What's new

What amp(s) are you going to use with the Outlaw 950? (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I have my two Hafler DH220 power amps. One is working - I put in some mods a few years ago. The other I've been saving, but am building now with a new bridge rectifier I built with Harris hyper-fast diodes, primo electrolytics and new-design output boards by Musical concepts. That takes care of four channels. I don't know what I'll do for the 5th and 6th.
------------------
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Hi Gregg,
What made you decide to go with pro amps vs audiophile?? And then specifically why the decision to go with the USA line from QSC?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
This is just my opinion based on my own experience but from what amps I have owned ....a NAD and a B&K ..this USA 900 amp beats them to death in SQ and power.
Actually I purchased a used QSC USA 900 from a pawn shop about a year and a half ago with the intension of using it for subwoofer duty. I hooked it up to my main speakers one day and to make a long story short I never disconnected it.
The USAs are very popular in theaters and have a good reputation. I am happy with the USA so I might as well stick with the series. I should also add that the USA series has been around for quite a long time...the design is proven.
Most pro amps have fans but this is not an issue for me , hell my front projector's fan is twice as loud as the QSC's fan.
In my price range here are some possibilities...
USA 900 $500 range 270/450/550
RMX 1450 $400 range 280/450/700..note that this amp is more powerful and can be had for less but it is not THX certified(not that it means anything)It is an entirely different design of an amp than the USA series.
PLX 1202 $600 range 200/325/600
MX 700 $500 range 170/270/350(these have a good rep too)
Then there is the Powerlight,ISA,DCA and CX series which I am not very familiar with there pricing.
I too am going to trial some QSC amps to see how they compare to the Outlaw product (the 750). I chose the DCAs as that is what I was steered towards.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Good Luck, let us know what you think!

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Gregg, I also wanted to add that for most peoples listening levels and speaker loads my QSC runs ice cold...this means the amp will last a long time since heat is an amps worst enemy. You can bet that "audiophile" amp company's are compromising the amps life by using just heatsinks....they are simply not sufficient enough to cool a high powered amp. Try taking your fan off your computer processor's heatsink and see how long til your system crashes!
The only wear to these pro amps comes from turning them on and off...so I leave mine on 24/7.
Also my speakers are only rated at 150 WPC but I have ran nearly all of the 900 watts to them on a few occations...in other words the power is very clean!
I am spoiled now and could not settle for anything less than 400WPC. I will NEVER go back to "audiophile" amps.
------------------
James' DIY speakers

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Gregg,
Do I count?
biggrin.gif
I have three QSC DCA amps.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Hey, if they are good enough to use in THX certified theaters and rugged enough to be hauled around in racks for DJ's and outdoor events then they are good enough for my theater!
wink.gif

I have been using on QSC EX800 to power just my mains for quite some time and I just love the amp. I can not hear the fan at all even if I put my ear on the amp! Heck, the HUGE (and I do mean HUGE) transformer makes more noise then the fan that I can not hear!
Now, all I need is a nice Pre/Pro with all the decoding flavors of the month and I will be set for at least a few weeks!!! Hehehehehe
wink.gif

------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
The Digital Electronic Site
www.digitalvortex.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks