What's new

What am I missing? (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I read all the discussion here about subs and their sound. I see many make their own sub. I am wondering if I am missing something. My theater is about 12’ x 14’ and I am using a Sony 12” forward facing sub. At ¼ volume, my SPL is in line with my other speakers. I put a plywood floor on 2 x 2s over my basement floor, but I can not feel the base on the floor. I do feel the bass in the upstairs floor, and the sub can rattle everything else in the room if I turn it up. I do run it a little “hot”, but any more bass and it will be disproportionate with the rest of the audio. I realize that it goes down to 30Hz and other subs can go lower. I have some questions:
What does the lower Hz add to the experience?
What is the advantage to more sub speakers if the SPL is the same?
What am I missing?
Should I ask? Is ignorance bliss?
Thanks,
Dave

John S

Senior HTF Member
Get a meaner sub. :)

The lower it goes the more you generally will feel it.
Sounds like you did a really good job on your floor.

Have you moved it around some, to see if placement in general could have some bearing on it? You would be surprised the difference it can make.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

So, once you REF Calibrate a SVS for example, it really won't change the overall volume levels that your familiar with from your AV REC sub's x-over up to your highs, ... but you'll hear an "...increased ... overall Dynamic Capability .... by playing back unknown/unfelt/unheard pant-leg flapping LFE ENERGY already encoded in your Blockbuster DVD’s".

I agree with John, room integration location for your sub is a key to maximize the performance. Read this on-line article "Sub-woofer Purchasing, Positioning and Calibration" from SMR HT website.

Phil

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"What does the lower Hz add to the experience?"

Two things.

You will be able to locate all the loose screws in the room.

You will eventually discover the resonant frequency of your chest cavity.

(I.e. in movies there is often sound you cannot hear but can feel ... deep ... deep in your chest)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Elinor always cracks me up :D

Resonant frequency of your EYEBALLS is more like it. Ever had an eyeball massage..from the inside? :eek:

What the added depth seems adds that extra tactile dimension; impact that a lesser sub cannot deliver. What you are literally missing is some of the really low information that most subs do not reach. The Grudge is a good example. It's not the greatest flic (I enjoyed it), but it is fun and I was quite surprised at the amount of ominous, low bass that was used and very effectively I must say.

LFE should be felt, not heard :D

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Let me see...

- unknown/unfelt/unheard pant-leg flapping LFE ENERGY! :emoji_thumbsup:
- locate all the loose screws in the room! :emoji_thumbsup:
- discover the resonant frequency of your chest cavity! :)
- Resonant frequency of your EYEBALLS! :)
- an eyeball massage..from the inside! :star: :star:

Sounds like a monster truck show!! :D

Guess I am missing a lot! I need to get some of this. How do I talk the wife into putting it into the budget?

Dave

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Budget twice as much as you need: the other half gets HER nice jewelry/new stainless fridge/whatever tickles her fancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks