What's new

What annoys you? (3 Viewers)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I really wish we would change. i remember about 40 years ago we tried, but like you said, to many old dinosaurs.

Why can't we just join the rest of the world :cool:
Partly because a good case hasn't been made why people would be better off in their daily lives if they switched. For example, exactly how would people be better off if the sugar they buy at the store says "2.xx kilos" instead of 5lbs? Exactly how would they be better off putting x pascals of pressure in their tires instead of psi? Exactly how would referring to the distances on a baseball diamond in meters instead of feet and inches make the game better? Exactly how would saying it's 21 C instead of 70 F outside make the weather nicer? Saying "you gotta think like the rest of the world" is no answer.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My latest anoyance. You are in a long line of traffic, bumper to bumper, when you can see someone on your right trying to come out of a parking lot. You stop, smile and let him in. He zooms in front of you but doesn’t give you the thank you wave! He doesn’t even acknowledge what you did for him or even your existence.

This happens a lot when we go to the States. Am I just too Canadian. (This would make a good Seinfeld episode).

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I am beginning to find it rather scary. No metric system, no chip credit cards, let’s use coal, no climate change ...

1. But we do have chip credit cards. MC and Visa pretty much insist on it for newly issued cards. The technology to read them is lagging but that should be worked out within the next year or so.
  2. Sorry but I don't see a good case scenario for the metric system. If I'm missing something please enlighten me.
  3. That topic might fall under Politics [forbidden] so I'll remain silent.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My latest anoyance. You are in a long line of traffic, bumper to bumper, when you can see someone on your right trying to come out of a parking lot. You stop, smile and let him in. He zooms in front of you but doesn’t give you the thank you wave! He doesn’t even acknowledge what you did for him or even your existence.

This happens a lot when we go to the States. Am I just too Canadian. (This would make a good Seinfeld episode).

Oh I hate that too... This actually was featured on a Seinfeld episode!!! When I read your comment my mind immediately went there and then you said it. Wow!!!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/7228cfdb-b19d-4090-bab1-ade298fc4faf

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I am beginning to find it rather scary. No metric system, no chip credit cards, let’s use coal, no climate change ...
I actually find it much scarier that you're scared of the fact that some people disagree with you than any of the things you mentioned. Unfortunately, thinking for one's self seems to be taking on negative connotations in today's culture. I find that annoying. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just deleted a post which references a country and its political leader without actually naming both, but, are easily identified. We're not going there so please, stay away from posting such implied references.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I actually find it much scarier that you're scared of the fact that some people disagree with you than any of the things you mentioned. Unfortunately, thinking for one's self seems to be taking on negative connotations in today's culture. I find that annoying. :)

I had no intention of annoying you at all. Suffice it to say that this is a misunderstanding and leave it at that.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
That scenario was in a car commercial that played for months and months at my local movie theater. After a while, I thought I was going to lose my mind when it came on.
And every commercial break throughout the Cleveland Indians baseball season. And it annoyed me that the guy just goes through the light at the end.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Family of 3-year-old with cancer begged Spirit to hold flight. It left without them.

Yes, I'm a horrible cynic. But come on folks, this makes national news? People know when they're flying you show up early, go through screening, etc. Leave your house an hour earlier and show up on time. Why should 100 people have to wait because you're late? :cool:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Family of 3-year-old with cancer begged Spirit to hold flight. It left without them.

Yes, I'm a horrible cynic. But come on folks, this makes national news? People know when they're flying you show up early, go through screening, etc. Leave your house an hour earlier and show up on time. Why should 100 people have to wait because you're late? :cool:
Normally, I'd agree with you, but the family's lateness was caused by the boarding gate for their flight having been changed to one at another end of the airport. This happened to my sister in law and I once (After she had booked the flight only 3 days prior, at that!) during a Chicago - Bogota flight. To make matters worse, it was for our connecting flight in Atlanta, which only gave us less than an hour layover to start with. We had to hurry our arses and take the airport commuter train to a whole other terminal. We made it with 10 minutes to spare, but it was a rather harrowing experience, to say the least!

In short, I feel for the family in question, especially as it involved their 3 year old needing crucial cancer related medical treatment, and being late for the flight was NOT their fault, but that of the airline, who I feel should have been more flexible in this particular instance. Just my opinion.

Whether or not their story was newsworthy may be a YMMV situation:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article205181519.html

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I used to have a Nissan Maxima whose speedometer could be switched between MPH and KPH. I used to enjoy freaking out my passengers by driving at 70 MPH with the speedometer in KMH mode making them believe we were doing 100 MPH.

That's Entertainment!
LOL!!! - I did the same thing years ago. Most modern cars should have this function now as they may be sold in different parts of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation111
    Recent bookmarks