What amp to get

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RonFla, Jun 11, 2004.

1. RonFla

RonFla Extra

I hope i am not double posting. if so i am sorry. I was thinking about upgrading my reciever. I called a store near me for laughs and the guy says to get an amp instead. I have seen this talked about and it's a good idea. My question is what can i get in the $500 - $700 range or so. Also how many channels should i look for? i'm thinking 5 channels for all my speakers since i have no way to calibrate my sub with threciever i have now. I'm going up to see this guy tomorrow and i'd like to be sure i have some sort of idea what i'm talking about.[​IMG]

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

A few questions first:

- What receiver do you have?
    - With your current receiver, do you feel like you're running out of power?

Whe people add amplifiers, they do it in a few different manners:

- They might just add a 2-channel amp to power their front Left/Right speakers for stereo listening.
    - They might add a 5-channel amp to boost the output to all 5 channels.

Finally, keep in mind that amps can have an effect where the sound could be changed a bit - either good or bad. Also, it takes a doubling of amp power to get 3dB more of output. If you currently have a receiver that puts out a true 75 watts to all channels, then going to a 150 watt per channel amp would boost the level of output - but maybe not to a most impressive level. However, I have a feeling that it would be hard to find a 150 watt/5 channel amp for your budget range, unless you consider some used gear.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Adding an amp won't change that. Changing your receiver will.

And adding an amp requires that your receiver have preouts to accomodate that. Does it?

4. RonFla

RonFla Extra

i have a yamaha rx-v520 and i have klipsch speakers as mains. i thought if i could increase the watts to get a true level the klipsch would sound better. This reciever has 85 watss per channel but i think that's a measure of 2 channels correct? This reciever does have pre outs. Hmmm so i would be better off getting another reciver? could i use this one in conjunction with a new one? That makes no sense right

5. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

For your budget, it might be worth looking into replacing the receiver with one of the new Yamaha models.
    The benefits of that would outweigh the benefits of adding a power amp to your '520 IMHO.
    You would enjoy the YPAO (auto-calibration whichs works impressively) along with the ability to have 6.1 or 7.1 plus ProLogicIIx. Yamaha has upped the damping factor of the amplification too with the new series.
    Have a look and listen to the RXV1400 if you can.

6. RonFla

RonFla Extra

you have a point. i was at the audio store today and after determining the i had ne pre outs the guy suggested to get a better reciever and an amp later on if i wanted to. he suggested the marantz 5400 or 64 00. he also suggested to upgrade my mains from the klipsch ksf 10.5's i have now. i have been thinking about that also.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think you better think about what it is that you...

1) want out of your sound system
    2) what it is that your present system does well
    3) what it is that your present system doesn't do well

otherwise you're going to be spending money and not achieving anything substantial. Of course the store that sold you the stuff will congratulate you on your fine purchase.

Give some thought here RonFla. Maybe you're reaching the point where Klipsch just doesn't cut it for you and what you ought to be doing is thinking about new speakers. If so, there are many fine brands to consider and even internet brands are worth considering especially if you can find someone in your local area willing to let you come over and check theirs out.

8. RonFla

RonFla Extra

Agreed. The speakers need to be upgraded. I've already considered that. A better reciever i think is also going to help. This reciever is a low end reciever. If i upgrade the reciever the klipsch should sound a little better until i can upgrade the speakers correct? am i wrong in this thinking? Right now i can't do much with this reciever. What the guy pointed out to me was this reciever was not a 'discreet' reciever where the marantz and the other newer ones are which would improve the sound and add some flexibility if i wanted to add an amp later on. Am i going down the wrong road here? THe speakers do need to be upgraded no doubt but why add better speakers to a lousy reciever?

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

This reciever is a low end reciever.
    I understand that. If you've outgrown your old one then it might be time to move on. People use receivers for a lot of reasons, one being that they can function as the control center for everything hooked up to it: cable, games, CD player, DVD player, turntable, etc. As you move up the receiver food chain you get more power, more connection capability, more features, more decoding options, etc. If you haven't read the forum's FAQ then this is the time to do so. It'll help you with a lot of good information that you can use to define your needs.

If i upgrade the reciever the klipsch should sound a little better until i can upgrade the speakers correct?
    I don't know. Most Klipsch speakers have a fairly high sensitivity. It doesn't take a lot of power to drive them and if the room isn't gargantuan and the receiver's not being driven past its capabilities then it's a real tough call.
    If you make a move slightly upwards to a receiver further up on a manufacturer's line then decide whatever Klipsch has isn't for you, you just might find yourself having bought the wrong receiver for these other speakers. Then what? Sell the receiver at a loss? Buy an amp to drive the new speakers? Find out that if you'd bought say a Yamaha it would have solved all your problems?
    Its your money but I'd rather not see you making sliding motions side to side instead of walking straight.

Right now i can't do much with this reciever. What the guy pointed out to me was this reciever was not a 'discreet' reciever where the marantz and the other newer ones are which would improve the sound and add some flexibility if i wanted to add an amp later on. Am i going down the wrong road here?
    No you're not. Again, go to the forum's FAQ to familiarize yourself with all these terms. It'll make you a more knowledgeable consumer and go a long way to knowing that you're not being snowed.

THe speakers do need to be upgraded no doubt but why add better speakers to a lousy reciever?
    That's a fair point. At least right now you have sound. Maybe it's not the best but it puts you ahead of the game. If you're in the market for both items then it makes the most sense to pick your speakers first as that will go a long way in weeding out receivers that just don't cut it.
    You might find this thread, http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=198304 which dealt with a hypothetical 2K budget for a modest soup to nuts system to be of some help.

Give the matter more thought Ron. Maybe post back what your budget is for speakers and receiver as well as your room size. I'm sure you'll get a lot of useful suggestions and maybe one or two of them is right for you.

10. RonFla

RonFla Extra

Wow thanls for the responses. These have been very useful. The reason why i was considering the reciever first is because the budget isn't there yet but we do have things we can sell. In other words i can get one thing now and in a few weeks the other. THe guy at the store was recommending paradigm speakers to go with the marantz. keep in mind this guy is not pushing me at all. I'm also looking at subs and he has a paradigm pw-2200 on the floor he'd sell for $652. when i showed him svs's specs he said to go with them. HE agreed that better speakers than the klipsch would help. Right now they are loud. i want quality. The room is 13'6" wide by 20'8" deep.

I will go thru the FAQ's because my whole point to being here is to be as educated as i can. I will not spend money on a whim. Thanks again for all your help. i could go on all day.