what am I missing DVD changers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoon Lee, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

When you buy a DVD changer at about the same price of a single DVD player from the same maker, what are we missing from DVD changer? Since they are priced same and DVD changer has extra mechanism for handling multiple DVDs, I guess, something is sacrificed to compensate that extra cost, isn't it?

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

IMO, well the sacrifice is in dependibility and long life expectency... however, this is not a given.
    I've owned and sold many multichanger DVDs and have never had a problem with any of them. Then again, I had two out of three problems with the Pioneer triple drawer CDR/W players.
    "So, punk, do you feel lucky... well punk, do you?"
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I don't think you're giving up anything. Granted, any time you buy a unit that has more moving, mechanical parts than another, you have to consider that it may break down sooner than the other....but that's not a rule by any means.
    DVD technology is just cheap now. More people are demanding changers, so the market is adjusting to meet those demands.
    It's the same way with CD players. When they first became very popular, single players were all you could find (in a reasonable price range anyway). The changers were ultra expensive (the same way DVD players were until recently).
    Now, you have to go to store after store to find a single CD player. About the only place you can get one now is by buying a pro audio deck.
    The same will happen with DVD. Changers will become more and more the norm until it's hard to find a single player. The cost of manufacturing is close or the same and more people will buy changers than single players.