What's new

what amp for 4 ohm speakers? (1 Viewer)

CodyL

Grip
I am looking to setup my new HT with GR-Research AV1+ speakers which are 4 ohm. Was going to get the Denon 1803, but the manual to the 2802 (supposedly close in specs) states not to run speakers below 6 ohm. Looked at the Outlaw 1050 and it doesn't comment on whether 4 ohm is OK either. I am new at this and have read all of the posts I could dig up on searches here, but I can't find a definitive answer on what my options are for a 4 ohm setup (preferably 6.1 - like the Denon). HELP a poor newbie! I have to know if these speakers are OK so I can get started building the cabinets to enclose the 106" screen that will incorporate my speakers of choice - so I must know my dimensions. I somewhat understand the ohm difference, I am just looking to see what I can affordably run that will handle 4 ohm speakers. thanks.

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
You should probably tell us your price range if you want recommendations for receivers or amps.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I agree with Jason...but I'll offer a suggestion or two anyway in terms of running 4 Ohms:

H/K's are rated to 2 Ohm in Stereo and handle 4 Ohm Multi-channel with no sweat. But they do not offer 6 channel amping...only decoding. Outlaw 1050 at $499 gives 6.1 and excellent power and sound but is getting a little dated. 4 Ohms should not be a problem.

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have an onkyo tx-ds494 (lowest in the onkyo line) and ran it at 4ohms for 6 hours a day with no problems whatsoever. Now I have a Yamaha and it too has no problems. Yamaha's and Harman Kardon's both have 4-8ohm switches. Almost any reputable brand wil work fine with 4 homs spekaers. The Denon will be fine, as would Marantz.
Later

CodyL

Grip
Price wise- I am thinking under 700 MSRP or so. Would like to pay in the $500's. I have thought about HK 520; pioneer 811; denon 2802 (or I'd really like to have the 1803 if it will drive 4 ohms). The outlaw is priced right, but as you said seems dated (and is damn ugly - which would matter to my wife :) yamaha 5560, onkyo 600, etc. I am NOT trying to build the envy of the neighborhood - just great sound for the money and the AV1+ speakers seem the way to go for best speaker for the money, but I need to be able to drive them at 4 ohm. I am surprised that receivers aren't rated for 4 ohms. thanks for your help, particularly in reference to anything you can tell me about the Denon.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Cody,

Now that we have some $ figures...H/K 320, Marantz 5200, Outlaw 1050, and the 1803/2802 should all be candidates.
Are you more heavily HT or Music?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
hi,
i'm interested in Magneplanars and these are also 4 ohm speakers.
i was talking to someone in the technical wing at Magnepan and he said that when a reciever uses the 8 ohm/4 ohm switches in the back, thats a sign that they aren't very good quality (maybe just in regards to running 4 ohms?).

i was under the impression that i was going to have to buy a seperate amplifiers, and processors, and what not, to get a good multi channel 4 ohm power source.

Do you guys really think i can get by w/ an HK or Denon, etc.

also, if i did buy one of these kinds of a/v recievers, does that mean i can just in the future purchase seperate amplifiers and plug those into the reciever?
-and then the reciever would just take in and decode the multi channel dd dts signal, and the amplifier would handel all the power to the 4 ohm speakers...right?

is there anything i should be looking for especially?

i too was hoping to find a multi channel 4ohm solution for under $700.

sorry for the remedial questions, but i'm kind of confused on the issues involved.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
There are no 4ohm/8ohm switches on Harman Kardon Receivers.

And the AVR 320 or AVR 520 (IMO) would offer you the best choice

Regards,

John Casler

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 5.1 system with maggies for speakers. MMG’s for mains, MGMC1 for surround and the MGCC1 For centre channel. All running off a Denon 3300.

I have had no problems with this set up and it sounds very good!

Truth is I am a tempted to upgrade the system, Maybe an outlaw pre/pro with the custom ICBM for maggies (yes they have one and it’s $75.00 more for it)

For power amps, I would most likely go with an ATI set up.

Greg_W

Stunt Coordinator
Yes you can use 4 ohm speakers, From Denon's website
www.usa.denon.com/support/faqs_ht.asp#Q9
i was talking to someone in the technical wing at Magnepan and he said that when a reciever uses the 8 ohm/4 ohm switches in the back, thats a sign that they aren't very good quality
A 4 ohm/ 8 ohm switch could indicate that the reciever has a weak power supply and cannot handle a 4 ohm load, the swicth limits the current the reciever will deliver.
Greg

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the replies.
the dealer i saw the maggies at let me take them home this weekend to demo.
he also gave me the reciever they were using in-store- an NAD T-761.
he said he would sell me this demo unit for $800.
is that a fair price w/ 2 years parts and labour?

i'm impressed with the reciever right off the bat.
before hooking up the maggies i disconnected the Rockets, which i'm also thinking about, from the Onkyo 600 i had been using and connected them up to the NAD.
HUGE difference.
it was almost like having different speakers.
i only listened to a couple tracks, but i was immediately aware of much 'cleaner' sound. a bigger swing in dynamics, from soft to loud at the same volume, and a little more precise imaging.
i only listened to a couple songs because i was eager to get the maggies set-up, but i was startled at the difference.
the Onkyo went back to the store an hour later.
it also has the best remote i've seen (although the on-screen display for changing some settings would be a major hassle)

the maggies sound good for the most part, but i don't think i can get anywhere near the soundstage they can in the store.
i have a low ceiling and limited options to place them, especially when watching movies.
after a couple hours of listening to various things, i'm actually anxious to hook the rockets back up and listen to them in a HT application (which was their strong suit anyway even on the Onk).

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Paul The NAD surprised you did it. That is a common thing to happen. I have used NAD equipment for a number of years. I have a full NAD two channel system at home. For the money, you will be hard pressed to find a better sounding equipment. Only reason I did not go NAD on the HT is the T761 was not out.
Also check audiogon for deals on the NAD. One dealer is selling factory refurbish unit for a good price. www.spearitsound.com I know nothing about them, just that they claim to have T761’s refurbish for $599.

CodyL

Grip
i am getting closer to a decision. 811S or the Denon 1803. Both seem to have pluses/minuses for my needs. About 85%HT 15% music (clean crisp sound over heavy bass rock). Matched with GR-Research AV1+ front/center and AV1 surrounds and Tempest or Shiva sub. Cannot find anywhere to demo in a satisfactory way (poor speakers, etc). Help me make the call.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks