What's new

What ANCHOR BAY title should I review? (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Randy,
Also, with all due respect, read what Ron asked. He received a bunch of titles that he knows nothing at all about and was wondering which couple he should review.
I do understand your point about the fact that most of these movies are not recent releases so that other reviews already are out there. But the way that Ron stated his message -
product this membership
would be interested in reading about.
and, especially since a number of members have already mentioned that they haven't heard of some of these titles, I took this to mean which titles should he publicize. If this were purely a "first review on the block" scenario then, of course, your points are well taken. However the fact that Anchor Bay chose to send him the lot indicates to me that they want some feedback. (Hey Ron, if you don't want the titles give them to me. I'll find a home for them!)
:laugh:
Ron obviously doesn't have the time to review all the goodies in the box and all I'm trying to do is to point him to what I consider to be the pick of the litter. Naturally, that's my opinion only (although I think there are a lot of potential Fitzcarraldo fans out there.)
Another thing that prompts me to suggest this title to Ron is the fact that he liked Moulin Rouge a lot. Quirky movies involving musical themes, even in some convoluted way, have a way of grabbing an audience and I'm honestly curious to see what Ron's take is on Fitzcarraldo.
O.K.?

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
Any two of these three please:
Nosferatu
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Fitzcarraldo

I saw Nosferatu in a theater a long time ago and thought it was weird, interestingly weird, and would love to see it again. Haven't seen the other two yet.

Of the remaining movies, I have seen Delirium only, but it was so gross I didn't see the entire movie.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, let's be clear here.
Ron, is Nosferatu the original 1922 silent version with Max Shrek, or is it the Klaus Kinski remake from 1979, which is released in a two-disc set this Tuesday (7/9)?
I am certain it is the latter, because Anchor Bay hasn't to my knowledge put out a version of the former. Here's the box:

This would be a timely review, in that case.
The Aguirre DVD is from Oct. 2000, but again, lots of HTFers talk about this film, so I'd love to get your impressions of the DVD...see what I'm missing and all.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Aguirre is a great film, but old news as far as DVDs go. I'd love to hear about Mad Monster Party.

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
Frankly I am a bit alarmed that a substantial number of those who have posted in this thread (including Ron himself!) seem to be unaware of some of Werner Herzog's greatest achievements.

Although it is true that Herzog's finest films were made between 1971 and 1982 (which may explain the fact that most of you are unfamiliar with his work), I still think it is a shame that while many European film-buffs (like myself) manage to be knowledgeable about both mainstream Hollywood productions and World Cinema in general, many American viewers still feel that their loyalty to their home product comes first and won't be bothered to give a foreign-language film (even one as great as AGUIRRE, WRATH OF GOD or FITZCARRALDO) a chance.

I don't want to start any controversies here, but it is inconceivable for me that while many so-called "film buffs" may have heard of Klaus Kinski, they have not yet watched any of his best (and most popular) films! After all, as has already been said, these Anchor Bay DVDs have been around for quite a while, so I don't know what else to attribute the fact that many of you have not bought any of these discs, other than indifference and lack of information.

As for me, the only reason why I have yet to pick up most of the Werner Herzog DVDs, is because I was waiting for this 6-Disc Box Set to be released. I immediately ordered a copy the minute it became available for pre-order. Actually, I already have AGUIRRE, FITZCARRALDO and THE ENIGMA OF KASPAR HAUSER on PAL VHS, and I recently acquired Anchor Bay's 2-Disc Region 2 edition of NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE. Besides, I have watched many another Herzog movie: SIGNS OF LIFE, EVEN DWARFS STARTED SMALL, LAND OF SILENCE AND DARKNESS, STROZSEK, WHERE THE GREEN ANTS DREAM and COBRA VERDE. I am also looking forward to purchasing EVEN DWARFS STARTED SMALL, FATA MORGANA/LESSONS OF DARKNESS [2-Disc Set], THE ENIGMA OF KASPAR HAUSER, HEARTS OF GLASS and STROSZEK on DVD.

To go back to Ron's list, I suggest that he review AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD and FITZCARRALDO. Besides featuring two of Kinski's greatest performances as the megalomaniacal title characters, Popol Vuh's mesmerizing scores add immeasureably to Herzog's stunning visuals. Personally, AGUIRRE is my favorite among Herzog's films, but there is really little to chose between the two. On the other hand, NOSFERATU is a hypnotic interpretation of Murnau's 1922 original with Kinski essaying a strangely moving portrayal of the melancholic Undead Count. COBRA VERDE is lesser Herzog perhaps, but still a highly interesting piece of work. Eventually, when one learns the incredible circumstances under which the Herzog/Kinski collaborations were filmed, the greatness of Herzog's achievement becomes all the more remarkable.

I hope that those who have posted in this thread have not taken offence to some of my earlier comments. My intention was merely to drive home the point that in not purchasing the classic World Cinema titles (especially when released in such rewarding Special Editions) on DVD, production companies may feel discouraged to continue the trend and in this way a great many more titles which are still not available on DVD will lie by the wayside to make way for more anodyne Hollywood blockbusters of which so many Home Video owners seem fond of.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

When it comes to film, my tastes have always
remained mainstream. It is very rare that I
watch anything obscure.

It's my ignorance that's at fault, really.

I wanted to start reviewing Anchor Bay titles
for this forum, but never realized I would be
faced with having to review films I never heard
of before.

This is why I sought the help of the membership.

I really wanted to know what YOU wanted to see
a review on.

By the way, the NOSFERATU is the 1979 version.
I am a bit disappointed, as I always wanted to
see the original, but perhaps this is just as good.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
If it were me, I'd be reviewing Mad Monster Party and Nosferatu, cuz I'm a sucker for those kinds of flicks. Being reasonably ignorant of the broader world of cinema myself, I've never heard of any of those other films, so I can't say about any of them. If one of them looks supremely interesting, go for it.
Hey Ron, like the new picture, you don't look like my old Hockey coach anymore ;)

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

As everyone else says, NOSFERATU is the most newsworthy in terms of being a recent release. AGUIRRE and FITZCARRALDO are excellent films (an understatement, really) that are worth your attention, even if you don't have time for a full HTF review. (AGUIRRE is a full hour shorter, so that may decide it for you.)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
That would be My Best Fiend, not friend.
I was wondering how long it was going to take someone to point that out. :laugh:
Isn't Nosferatu the only one of the Herzogs that was getting a new trasfer? If so, I vote for that one. :)
Actually, I just checked Amazon and apparently this title is still non-anamorphic, so it probably isn't a new transfer after all. How disappointing. :frowning:
EDIT: Ron: whether you decide to review it or not, could you could let us know if the Nosferatu DVD is anamorphic?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Isn't Nosferatu the only one of the Herzogs that was getting a new trasfer? If so, I vote for that one.
Actually, I just checked Amazon and apparently this title is still non-anamorphic, so it probably isn't a new transfer after all. How disappointing.
AB has given Nosferatu 2 new anamorphic transfers (one for the German version, one for the English version). That has already been confirmed by AB and by at least one review that has come out so far.
DJ

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll recommend Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre: The Wrath of God as well. One of the joys of being a film buff is exploring new territory so why not give them a try? You never know, you might just like 'em! :)
As for the comments about many of the Herzog titles being "old news", I don't see why people are against reviewing older releases. :confused: If anything, these older and more obscure discs NEED to be reviewed. I occasionally try my hand at reviewing and I always pick titles that don't get a lot of coverage - I even posted a review of Herzog's Heart of Glass awhile back.
Roderick, it's nice to see someone else besides myself mention Where the Green Ants Dream. :emoji_thumbsup: Here's hoping for a DVD release sometime soon!
Edit: why not meet everyone halfway and review one Herzog title and one non-Herzog title? If you go that route, I'll just suggest Aguirre: The Wrath of God.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I say Nosferatu for selfish reasons (I already own the other Herzog titles). :)
Ron,
Definitely check out the original though. Its a Horror masterpiece. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
AB has given Nosferatu 2 new anamorphic transfers (one for the German version, one for the English version). That has already been confirmed by AB and by at least one review that has come out so far.
Sweet. Thanks.

I assume Amazon just erroneously used the same specs from the original disc.

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
Off topic... Ron, nice new picture (you could have had it for 3 months) but still... good look...:D
On topic -- I'd vote for Nosferatu, and Aguirre...
Jim

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
I wanted to start reviewing Anchor Bay titles
for this forum, but never realized I would be
faced with having to review films I never heard
of before
Alright I will be the first to say it....
Ron, if you need help reviewing Anchor Bay product please feel free to send them my way. ;) ;) ;)
-Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks