What's new

What and how to hook up my new HT system (1 Viewer)

Tray

Stunt Coordinator
I will be receiving my new HT "stuff" on Friday. I need to buy the cables I will need to hook everything up.
I will have the following:

HK AVR 520 receiver
Panasonic CP72 DVD
Echostar (Dish500) 4700 Sat receiver
Toshiba CN36x81 TV

I have 5 JBL speakers and a Dahlquist sub. I plan on using 12 guage wire for the surrounds. What will I need for the sub, mains and center speakers?
The TV has the following inputs:
2 S-Video Inputs
Variable Audio Outputs
2 Rear A/V Inputs
Center Channel Audio Input
Dual RF Inputs
2 New Colorstream® HD Video Inputs
Front Panel A/V Inputs

The Sat receiver has componet in/out and a digital out.

I need to know how to hook these components together.
I will be purchasing my cables locally. Probably AR brand at Best Buy or something similar from Radio shack.

Any and all info appreciated!

Thanks,
Tray

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
For the sub, you'll need a single lenght of good quality cable w/ male rca connectors on both ends. This is the same as a composite video cable. Some companies sell "subwoofer cables", but the only difference is the name on box.

For the mains and center, use the same 12awg wire you use for the surrounds.

Hook the component video out from the DVD to one of the component inputs on the tv (Toshiba calls component video "Colorstream", but it is what it is). Hook the DVD to the receiver via optical or digital coaxial. Both offer the same quality. Digital Coaxial is cheaper. Again, just like for the subwoofer,this is a single male/male RCA cable.

Hook the component output from the sat receiver to the other component input on the tv. Hook the sat to the receiver via optical cable.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Tray,
Stephen knows his wires, and for an economical subwoofer cable, here's a system I use:
RadioShack 75ohm RG-6 @25ft $7 with premade F-terminals.
Two F-to-RCA adapters like THIS
This RG-6 comes in standard black. For decor purposes, I went to my local custom stereo store, where they also have a DirectTV satellite sideline, and purchased a length of IVORY/WHITE RG-6 cut to my exact run distance and terminated with F-terminals. (Hey, they have the expensive crimper, I dont.) Added the adapters. Total price $12.
RadioShack MegaFlex 12 gauge is good and sturdy, too. There also is a white/silver model Cat. 910-4283 ModelMFF12GA for .49 foot.
bill

Tray

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info! I'll head to radio shack this morning to pick up the cables to attach the digital optical from the DVD and the satellite.
I have all of the speakers installed with 12 guage wire.

I want to use the receiver as a video switch for now. I think it is easier and I already have a ton of stuff to learn on my equipment. In order to do this I assume I need a composite and a component connection to the TV from the receiver. Correct?

Thanks!

Tray

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks