What's new

What annoys you? (3 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
If they hadn't been rude enough to not take our polite refusals, there would have been no need for me to be rude.

I take it then that rudeness is only a last resort if someone won't get the message that you do not want what they're selling or shilling (such as Jehovah's Witnesses, et al).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I take it then that rudeness is only a last resort if someone won't get the message that you do not want what they're selling or shilling (such as Jehovah's Witnesses, et al).
Yep. I try to have some sympathy that a person is doing their job or talking about something that they really believe in but at a certain point, it's fair for me to want them to take no for an answer.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm never rude, just tell them that I'm Catholic and we're done. Always works.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Being conversationally held hostage at the door, after the visit ends and you've already said your goodbyes.:angry:
Somewhat related: When a group sitting next to you at a restaurant stands up to leave, and seemingly says their goodbyes, but then continues to socialize for 15-20 minutes while standing, rather than leaving or taking the conversation outside. Usually blocking the aisle, and with their butts right at the level of our table. And if there are kids as part of the group, they're usually running all around the restaurant during this time.

If you're not done socializing, just stay seated until you are done.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Best way to deal with the problem. Caller ID and a peephole in the door, unless you know who it is, ignore. My dog will bark, but they don't know if I'm inside. :)
Unless they speak Dog.

Dog: Bark, bark, bark, woof, bark, woof, bark.
Translation: Stan is home, don't go away, I know he'd love to talk to you. Just be patient, don't leave yet.

You just know if dogs could speak, being honest to a fault they'd constantly rat you out. :D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Worked for "Cingular" years ago, some low level company tied to AT&T. Two months of training, but get put on the "floor" to upsell customers. Major rip-off. I quit after a few weeks.

They're still here, might actually try and get hired again. Go through the training, take home a few paychecks and walk away. Take the money from them, not rip-off regular people. It was actually done through "West, Inc.". Horrible company. The turnover rate was amazing, I don't know how they stay in business.
I thought Cingular ceased to exist around 2007 when they merged with AT&T. For what it's worth, Cingular was, hands down, the best cell phone service I ever had.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I thought Cingular ceased to exist around 2007 when they merged with AT&T. For what it's worth, Cingular was, hands down, the best cell phone service I ever had.
That sounds about right. I went to work for a software company at a much higher pay-rate after I left that horrid company.

If they had good service, you were one of the lucky ones. With employees trying to sell services and then answering customer service phone calls, it was literally endless. They had call centers all over the country, thousands of employees answering maybe 50 calls an hour from customers with problems. It was just a quick job between jobs, but I'll never do it again.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Best way to deal with the problem. Caller ID and a peephole in the door, unless you know who it is, ignore. My dog will bark, but they don't know if I'm inside. :)

I don't even care anymore whether they see me or not. I just walk by the front window, and continue walking somewhere else in the house all in plain sight.

Unless they're a cop with a "no-knock" search warrant, they'll be waiting at the front door for a very long time.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
With employees trying to sell services and then answering customer service phone calls, it was literally endless. They had call centers all over the country, thousands of employees answering maybe 50 calls an hour from customers with problems. It was just a quick job between jobs, but I'll never do it again.

When I was really young, I was fired from various telemarketing/call support type jobs when I was hardly able to sell anything and/or took too long to solve a caller's problems.

That's when I knew I was largely awful at sales.

In spite of that I later took on various sales jobs at various retailers (when I was in college), just to find out I was still awful at sales. Without mentioning any "names", for example I was unable to lie through my teeth about how lousy a particular electronic device was.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I was eventually fired for convincing too many customers into NOT buying a particular lousy electronic device.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't even care anymore whether they see me or not. I just walk by the front window, and continue walking somewhere else in the house all in plain sight.

I make it a point that they see me walking by.

Back in the day when I was really young doing door-to-door sales, it would make my blood boil whenever somebody just walked by and not answer the door. The teeth grinding decision was whether to wait another minute or two, or just go to the next house. (ie. This "waiting" time period felt like an eternity).

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Even more grating during the time when I was a really young door-to-door salesman, was coming across people who don't respond to anything I said who are directly in front of me. It was as if I was completely "invisible" to them.

As I got older, I turned the tables and used this same tactic whenever a door-to-door salesmen came across my path as I was walking home (where I didn't want to walk around the block to avoid them).

This "invisible" tactic is usually the easiest way to deal with such door-to-door sales types, since they usually won't respond in a nasty manner. (ie. Very difficult to get a sale after a confrontation).

As long as there's still a potential sale, the gloves usually won't come off.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
As long as there's still a potential sale, the gloves usually won't come off.

When somebody became nasty with me, that is almost always a definitive sign that there is no potential sale anymore. Easy decision to just move on to the next house.

If a person gave me the "invisible treatment", a potential sale might still be there. Though the longer the "invisible treatment" occurred, the less likely there was a potential sale.

The aggravating part of the "invisible" treatment, is that there is no way of knowing whether a potential sale is completely dead or not. It was sorta like being strung along to the very end.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
When online trivia games occasionally get it wrong with the answers.

Just a moment ago, I played a Daily Trivia game in which two of the choices for what course of meal in which Chicken Kiev is served, two of the choices were "Main Course" and "Entree."

Trouble is, they're both the same bloody thing! I even double checked the meaning of Entree online, and it does state "the main course of a meal!" Of course, my "Entree" selection (Hello! That's the terminology used on Hell's Kitchen, at least 95% of the time!) was inevitably marked as incorrect! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks