What's new

What annoys you? (3 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
... Dandelions. I hate them... Die, die, die you horrid dandelions.
Roundup. Just be very direct in your approach or you'll have horrid dead spots all over the yard. My wife used it in a larger sprayer rather nondiscriminatory last year to kill a bunch of pear tree sprouts. There are still huge 12" and larger circles of dead grass where she sprayed. I'd been using a small bottle with a very directed spray and you can't tell where I killed 'em off. Of course I hate yard work, especially mowing, and would just spray and kill the whole yard but you have to have something holding the topsoil in place.
I don't think you can ever get rid of mosquitoes. I had these awful shrubs my grandparents had planted...
Marigolds. Put 'em in pots and distribute around your attraction areas. After trying several solutions she'd gotten from Pinterest (am I the only one who thinks there are some truly hair-brained ideas there?) my wife finally listened and put a few around the porch. Problem solved. Of course I don't like the smell either but I'd rather have them than mosquitoes getting sucked into the house every time the door is opened. I've read that basil plants work better, and can also be grown in pots, but haven't yet tried it. Side benefit - fresh basil for cooking.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Roundup. Just be very direct in your approach or you'll have horrid dead spots all over the yard. My wife used it in a larger sprayer rather nondiscriminatory last year to kill a bunch of pear tree sprouts. There are still huge 12" and larger circles of dead grass where she sprayed. I'd been using a small bottle with a very directed spray and you can't tell where I killed 'em off. Of course I hate yard work, especially mowing, and would just spray and kill the whole yard but you have to have something holding the topsoil in place.

I've used Round-Up, but only on the sidewalk or garden areas, never on the lawn since it kills everything. I stick with other poisons for the yard that kill the weeds but let the grass live.

Accidentally walked through a garden area I had sprayed then walked on my lawn. It stuck to my shoes and I had several footprints in my lawn where the grass died. Pretty potent stuff.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Look on a map sometime. Almost all Canadians live within 200 miles of your northern border, and most areas except for the territories and the prairies have climate similar to Michigan. I remember being amazed for instance by how much more snow Chicago had when I went there to visit my sister one Christmas.

The national border is irrelevant here. I'd say the same thing if he lived in Minnesota or North Dakota! :P

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
A big annoyance for me-- that FilmAF (Film Aficionado) does not recognize certain titles. I was desiring to add the CBS DVD/VEI release of Petrocelli (which I'm almost 70% through, BTW) to my collection at that site (the television series, both single seasonal releases and full series, are listed under "television-discs"), and for some mysterious reason, FilmAF does not recognize Petrocelli. I don't know why that is!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
When the gym removes your favorite piece of cardio equipment, that you've used for years and which was working just fine, and you have to disrupt your routine to learn how to use an entirely new machine.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Let's add the newer "chip" readers to the list of annoying things.

Went to Safeway earlier today. "Chip" on my card wouldn't work. The mag stripe wouldn't work, said to use the chip instead. Clerk couldn't get it to work, manager couldn't fix it. The guy behind me had experienced it before and said they needed to suspend the purchase and start over. Finally a techie person was called and just like the guy behind me said, she entered all the secret codes and suspended the transaction. Tried again and it was fine.

Took about 15 minutes, at least ten customers were lined up behind me before they called another clerk. I usually shop at another store, never a problem with the chip, just not in the mood to drive five miles, this store is much closer, but once again, added another notch to the list of why I don't like shopping there.

I think this is the final nail in the coffin.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Chip readers are anti-annoying. I never have to insert twice (unlike swiping), and they provide better security (especially once more of them implement PINs). One anecdote of a machine problem doesn't cancel that.

Here's a REAL credit card annoyance: Clicking a button that says "Receive a response in seconds!" and the response turns out to be "We'll be in touch in 7-10 business days." WTF?!?!?!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We have had these in Canada for a number of years and always wondered why the US did not follow suit and still had people signing with electronic pens.
Most places here have now moved on to a tap system. Instead of inserting the chip end of the card you simply tap the reader with the end of the card and your purchase goes through. This is only used for small purchases.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The story I heard is that in the past, most credit card fraud occurred outside the US, so other countries switched to the chip-and-PIN method out of necessity. It's slowly making its way to the US in the wake of various and sundry breaches of large retailers' card-reading systems.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We have had these in Canada for a number of years and always wondered why the US did not follow suit and still had people signing with electronic pens.
Most places here have now moved on to a tap system. Instead of inserting the chip end of the card you simply tap the reader with the end of the card and your purchase goes through. This is only used for small purchases.
When it comes to entering the 21st century, most advanced countries are ahead of the US. There is very little forward thinking in US business. Gotta get the stock price up .25% for next week, ya know.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The story I heard is that in the past, most credit card fraud occurred outside the US, so other countries switched to the chip-and-PIN method out of necessity. It's slowly making its way to the US in the wake of various and sundry breaches of large retailers' card-reading systems.
What is the extra security a chip provides? Just like the mag-stripe, you still have to enter a PIN, just seems like a different format. But if somebody has your card, somehow gets your PIN, your account still gets emptied. What am I missing?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
You do not put in a pin with the magnetic strip, just sign and very few clerks are handwriting experts. Also that strip often loses its magnetism which makes the card garbage.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
You do not put in a pin with the magnetic strip, just sign and very few clerks are handwriting experts. Also that strip often loses its magnetism which makes the card garbage.

I have to enter a PIN with my chip debit card. Stick the card into the reader, enter the PIN and remove the card.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
With my old magnetic strip debit card, I always entered a PIN (unless the merchant processed it as a credit card).

And with my current chip debit card, I also enter a PIN (unless the merchant processed it as a credit card).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Mean people

My niece(11 years old)took my dog for a walk around the block. She saw a man walking his dog, my dog broke free from her to greet the man and his dog-she said Baxter's tail was wagging until the man started yelling at them- he lit into my niece "you idiot, if you can't control your dog you shouldn't walk him, stupid kid...blah blah"
She got my dogs leash and came back.

She was crying for about an hour after she returned. She was really shook up. I felt terrible about the whole thing.

My dog is about the most gentle Golden Retriever on the planet, he just loves to greet everyone. My niece said the other dog was happy too, just the guy walking him was a complete spaz.

So yes, a 40 something guy yelling at an 11 year old girl for a simple accident. That is sad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks