What's new

What amp for B&W Nautilus 802's? (1 Viewer)

Phil P

Agent
Any opinions on what monoblock amps to use with a 7.1 surround system with B&W Nautilus 802's as the front speakers? Price range is flexible.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I don't own N802 (God! I wish!) but I have read people who do have used Rotel RB-1090. Monoblock design 2x380W. I use them for my DM630s (and future N804) and I love it.
Marc

Phil Rose

Agent
I use Bryston 7B-ST's for my 802's and think that they sound very nice. They really tightened up the bottom end and deliver a nice top end. However, I auditioned the 802's with a Levinson 335 and must say that I was VERY impressed! I can't imagine not being absolutly satisfied with Levinson power for your 802's.

KeithR

Second Unit
Hmm..i didn't care for the levinson amps on the B&Ws. I like Classe with them (also a better value imho). Just goes to show, you have to have a good audition :)

Pete H

Stunt Coordinator
I am also trying to match an amp with the N802. I have eliminated a few. I am currently considering Chord, Pass Labs, Plinius, McCormack and Rowland.

PomingF

Second Unit
For some reason I am hearing more & more B&W dealers using McIntosh amps on the higher models. In fact I listened to my local dealer's N800 Signature/McIntosh set-up not too long ago and thought they sound very well together. That said I'm driving mine with a pair of Theta's and love it.

PF

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
If I owned B&W N802s, I'd mate them with a pair of Classe' CAM-350s. I like the Classe's smoother, warmer sound with the slightly bright and forward B&Ws. I love the Levinson monos (the 33 series, not the inferior 400 series with fans), but they're a bit too revealing of the B&Ws. McIntosh would also be a good choice with N802s.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Well let me throw a "wildcard" in. I have heard these speakers on the "AMPZilla 2000" monoblocs from Jim Bongiorno and from top to bottom, NOTHING is more real!!

I have heard them also on the Classe and the Theta, and I would still go AMPzilla.

I know they are funny looking but who listens with their eyes open anyhow?

Just my opinion

Regards

John

Phil Rose

Agent
Poming,

I was wondering if you ever got the Citadels before your source "melted down". Glad to see that you did. If you don't mind could you tell us how they compare to the 7B-ST's??

Thanks,
Phil

PomingF

Second Unit
Phil, it's funny you brought this up for I tried to e-mail you on more than one occasion without success figured you must have changed your addy. My amps were actually delivered a few weeks before the 'meltdown' which I'll be glad to share with you my experience later on off-line.
As good the 7B is, it's hard to imagine any better amp but the reality is as what Neil Sinclair said in his reply to Stereophile of their 'cost no object' approach in the Citadel's design. Right out of the box the Theta sounds 'darker' but already throws a bigger, deeper soundstage and yet puts out a lower SPL (quieter?) than the Bryston to where I have to dial up the Line 3 a few notches to maintain the same SPL. As break in continues it appears the Theta may lack some of the Bryston's sizzling highs and at times great speed but what it excels is more subtlety & texture within individual notes and higher contrast in between resulted in even better resolution esp with complex passages and more 'air' with vocals. In addition, the slightly attenuated highs and yet more authoritative (earth shaking, visceral kinda) bass of the Theta seem to match up sonically better with B&W than the Bryston. To me the Citadel's improvement over the 7B's is about what the Bryston does to the bridged Citation 7.1.
For more details and professional opinions I'll have to refer you to the 5/02 Stereophile where comparisons to other compatible amps are being made.
Again Phil, if interested PM or e-mail me for more 'meltdown' details.;) Cheers.
PF

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering these as my next speakers.

I have both Classe and Levinson gear and made a point to audition them with the 802s against a lot of other gear including: Bryston, Aragon, Krell, Theta, and so on...

My take: The Classe CAM 200-350s are darn near perfect for the buck.

The Levinson's offer much of the same and also cast a little more inner detail and depth in soundstage. I prefer the levinson by 2-5%. That is more than close enough so that depending on which one you could get a better deal on and also more importantly which one you like best.

Not familiar with the ampzilla recommendation.

Good luck.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Not familiar with the ampzilla recommendation
http://www.ampzilla2000.com/bonge2.html
Strange site, Great AMP!!
Bongiorno is a pioneer in the development of SS amplification and "according to him", most other "good" amps are based on his designs.
He was with SAE, GAS, amoung others.
He seems to operate in the "lunatic, egocentric, genius" area like a lot of "high end" designers.
John

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Am leaning towards levinson for fronts and proceed for rears, or mcintosh."

Phil,

Mark Levinson makes incredible amplifiers, some of the best for sure...but what are you using your system for? It looks like an HT setup since you are also contemplating surround speakers...or maybe Multi-channel Hi-Rez music?

Whatever the case, surely some of your local dealers will allow in-home auditions with some of the amps you are contemplating...the kind of money you are considering spending should allow for this.

I have a pair of 802s that I am powering with a Rotel 1090 for now. It's a great amp, but there are much better available. I have auditioned Mac, Krell, and BAT with my speakers and if price was no object, I would select the BAT 6200 over Levinson, Classe, and Proceed any day of the week. The 6200 can be fitted with as many channels as you need (up to 6, I believe)...so you can match your amps to your center speaker as well...

I am nailing down a deal as we speak for a Krell FPB-600. The FPB series is one hell of an amplifier and outperformed the two Macs I have tried. There are Macs that are better than the ones I had the opportunity to audition, the MC-202 and the MC-352...but you are going to pay for the performance.

The other fits for your system have been mentioned, but it looks like you have a good sized budget. Check out the Mac monos, the Krell FPB, Levinson, BAT, and Burmester.

Good Luck...and also, figure out where you want your system to excel...whether you are into vinyl (look at tube gear), HT (big ass, solid state amps), or digital music...take the time to find the correct fit for you.

Jeremy

Phil P

Agent
Thanks for all the suggestions. I plan to use my set up for about 60% HT and 40% music. Got a lot of research do do now with all these suggestions.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"I plan to use my set up for about 60% HT and 40% music."

Considering this, I would NOT spend a bunch of money on your surround channel amplifiers, like Proceed. There are plenty of excellent multi-channel amplifiers that will do just fine for surround duty.

Have you decided what speakers you will be using on your side and behind you (If 6/7.1)?

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks