what am I hearing?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ben_wood, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

This probably sounds like a dumb question. . . but, here goes. I have a Sony DVP-NS500V dvd/sacd/cd player. I presently only have a toslink optical cable providing the audio signal to my Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver. If I understand it correctly I can't get true SACD audio like this. This is probably why I have been underwhelmed by SACD. So what type of audio am I hearing when I play a sacd disc using these connections? Are there multiple audio soundtracks on sacds like DVD-A has? My thinking is I need to get 6 regular rca type patch cords and connect the 5.1 analog connections between my dvd player and receiver and go into the Onkyo's setup menu and set the cd source as analog. That way my dvd audio will still travel through the optical cable for movies and when I listen to sacd/cd's I will get the full benefit of the higher resolution. Is this correct? Thanks in advance!

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

I think you've got it figured out pretty well. As I understand it, most SACDs have a standard stereo track on the disk so you can listen on any CD player. In order to get the true SACD tracks you need to use the analog outs on your DVD player and send the 5.1 to your reciever via RCA cables.

I pretty much have the same setup with my DVD-A player. On my receiver, I have the optical cable set as the DVD input and AUX1 is taking the 6 channel inputs for dvd audio.

Good luck!

3. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply Adam! I just wish that things could be simple and all audio signals go through the optical link. And thats not even mentioning the problems with the lack of bass management using the 5.1 analog connection. [​IMG]

By the way, I've really been impressed with the DVD-a's that I have, and thats just listening to them with either DD or dts. I bet with a dvd-a player they really sound awesome!

[​IMG]

4. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Right now the reason that you have to listen to SACD and DVDAudio thru RCA jacks is to prevent the ability to make digital copies of the Hirez layer.[​IMG]