying. There's no reason to deliver information in this piecemeal, staccato rotation.

IIRC, it wasn't always like that-- I think that on O-R Jack Lord Five-O, not all of his men were in his office all the time on any one case; sometimes all three would be there, sometimes two, and sometimes even only one (that's just what I recall from seeing O-R Five-O on DVD).

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

When I used to watch NCIS (stopped watching after Michael Weatherly left the show in 2016), that always bothered me a little but not as much as when Abby and McGee would type on the same keyboard at the same time to solve a problem faster or the fact that everyone typed everything (even when displaying different images and data on the big screen plasma tv in their office) and no one ever used a mouse on their computer.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
When I used to watch NCIS (stopped watching after Michael Weatherly left the show in 2016), that always bothered me a little but not as much as when Abby and McGee would type on the same keyboard at the same time to solve a problem faster or the fact that everyone typed everything (even when displaying different images and data on the big screen plasma tv in their office) and no one ever used a mouse on their computer.

(More generally).

This type of "computer dumb" seems to be standard fare for over two decades on television and movies. Not many tv/movie script writers appear to be literate about technical computer stuff related to hacking.

It seems to be rare to find writers who get the technical stuff right.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Despite a supposed high probability of Rain and Thunderstorms this weekend, so far we've only received a bit of Rain yesterday, and nothing of the latter.

How does this qualify as an annoyance you ask? We have some necessary running around to do on Tuesday, and I've noticed time and again that when expected miserable weather fails to materialize on the day/s originally predicted, it'll end up occurring a day or two later, instead. Unfortunately, none of the bus stops that we use around our place have bus shelters as city transit arbitrarily decided to remove them some years ago. On top of that, our nearest bus stop was moved an extra 20 - 30 yards down the street, a big difference when trying to catch a bus in a hurry.

Ah well.

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
What made the transit department decide to remove the shelters?
I can't say with 100% certainty, but the shelter that we used kept getting vandalized, and the word was that city transit got tired of having to pay for its repair. Yet, the shelter for a much less used bus stop just down the street remained for years afterward, before it was finally removed, as well.

Just to provide an idea of our city transit's logic system; after the digital clock at the downtown terminal kept breaking down, they gave up on repairing it, and the clock was eventually removed, instead. :rolleyes:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I can't say with 100% certainty, but the shelter that we used kept getting vandalized, and the word was that city transit got tired of having to pay for its repair. Yet, the shelter for a much less used bus stop just down the street remained for years afterward, before it was finally removed, as well.

With no shelters, then, where are you going to wait for the buses in your area?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
With no shelters, then, where are you going to wait for the buses in your area?
The stops are still there. It just really sucks having to wait in the rain and/or snow without the shelters in place. For instance, I have some errands to run downtown that have to wait until tomorrow, and it's an 80% probability of rain for that day. Hopefully, I can time it so as to not have to wait too long at the bus stop, but our local transit isn't known for being reliably on time even in the best of weather conditions, and buses are much less frequent in our area since North Bay city transit messed with the schedules a few years back. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
How about the big "R" stories. I'm so sick and tired hearing about her. She has massively screwed up her life and many others. I see her name in a headline, I just pass right by, I refuse to read anymore on the subject.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's been hot this week. Would have set up our Air Conditioner upstairs, except the half window size screens were replaced with full size ones, which are a real bugger to remove if not familiar with them. Might have to get somebody else to do it. A bit of a pain, especially considering we have an outside chance of moving down south in two months instead of three, which I hopefully haven't already blown by giving our son a wrong phone number.* :D

Meanwhile, we've been keeping the downstairs cold, so that the upstairs isn't totally like an oven, though not very successfully, at the moment. At least, it's supposed to be cooler for the next few days.

EDIT: Definitely NOT blown! Will post more in the "What Pleases You" thread! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks