what amp should i upgrade to? i have a pair of B&W 603s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carl Philip, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Carl Philip

Carl Philip Agent

yeah, that´s my question. bought a pair of B&W 603 S2s about a month ago and i´m feeding them with my Yamaha 795 which says it is 5*85W 8ohm (but it´s probably only half [​IMG] )
    however, i wanna buy something new to drive them with and what do you suggest? i want something powerful like Rotel or similar products. my idea is getting a poweramp and use the Yammy as a pre/pro. what do you think of that?
    i do like the sound from the B&Ws and Yamaha - not bright nor dark, just a little too less power i think.
    my budget is about $1000
    edit: i´m not sure whether i should get a 5 channel amp or just a 2channel. but 5 channels might be best
    thanks i advance!
    /Carl Philip

2. GaryMil

GaryMil Stunt Coordinator

I'm using a Sherbourn 5/1500a with my B&W CDM7's. I'm currently using a Denon 2801 as a preamp(on list for Outlaw 950). This combo does work well. I've read you could buy the amp as a demo or second hand for around the 1k mark, maybe a little higher. I actually paid $1199 for mine (Demo)a year ago and it has performed flawlessly.

3. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

Carl,

Get yourself a Rotel RMB-1075 and keep the Yamaha as your pre/pro. You won't believe the difference that amp will make for you, it's like a whole new world.

4. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

Carl,
    If yor budget is only $1000 I would check out Rotel 1075 and the ATI 1505. Both have gotten some great press (if that means anything to you)and you could probably get either one of these amps for about $1100 (onecall.com is selling the ATI for 1,100). I have a pair of B&W 604 s2 and right now I am also looking to upgrade my Yammy rec. I tried the 1075 and thought it sounded pretty good on HT but missing something on the highs and lows it 2 channel. The 603's my be a little easier to drive and this amp may be the perfect fit for you.

5. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

I will second and third the motion for the Rotel pieces. I just purchase and older 985 and it is wonderful. There are some Rotel amps used on Audiogon that you could purchase and save some money.

6. Carl Philip

Carl Philip Agent

Yeah I´m leaning towards the Rotel RMB-1075, but i got a fairly good deal on the Rotel RB-985 MK ll but it seems as if it´s an old piece of equipment (am i right?) so i dunno what to buy.

how much power should i be looking for to feed my 603s? and second, how does parasound mate with B&W speakers?