What's new

What am I really losing by not having DVI ? (1 Viewer)

John.W

Agent
So my panny 53 has 2 sets of component inputs but no DVI. My Panny DVD is Only component out and when we lauch HDTV next month @ work the Boxes are Component out too. If I wanna run my PC to the TV I can get a ATI 9800 with a dongle to go Component. So am I really missing anything? Reason i ask Is I saw a new model of my set and it has DVI input. Is there a way to "upgrade" my set, or should I not worry with such details cause I'm not missing out?

Thanks

Josh Q S

Stunt Coordinator
From my understanding and experience, DVI is the highest quality signal possible. I connect my dreamcast through my HDTV's DVI and the clarity surpases my Xbox at 480p or 1080i via AR's $60 component cables. DVI is 100% clean, not to mention digital, whereas component is still analog.

I have no idea if you can "upgrade" your set to accept DVI.

Personally, I'm very glad I got an HDTV with DVI inputs, although it upsets me that the newer game systems didn't take a hint from the Dreamcast and make vga boxes for them. I'm hoping Xbox 2 and PS3 will have DVI... They better :)

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
Josh, I think you might be confusing your TV's vga-style RGB input with DVI. They are not the same. DVI is bigger with more pins. Your right about DC quality though, and hopefully the next consoles will support both component and VGA, but I doubt it. JohnW, I wouldn't worry about it; certainly its a useful connector but you can still get HD through componentx3RCA and quality is the same. People will say DVI is better because it is uncompressed but I've read that there is really no difference and that DVI is touted as being better just because hollywood wants the copy-protection it can provide. HD-DVD may be a problem though, as it could be DVI-only. Standards are still being decided so its hard to say at this point.

ScottPe

Auditioning
I can't really speak to the PQ difference between component and DVI when it comes to HDTV, but I can definitely say that without a doubt, watching DVD over DVI was a HUGE difference in PQ vs component for me on my Sony HS10 projector. The image was much sharper, had better color, and scaling/deinterlacing artifacts were all but eliminated.

Eliminating the D/A --> A/D conversions makes a big difference. The all digital data path is definitely where it's at!

Based on my experience, and feedback I've heard from countless others, DVI is definitely *NOT* overrated...

--Scott

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, thanks for the info. I believe DVI would be more beneficial in your case because you use an LCD projector, where everything can stay digital. Its that way with LCD's and plasmas, because they are digital; for everything else, the picture must be converted to analog anyway. BTW, are is your DVD player outputting 480p or is it upscaling to 1080i or 720p like several of the DVI players?

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I also have the Bravo D1.

Samsung also makes a DVD player with DVI output.

Marantz also makes a very expensive DVD player with DVI output, but it has the dreaded Chroma bug! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks