What's new

What amp breaker and AWG to use for dedicated HT line? (1 Viewer)

Michael Ipp

Stunt Coordinator
Running a dedicated line to power my tv and amps. What amp breaker should I use and what size wire? I was told to use 15amp and 12awg. Any thoughts?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Michael,

How many amps, and how powerful? Depending on the answer, it might not be a good idea to put the TV on the same circuit.

That said, 12ga. wire is fine for circuits up to a 20A.

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ScottFauque

Agent
Make sure they run a dedicate neutral wire for that/those outlets as well. Often they will share a neutral wire with a circuit breaker "next" (on opposite phase/leg/pole) to it. Doing it again I would also have them run a dedicated ground back to your electrical box as well. You can buy isolated ground plugs very cheaper.
Various related item discussed here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=30633
Hope that helps! ... the things I wish I knew when I was building...

michael_I

Auditioning
Right now I have one 500w A/V Reciever and one 400w amp. Unfortuantly I only have room for two more lines. I have the TV, my HT equipment and a 110v A/C. My thought was run the A/C on the seperate line to avoide spikes and dips.

thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks