What amplifier to use with my Sony STR-VA555ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Belgarath, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Belgarath

Belgarath Agent

I have a Sony STR-VA555ES that drives my B&W DM 603S3 fronts, DM 601S3 Surrounds, LCR 60S3 center and ASW650 Sub.
    The receiver is a 6.1 channel receiver, but is capable of 7.1 if both Surround-rear channels are driven by a 2 channel amplifier connected to the Pre-out of the Sony.
    I have decided I want to upgrade my system to this 7.1 configuration by adding 2 more B&W DM 601S3's for left and right Surround-Back.
    I was hoping Sony made these 2 channel power-amplifiers (like the Rotel RB1070), but they don't, they only produce integrated amplifiers.
    Can anyone recommend a suitable 2 channel power-amplifier that would produce a similar sound-color (I don't know how to call it, sound-color is the best I can think off, ie. warm, high-pitched, etc) as my Sony STR-VA555ES.
    Any reply is appreciated,
    Belgarath

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Belgareth- Most high quality amps will fill the bill but let me suggest a pair of Nohr monoblocks @ $500/pr. I'm currently using two Aragon two channel amps to power a 777es in my living room with one Nohr mono for the center. I'm also using two Nohr mono's to power a DA50 es in a 3 channel bedroom system. My feeling is- I could easily swap out the Aragons and go with the Nohrs and never miss a beat. Check the Nohr website for info. To my mind ,high quality mil-spec amps for a song.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have a sony N110;it is a nice little versatile amp that goes for under $200.

4. Belgarath

Belgarath Agent

Thanks for the tip JackS, I went to my local hifi-shop, unfortunately he couldn not get Norh amplifiers, nor could any shop I went to here.

So I took home some power-amps and tried them out.
    I decided to get a Rotel RB-03 with 2 B&W DM 601S3, the B&W stands and some more B&W speaker cable CDC 8 V2 (I have used this cable for all my speakers in the system).

Belgarath

5. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Belgarah- I've used several different amps but never Rotel. There are many very happy Rotel users here and all would attest to the quality of these amps. I predict a very happy marrage with your 555ES. Merry Christmas and a very good sounding New year to you and all forum members. Jack

6. Belgarath

Belgarath Agent

Thanks Jacks,

A Very Merry Christmas And An Excellent Sounding New Year To All !!!!

Unfortunately when I bought my 555ES I couldn't find a 777, I guess they are no longer produced...

But as far as I know, the 777 is a little older than my 555ES, it it correct therefore that my 555ES can decode more different types of DVD-sound?

Could you direct me to a site with some info on the 777, as I am cery interested in it's technical data and performance.

Belgarath