What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is probably the british version of the tabloids. The american equivalent is watching every fart, burp, popping out another brat, etc ... from movie stars, rockstars, the kardashians, etc ....
Probably, as it's mostly the tabloid-y type of press and entertainment fluff shows that put that stuff on endless repeat, though it gets plenty of mentions in the mainstream news, too.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
STOP! You are speaking high treason sir!! Who do you think is still on our money?:eek:

In the last two episodes of "The Royals", the king actually dissolved parliament and made himself absolute ruler of the uk in the modern day, via a legal loophole. :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This is probably the british version of the tabloids. The american equivalent is watching every fart, burp, popping out another brat, etc ... from movie stars, rockstars, the kardashians, etc ....
OMG, not the kardashians. instantly skip anything about one of them, totally phony "celebrities". Same thing with Kanye, guy's a no talent arrogant jerk.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Stan: if you avoid all reports about Megan Markle and Kanye West and the Kardashians...I'm not sure what news options you have left! :D
I guess I'm doing something right... while I've heard of "the Kardashians," I know little about them - mainly that they're famous for no good reason and appear to have little to no morals/values (doesn't that put them in the same category as many other "celebrities"?) - but I've never heard of "Megan Markle" or "Kanye West."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't stand either rap or hip-hop (including the music of the roadway show Hamilton--on one of my favorite historical topics, the founding fathers).

So when I heard Kendrick Lamar won a Pulitzer award for his work on his album "Damn," I decided to take a listen to a couple of tracks (specifically DNA and Humble).

I was horrified. Just sayin'.

And I "get" that people like some music and don't like others. That's fine. And methinks there was some political reasons (which we WON'T discuss here) seeping into the Pulitzer selection process. That's fine too. But the music? For me, not fine.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only rap I ever got into was old stuff from the 80s like Run DMC, NWA, etc ... I sorta lost interest in newer released music altogether sometime in the early 1990s (whether rap, rock, dance, pop, etc ...).

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I can't stand either rap or hip-hop (including the music of the roadway show Hamilton--on one of my favorite historical topics, the founding fathers).

So when I heard Kendrick Lamar won a Pulitzer award for his work on his album "Damn," I decided to take a listen to a couple of tracks (specifically DNA and Humble).

Mike. Don't get me wrong. I respect your opinion but I will add the following. If you're over 30 it's no wonder Kendrick Lamar doesn't appeal to you but "Hip Hop" originated decades earlier. I'm not a general fan of Kendrick either although this track is worth a listen.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ken...rome..69i57.6510j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I was horrified. Just sayin'.
After reading this I took the time to watch the relevant videos. I can understand your reaction to them but to dismiss an entire genre [while certainly your prerogative] may not be wise. There was a time when Rap/Hip Hop was not all braggadocio and violence but, eventually, times changed and nothing else would sell. At the end of the day the music industry is still a business and so rap artists who wanted mainstream success were forced to "evolve."

Nowadays, independent artists [of all genres] who are wealthy enough to do so can release independent material powered by the Internet as opposed to Studios but these will never reach your ears unless you search for them.
As with film, thankfully, we still have our archives. When I was young I didn't understand or appreciate "rock." It just wasn't what I had been exposed to or could relate to at the time. As I write this I'm listening to The Eagles Greatest Hits, I'm a Grateful Dead fan and I've seen Bon Jovi live. I'm also a huge fan of RUN DMC, Whodino, Public Enemy, NWA and many other Hip Hop artists. In my opinion, the problem is not so much the artists but the market that drives what we eventually hear. I wish we could have a listening session, Mike. I doubt you're aware of the true depth of Rap and Hip Hop.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Before I was listening to Run DMC, I was briefly into stuff like "breakdancing". I don't know if the latter would be considered hip-hop or "proto" rap nowadays. Stuff like Herbie Hancock's "Future Shock".

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Before I was listening to Run DMC, I was briefly into stuff like "breakdancing". I don't know if the latter would be considered hip-hop or "proto" rap nowadays. Stuff like Herbie Hancock's "Future Shock".

It would as Hip Hop was and remains a culture not just a music genre.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another weird rap combo/crossover I remember listening to in those days, was "I'm The Man" by the 80s metal band Anthrax.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I also have always hated rap and hip hop. I buy all broadway original cast CDs. I avoided buying Hamilton until I had all the others for that season, knowing it would just be a chore to listen to. Imagine my surprise when I loved it, and basically could not stop listening to it.

If ever there was a genre that fit hip hop like a glove it is broadway. It’s hard to conceive of a style that proved more adaptable to story telling.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It would as Hip Hop was and remains a culture not just a music genre.

I guess I wasn't really into hip-hop much.

Before that time when I was even younger, I first listened to stuff like the Bee Gees (mostly Saturday Night Fever soundtrack). One of my older relatives (who was a "metalhead") gave me several Thin Lizzy records, which I also listened to a lot at the time. (Though at the time, I didn't know the latter largely didn't really exist anymore by then).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike. Don't get me wrong. I respect your opinion but I will add the following. If you're over 30 it's no wonder Kendrick Lamar doesn't appeal to you but "Hip Hop" originated decades earlier.

Not 100% sure what age's got to do with it, John (full disclosure: I'm 59). There's a fair amount of contemporary music I like. I figure it to probably be more of a cultural thing, frankly. And I suppose there's nothing wrong with that either. I just don't get it--at all.

After reading this I took the time to watch the relevant videos. I can understand your reaction to them but to dismiss an entire genre [while certainly your prerogative] may not be wise.

It wasn't the visuals which bothered me so much. I had printed up the lyrics to the two songs and then followed along while listening. I was really focused on lyric content (because of the Pulitzer award).

I wish we could have a listening session, Mike. I doubt you're aware of the true depth of Rap and Hip Hop.

As I have longed for someone who could explain it all to me, that would be pretty cool. Because as of right now, this falls into the "annoyance" file for me, not the "depth" file.

I'll let you know when I get a chance to listen to Fragile. But I am doubtful... ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon and Hip Hop, you've got to be kidding me.:laugh: I would say its age and cultural. I'm older than Mike and I listen to some Hip Hop today, but that goes back to my days of early rap back in the late 70's and early 80's when I wore a younger man's cloths. How you like that Billy Joel quote?:D

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm older than Mike and I listen to some Hip Hop today, but that goes back to my days of early rap back in the late 70's and early 80's when I wore a younger man's cloths.

The earliest instance of "rap" style I probably heard was Rapture by Blondie. Though I didn't know what it was at the time.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Not knowing any better at the time, I thought it was Debbie Harry singing a Rick James style song really drunk. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks