What am I missing.....?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Cam McFarland, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

As I am contemplating an IB sub I have been doing some looking, and I came across this statement through a link, but unless there is some formula I dont know to use.....????

Is the following quote just a typo....??

I think it should be "PE however 'de-rates' the power handling BY 140 watts when the driver is mounted in an IB, not TO 140 watts.....

A 40% decrease in power from 350 watts would be
    210 watts......or is this another of those things I'll never understand....lol

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I think the typo is funny but it doesn't matter... the general idea is that IB or dipole use significantly reduces power handling compared to regular boxes. I bet they meant they derated the rating to 40% of original. You'll have to use simulations to accurately predict how much power an IB sub can handle at the frequencies you use it for.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Sometimes I just crack myself up, being dyslexic makes life SO interesting...... [​IMG]

Let's see last time I checked .4 times 350 = 140

Michael's correct they derate the power handling to 40% of the drivers original rating

4. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

So, it actually is derated "TO" 40% of orginal wattage, & not "BY" 40% of original wattage.
    Wow, so it should be 140 instead of 210....